• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it over for her? I killed her?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AMD has different pricing than Intels do.

Mind you each has there own specific +'s. Me I prefer intel CPU's, they do a lot more work per cycle than an AMD system, get great OC's and still run very cool. AMD's can be cheap to build and still preform nicely. Just because they are both 3.3Ghz doesn't mean they are equal. ;)

Theres alot more to consider in that comparison. The I3 cant be overclocked, and is a dual core. In 32bit or single thread operations @ stock speed the I3 is faster. In heavily multi threaded operations or when overclocked the AMD will be faster. AMDs prices are at an all time low these days as they struggle to stay in business.

The AMD equivalent to a Core i5 2500K is the FX-8170. If you plan to overclock then the 2500K is currently the clear winner, if not then you can go with either and you'd be perfectly happy.

I've mates running FX-41xx chips and they're quite happy with it for gaming so in all honesty, almost anything from either company has enough grunt to satisfy the majority of users out there.

Theres alot more to consider in that comparison. The I3 cant be overclocked, and is a dual core. In 32bit or single thread operations @ stock speed the I3 is faster. In heavily multi threaded operations or when overclocked the AMD will be faster. AMDs prices are at an all time low these days as they struggle to stay in business.

More complicated than that really. It also comes down to how well threaded the software is that you're running. Heaviliy threaded software will often benefit from the AMD's FX architecture. The reallity of things is however that most current software isn't heavily treaded and also many types of appications or tasks wouldn't actually benefit from being more highly threaded.

Last edited:
Just becasue the Connector is giving you correct amount, under load it cant handle it. That Azzzap sound you heard could be any number of things. Have you pulled the mobo out and looked around, the back side for any burnt spots?
The PSU connector might be good, but the mobo connector could have fried. For $300 you could replace CPU, Mobo, ram and PSU. Not top grade stuff, but it would get you back up and running.

Back