• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth getting Win7 Pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Media

Building my new rig and I was wondering besides the pointless "advantages" on Windows website comparing these, is there a reason to get Win 7 Pro 64-Bit over Home Edition 64-bit?

System specs here:

i7 3770K
ASUS Sabertooth Z77
Corsair 8GB 1866MHz Vengeance
120GB OCZ V3 SSD
AMD Radeon 7970

8GB is enough for a long time for daily users, and 16GB is plenty for the solid media editor. More than that is in the range of professional HD media editing, numerical analysis that stores everything in the RAM during calculations, etc.

So I can go 16GB on the Home Edition and be good. Wouldn't the Home Edition be faster in ways since its not as large of an OS as Professional?

Not really, I have Ultimate and Home Premium on various machines and I can't tell the difference.

I guess Professional is the way to go, I like that Windows XP Mode option as well.

In addition to XP mode and increased RAM capacity, you can also join the computer to a domain. If you'll ever be working in a setting with an internal domain you'll be glad to have it.

I think I will be

If I remember correctly you also can't remote desktop from home edition software if that matters to you.

there is a way to enable remote desktop but i dont think that would be a discussion welcomed here, and it is just not ethical to do so ;)

Curious to know the GB size between the versions. I think Home Edition would be the lightest OS, since its not as packed. This is going on an SSD

My Ultimate installation is about 25GB with MS Office.

Dang. And wasn't Windows 7 supposed to be even less than Vista? Wasn't Microsoft advertising that an install of Windows 7 over Vista would actually regain you like 6GB at least? Can't imagine what Windows Vista Ultimate was than.

My Win7 Ultimate C Drive is 17GB. I partition my drive and installed all large apps to E:\Program Files instead of C:\Program Files.

My WinXP is 10GB.

Have Windows 7 Home, Pro, and Ultimate, but I cant tell the differences even I use only 4GB.

if you've got old stuff than maybe xp compatability might be worth it... but remote desktop software can be had easily.. teamviewer

whats the price difference?

Back