• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is PSU a problem... or just drivers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J-O_S-H

Hey there

So, i recently replaced my monitor on my computer to a 2560x1440.

My parents wanted my old 1080p monitor for the downstairs PC since theirs was damaged and smaller, but they needed a graphics card to be able to use it effectively, I put my old gpu in but they needed a new power supply.

I ended up aquiring a PC Power & Cooling 850-SSI for cheap, i though hey that will be fine for the old card I put in there, even overkill.

But when i got it I didn't realise how big it was, it wouldn't fit in their little case, so for now they have my HX620 and i've had to use the PCP&C one because I have the room.

The thing is the PSU is pretty old and didn't have the 8 pin connecter i needed, just the 2 6 pins.

I currently have one of the 6 pins with an adapter to fit, but since all of thisd my computer seems to randomly restart during gaming.

My question is if the psu is what is causing this, or could it be something else entirely like my GPU drivers that i updated before the switch.

Specs :

i7 920
3 HDD's
DVD r/w drive
HD 7870 Tahite LE
6gb OCZ reaper ram

PSU Specs :

Brand
PC Power and Cooling

Model
T85SSI

Series
TURBO-COOL 850 SSI

Spec

Type
SLI, EPS12V, SSI

Maximum Power
850W Continuous @ 50°C

Fans

PFC
Active

Main Connector
24Pin

+12V Rails
Triple +12V

SLI
SLI Certified

CrossFire
CrossFire Ready

Modular
No

Power Good Signal
300ms

Hold-up Time
24 ms

Efficiency
85%

Over Voltage Protection
Yes

Overload Protection
Yes

Input Voltage
90 - 264 V

Input Frequency Range
47 - 63 Hz

Input Current
12A@115V

MTBF
120,000 hours

Approvals
UL/ ULC/ CE/ TUV

Features

Connectors
24-pin, 8-pin, 4-pin, dual 6-pin video, 6 SATA, 8 Molex, 1 mini

Also been experiencing random screen flashes, not sure if it's related or also a driver issue. (Catalyst 13.1 driver)

Thank you for taking the time to read, any help is greatly apprecited

Josh.

Which catalyst 13.11? Try the newest beta.

(I would look at drivers first. Plenty of power there)

If the problem started when you swapped PSUs, there's the issue.

Completely cleaned the system of all old drivers and reinstalled the newest beta ones. Unfortunately made no difference.

SO I guess my next option is to buy a new PSU and hope I didn't break something else.

ANy reccommendations on a particular model, i'm in the UK so not everything is as cheap here or even priced in the same way.

Guessing a 600w would be plenty considering I only have the one GPU, will need something with at least one 6 and one 8 (Or 6+2) pin PCI-E connecter.

Go to the Power Supply Guide link in Earthdog's signature and grab yourself a 500-550W modular PSU. It will be overkill for a 920/7870 combo.

The Seasonic G 550 is a great unit

You can always test the system by putting in your old psu just to make sure the problem is indeed the PC Power and cooling PSU.

I've ordered a new PSU, should get it tomorrow.

Waaaaaaay overkill but for the price it was a bargain : Silver Power SP-S850M (From the suggested list).

Will keep you posted.

UPDATE #1: No PSU delivered today, Got several emails saying it would be here today, it was out for delivery, then got some email full of lies, something about them trying and failing, as if they couldn't be bothered, there have been people in all day waiting for it. Fun times. Better luck tomorrow I hope.

Last edited:
New PSU here and installed, Seems i was stupid and didn't really read what I was buying, got the non modular version. Oh well, seems to work plus I have a gorilla in my case.

Rift used to restart the pc within 3 minutes, been playing a while and it seems fine:)

Thanks for your help.

Josh

Back