• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this SeaSonic PSU enough for my build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

driedupfish

Registered
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($289.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.52 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($88.53 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S223C DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Full (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1119.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-10 10:30 EST-0500)

I like this build very much. My only concern is, will the Seasonic PSU (SeaSonic M12II 620W) be enough for this build if I ever plan to overclock the CPU and 7950? This PSU seems to have great reviews so I would prefer to buy this one.

Or maybe you guys can recommend something else around the same price range ( ~$90)

Last edited:
Yeah, that PSU is plenty. Your CPU + GPU TDP is ~280W, so you'll definitely have room to overclock since the 12v rails can handle up to 576W on that PSU.

Just to be clear I was talking about the SeaSonic M12II 620W

Initially I bought the Corsair TX650. The fan turns on when the system starts but stops spinning few seconds later. I read that the fan speed is thermally controlled so I put my rig under heavy load by running Prime95 and Heaven Benchmark at the same time. CPU and GPU temp gets to around low 60's C but the fan still is not spinning ! Maybe the unit is defective?

Last edited:
Initially I bought the Corsair TX650. The fan turns on when the system starts but stops spinning few seconds later. I read that the fan speed is thermally controlled so I put my rig under heavy load by running Prime95 and Heaven Benchmark at the same time. CPU and GPU temp gets to around low 60's C but the fan still is not spinning ! Maybe the unit is defective?

Yes, your CPU and GPU had heavy load, but the PSU didn't have heavy load on it. The ~280W of the CPU and GPU at stock isn't much for a 650W PSU, so it's quite possible the PSU didn't get hot enough for the fan to turn on. The PSU doesn't care about the temps of your other components, only itself. The 60C of the CPU and GPU isn't hot anyway :D

The Seasonic units have the same type of thermal fan control, so you may see the same behavior as you saw with the Corsair unit.

The suggestions by RT are good as well, but those unit are non-modular. So, if you want modular then you'll be happier sticking with the M12II.

driedupfish,

Matt is correct, 60C CPU and GPU temps are not high at all. Read some of our reviews here that our own Oklahoma Wolf and Bobnova do regarding PSU temps / fan controls:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

Personally I'm sold on the modulars. If you're not SLI then they are very convenient and tidy for using only cables that you need but you should get many years of good performance with what you bought.

Yes, your CPU and GPU had heavy load, but the PSU didn't have heavy load on it. The ~280W of the CPU and GPU at stock isn't much for a 650W PSU, so it's quite possible the PSU didn't get hot enough for the fan to turn on. The PSU doesn't care about the temps of your other components, only itself. The 60C of the CPU and GPU isn't hot anyway :D

The Seasonic units have the same type of thermal fan control, so you may see the same behavior as you saw with the Corsair unit.

The suggestions by RT are good as well, but those unit are non-modular. So, if you want modular then you'll be happier sticking with the M12II.

Thermally controlled fan just makes it hard to tell whether the fan is actually working. I have been doing many stress tests on the new build (Prime95, 3DMARK...etc) and I have never seen the fan spin! The PSU is warm to the touch. I'd imagine the fan should at least spin at low speed. On the Corsair box it shows that the fan should start spinning at about 30% system load (watts).

Back