• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is adding a second workable Sei performance gainer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hallen

I nave a GTX 750Ti 2GB not SLI enabled. Will BOINC and Widows 10 run a matching second with the same performance?

Thread title should read:

Is adding a second graphics card a workable Sei performance gainer?

Last edited:
I nave a GTX 750Ti 2GB not SLI enabled. Will BOINC and Widows 10 run a matching second with the same performance?

Thread title should read:

Is adding a second graphics card a workable Sei performance gainer?
Been awhile since I have run SETI but i believe it runs scales 100%. since usually units are assigned to a certain GPU. Windows won't be improved by a second card, but gaming may will improve but the % will depend on the game.
EDIT: English is hard

Thanks for replying. I have a bid in on eBay and it's not such an expensive card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Light-Use-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649

I can experiment with it. If I can't run with two on the same rig I'll just use it to upgrade one of my lessor systems.

Meanwhile I'll see if I can get help on the SETI message boards.

OverClockers SETI thread has been pretty quit since I resumed crunching January of this year for old times sake.

There has been some excitement when Holdolin came in 10 Apr 2019 and ran off 38,719,081 credits between then and 6 June 2019.

The CPU manufactures are creating such great units now. I have a Ryzen 5 1600 on one cruncher and it gives such pleasure with just minimal tuning.

I see you have a Ryzen 7 2700X. Pretty nice.

I'll post here any 2 card solutions.

Last edited:
if you have the space and available power connetions (if applicable) you can add as many cards as you like. SETI isnt too dependent on PCIe link speed, so you can run many cards on risers if you wish.

I have one system running 10 GPUs. another user is running 14 GPUs.

the only tweak you may need to do, and only if you have mismatched GPUs, is editing your cc_config.xml file with the use all gpus flag set. otherwise it will only use the "best" card in the system. or all of them if they are matching GPUs.

Awesome. Glad it’s working well.

I have a question. Are you opposed to running Linux? There are some custom applications available in Linux that are not available in Windows. The Linux app is about 3x faster than the best Windows application. Your 750ti is just new enough to be able to run it. The app needs nvidia cards with CC 5.0 or greater

Holdolin was advocating Linux especially Ubuntu. So installed it and downloaded
Seti and discovered I didn't know how to execute anything. Then I changed the
resolution to an unsupported size I was unable to recover from so I fled back
to Windows. I still have the installation disk so I guess I should look for a book.

I have a question. Are you opposed to running Linux?

I was using Linux on one cruncher but couldn't get the graphics card installed so went back to Windows 10.

I very much liked the way it performed and I switched from Excel to LibreOffice as a result. I'm planning to update my skills when I get the time.

Meanwhile I'm having a problem with Windows mixed graphics cards. Are there any sources with help on BOINC Manager? seti.png

when using mixed cards, you need to add a cc_config.xml file that includes enabling the <use_all_gpus> flag

Code:
<cc_config>
    <options>
        <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>
    </options>
</cc_config>

like that. drop the cc_config.xml file into your BOINC main directory.

you need to do this no matter what OS you use, not just Windows, in order for BOINC to use all GPUs when they are not the same. Otherwise BOINC will only use the "best" GPU

Did you restart boinc? You need to stop it and restart it.

Yes several times. I'm guessing it was ignored because of I used text editor. I downloaded Altova StyleVision but that only creates *.pxf files. Let me search for something that's *.xml.

That shouldn’t matter. Using notepad is fine if the file is an .xml extension which it looks like it is.

Post the event log at startup.

Also try going to the options tab (I think) on BOINC manager and select “read config files”

Back