• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it possible to repin a PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

hello i have an HP computer with a 240 watt proprietary psu. is it possible for me to take a standard 24 pin ATX psu and repin it so the wires in the ATX psu motherboard conector conector match thoes in my proprietary psu.i tried plugging my ATX psu into my mobo and the pc started beening telling me it wasnt getting the recomended amount of power heres my psu specs

power supply:240-watt 85% efficient* BTX power supply – Active PFC
operating voltage range:90 to 264VAC
rated voltage range:100 to 240VAC
rated line frequency:50/60 Hz
operating line frequency range:47–63 Hz
rated input current:3.5A/1.75
heat dissipation:Typical 270 btu/hr
(68 kg-cal/hr)
Maximum 1025 btu/hr
(258 kg-cal/hr)
power supply fan:varriable speed fan

Last edited:
without some punctuation this post is very confusing. just a couple of periods would do :)

not sure what the 24 pin atx power connector has to do with the molex connector. are you asking if you can repin both the 24 pin and the molex?

im asking if i can pop the pins out of the atx psu's mother board plug and put them back in the same wholes as my proprietary psu so that the wires in the atx psuy are in the same holes as the proprietary psu

Just google the pinout for a 24-pin ATX PSU and will know what goes where. Both standards are really just "keyed" differently.

so what your saying is that my proprietary psu is the same as an ATX psu but that the pins are in different places am i correct

Well from the specs you posted in your first post up there, I read "BTX power supply". If so, then yes, just check the pinout patterns for both standards and repin. Anyway you can see which cables carry which voltages as they are normally color-coded.

BTW, you gonna need a pin extractor tool to do that.... or nerves of steel!

can you post a link to the site that has the pinouts for both the BTX and ATX power supplys i cant find them on google

im asking if i can pop the pins out of the atx psu's mother board plug and put them back in the same wholes as my proprietary psu so that the wires in the atx psuy are in the same holes as the proprietary psu

It shouldn't be too difficult to pull the pins. I recommend using a pin extraction tool.

Another option would be to buy an atx main power extension cable, and switch the wires. If you do that, you can use any standard atx power supply. I suspect most of the wires are the same, so you should only have to cut and splice a few wires. The extension cables are pretty cheap.

This one is $5, from a usa seller. It will be a tiny bit cheaper from china, but the shipping will take a while.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Pin-ATX-...S_Power_Cables_Connectors&hash=item1c34a9ce1a

i also need help finding the pin out for the 4 pin cpu plug that plugs into the mobo to power the cpu

it has a 24 pin mobo cable as well as the 4 pin cpu cable ,y pc came out in 2008 its a business pc from hp

i also need help finding the pin out for the 4 pin cpu plug that plugs into the mobo to power the cpu

The yellow wires are +12
The black wires are ground.

They are wired in reverse from 4 pin pci-e cables, though I have no idea why.

Back