• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to Y 2 PSUs into one ATX port?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCN00B

Registered
I wanted to ask if it is possible to take two equal PSU outputs, and Y them into one ATX power cable, and into the single port on the mobo. In essence doubling wattage delivery.

Obviously get a bigger PSU, but curious to know.

You can use two PSUs by using a relay to pull down the PS_ON signal of the slave PSU, or a switch to manually start the slave PSU. This would use one of the PSUs (the master one) to power the board and you could use the other one for GPUs, HDDs or whatever.

Y-ing PSUs as you said is not a recommended procedure, you could have magic smoke somewhere.

Yes, wiring PSUs in parallel is never a good idea. Series is doable, but unless you're looking to power some 24V item, it's pretty useless for a PC. Go for the larger PSU instead, or as txus.palacios stated, use one PSU for the board, the other PSU for GPU, HDD, etc.

Yes, wiring PSUs in parallel is never a good idea. Series is doable, but unless you're looking to power some 24V item, it's pretty useless for a PC. Go for the larger PSU instead, or as txus.palacios stated, use one PSU for the board, the other PSU for GPU, HDD, etc.

That actually confuses me. I would have expected parallel would work, as the voltage stays the same.

Reason I'm asking guys is that this is for a car PC, and the largest car PSU; with smart turn on (ideal for car PCs) is 250W/300W Peak.

The problem wattage problem that I'm facing is PCIe boards. The calculations that I run tell me that x16 PCIe slots suck alot of juice. Some say that the wattage is based on the board itself and not the x16. With that said, the DVR card alone is asking 300W recommended. This wattage I'm assuming comes from the capabilities of wiring up x16 cameras, assuming average wattage of 18W.

So if I can't Y the into the 24 pin on the mobo, what about Y-ing into the 12V 8pin on the mobo?

If you connect PSUs together that way, their regulators will fight one another and possibly cause harmful oscillations.

Back