• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it my NIC, MS OS or something else? Computer Freezes for Internet Connection?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Scott.... I'm not suggesting you are wrong..just seeking more clarity. Assuming it's not software (big assumption hah), how does one know the RESTART problem is a PSU issue and not a hardware mobo issue?

As far as the ISP being a PSU, how so?

They only reasons I'm less inclined to think the PSU is lessl likely related to ISP connectivity is usually when my computer starts up and I cannot access my ISP (freezes my entire computer too-weird), is usually (9 out of 10) when I restart in safe mode the system goes right into windows and connects to my ISP w/no issues.

I'm not suggesting it's the PSU.
If it was PSU related, you could just load up a GPU or CPU stress test and it should shut down.
I'm suggesting a power problem on the motherboard.
That would account for the randomness on the boot up and the dropping on your nic after in windows.
You said it was becoming more frequent over time. It will only get worse.

He also has a PSU thread going at the same time..................................................

I'm not suggesting it's the PSU.
If it was PSU related, you could just load up a GPU or CPU stress test and it should shut down.
I'm suggesting a power problem on the motherboard.
That would account for the randomness on the boot up and the dropping on your nic after in windows.
You said it was becoming more frequent over time. It will only get worse.

Oh I see, crap. This is not good at all. I suspected the same, but as ED said below, I posted in the PSU section so I can rule out my PSU.

I looked through my Event Viewer, and I didn't see anything that made sense. The Hardware section was completely empty as well.

I had a Kernel crash of sorts, but I don't see this type of error when I have those odd startups I described. Here's the Kernel info below. This error happened when streaming some video and surfing the net, nothing unusual.

The ONLY software related error I have found is this odd one, it did not occur at a system startup. I can't seem to find an error that corresponds to these restarts unfortunately. The QueenCreek error, I have a tone of them, that much I know.

The description for Event ID 2 from source ESRV_SVC_QUEENCREEK cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Error [2]: [ERROR_APPLICATION_UNABLE_TO_INIT_INPUTS][0x7a].
Problem: [Input Library [9]: [C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\QUEENCREEK\intel_sampler_input.dll] - [48edbf82-c224-43f0-a4f8-96546e68aebd] Failed To Initialize.].
Solution: [Please Check the Input Library.].
Occurred: [Sat Jul 15 12:32:48 2017].
In file: [intel_modeler_open_device.c].
At line: [7558].

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

Detailed View:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] ESRV_SVC_QUEENCREEK

- EventID 2

[ Qualifiers] 16384

Level 3

Task 1

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2017-07-15T19:32:48.000000000Z

EventRecordID 1243

Channel ESRV_SVC_QUEENCREEK

Computer Home-PC

Security

- EventData

Error [2]: [ERROR_APPLICATION_UNABLE_TO_INIT_INPUTS][0x7a]. Problem: [Input Library [9]: [C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\QUEENCREEK\intel_sampler_input.dll] - [48edbf82-c224-43f0-a4f8-96546e68aebd] Failed To Initialize.]. Solution: [Please Check the Input Library.]. Occurred: [Sat Jul 15 12:32:48 2017]. In file: [intel_modeler_open_device.c]. At line: [7558].

KERNEL ERROR:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2017-07-15T19:30:26.086408100Z

EventRecordID 452304

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer Home-PC

- Security

[ UserID]

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

Last edited:
I installed Prime95 v28.10 as instructed in this post. 2 things happened.

Note I disconnected my ISP cable from the NIC card to avoid any issues in running the test.

1. When I try to run it in Win7, after about 10 seconds, it fails. I get the BSOD instantly. Prime's self test check didn't even have time to show up in the Worker screens, that's how quick the failure was.

What do people recommend?

2. I started up Windows in Safe Mode with networking- Prime is able to run- at the moment the following tests have passed

Test 1 44000 Lucas-Lehmer iternations......
Sefl-test 384K passed
Test 1, 3200000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations.....
Test 2, 3200000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations.....
Self Test 8K Passed

and more tests, I'm at Test 1 31000 currently. I see no failures, both in the Pass 1 and Pass 2 of each Test, and all Self-Tests have passed for each Worker Window, there are 4 total.

SOOO, so far, what does this mean? My MemTest didn't show anything for well over 24 hr, 14 passes, or maybe that was 48 hr and 14 passes. Either way, it didn't reveal anything for my RAM up to that point.

Any suggestions?

Is this Mobo related, PSU related?

Why would Prime instantly fail in Windows but not when booted into Windows Safe Mode w/networking. This is also what I observed with my networking problem. Works fine in safe mode, but has problem in non-safe mode Windows desktop.

How long should I let the Prime test run??

You can stop it now.
Prime runs in safe mode because it's only running the bare minimum in your system with no outside drivers. Peripherals don't run without drivers. It's less load. You're basically running nothing.
Because prime crashed immediately when in full OS, I would replace the PSU first. If it's not that, the board is the problem.
Can't tell now without changing out parts. ;)
It's power related.

BTW, this error
ESRV_SVC_QUEENCREEK
is related to the Intel Driver Update Utility.
Un-install that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help.

Is it likely that it could be my RAM even though Memtest86+ revealed no errors after over 24 hr and 14 passes? I realize it's possible, but is it probable?

When PSU is replaced, if problem still occurs does one replace the board at that point?

If so, I'll build a new rig instead perhaps.

Back