• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Linux Ready For Prime Time?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Absolutely not. Support for new hardware is not up there with Windows. I CANNOT get Linux to install on my current machine.

I don't believe you. The distro you might have chosen can't be installed since it has a kernel which is too old. Linux kernel itself currently works with all new hardware, at least to be able to install it.

I agree with klingens- the latest kernal should cover almost all of the hardware, including chipsets, vid cards, NICs and such- I'm talking 32 bit here.

For those that say it can't be done, I ask you to try the PCLinuxOS (Big Daddy .93a) Live CD. If it runs well live, it will run run BETTER installed. And it is VERY easy to install either sandalone or in a dual boot with windows.

The linux guys here may roll their eyes at my continued enthusiasm in this distro, but of all of them that I have tried (around 10-15 distros) , PCLinuxOS is the easiest to install, maintain, customize, and upgrade.

And it has all of the ability once installed to do deep linux stuff as well (if that's what you want).

Whatever, its just my opinion, spoken from my experience. I hate to see folks turn away from Linux without giving this distro a try.

Saying that there is going to be more malicious software/hacking attempts when Linux goes mainstream isn't exactly fair. More than 70% of the web sites on the Internet are running Apache, and a large portion of those are LAMP servers. When a security flaw is found, it's generally sealed within 24 hours. Viruses just aren't practical on a UNIX/Linux system, as the only way they can do real damage is to somehow gain control of the root user.

That's what I mean... people are trying to find a way. Constantly. A huge portion of the internet already runs on Linux/UNIX. People have been targetting *nix and trying to develop malicious code in force since the internet began.

And these are the big boys, real hackers. On a LAMP server, script kiddies need not apply.

klingens said:
I don't believe you. The distro you might have chosen can't be installed since it has a kernel which is too old. Linux kernel itself currently works with all new hardware, at least to be able to install it.
Whether you believe me or not, that is the fact. I have tried Gentoo 2006.1, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Suse 10.1 and Redhat EE (this was the only old distro). They were tried on an AM2 and a Conroe/Allendale setup. I do not have the time to mess around looking for a solution. If it will not install out of the box, I'm sticking with Windows XP (despite it's problems).

itshondo, I'll give PC Linux a shot. :)

Xtreme Barton said:
Quoted For Truth.

I've just spawned an idea guys. How about we as a community set up an internal linux help place, just for ourselves. Without any superiority complexes and MS bashings or anything, just friendly help? Trying to get linux going is hard when the support IRC takes every oportunity to make you fail...

Also, UnseenMenace, I really wasn't trying to start anything up, that wasn't my way at picking a fight. That's the way I speak and write, sorry if it offended. "Get over it" was my tounge in cheek way of saying "so I messed up, please forget about it" Or something along those lines.

I'm the typical Windows power user, and I've attempted to use linux several times; most were part of school and training though, but on one occasion, I've installed Ubuntu on one of my laptops.

At first, Ubuntu came close to giving me headaches. I was having issues getting it to enable the wireless NIC. After two nights of googling and trying to remember commands in the command line, I was finally able to find a solution. The solution involved going into root, which I had more issues doing so. I believe I had to boot up in the command line safe mode thingy and set a root password, and then log in as root to be able to type the command that enables the wireless NIC.

As I said, I'm a typical power user, and I've had some formal training on other linux distros (Red Hat, Fedora, and Suse), and it took me that much effort to get my wireless internet working. Based on this, I doubt your average end user would be too comfortable with Ubuntu, and perhaps other distro's as well.

Obviously, because of my experience, I don't really like the getting rid of root thing in Ubuntu. sudo never worked for me for some reason. The concept seems nice, but "the **** just don't work for me!" Another thing I didn't really like too much is the apt-get system. Half the apps I've tryed failed to function at all, and the other half did absolutly nothing I needed them to do because they lacked a good description of what they do. With my little experience with Fedora/Red Hat .rpm's, I would have to say that I like them better than apt-get. I want quality applications, not ****loads of nearly useless, compiled-in-parents-basement applications.

I'm saying linux is not ready for "prime time" because if it gives me such a hard time, I certian it will give my grandmother a heart attack and drive my mother nuts if they were to try to use it. Naturally, I will be trying different distro's of linux in the near future; it can only get better and I can only improve my skill in using it. I believe linux will, for quite some time, remain an OS of power users and enthusiast.

Bad Maniac said:
Also, UnseenMenace, I really wasn't trying to start anything up, that wasn't my way at picking a fight. That's the way I speak and write, sorry if it offended. "Get over it" was my tounge in cheek way of saying "so I messed up, please forget about it" Or something along those lines.

I have a teenage daughter so im not easy to offend :D , we all have our ways thay do not transfer well in text, I myself have been misunderstood on many occasions when this was not what I intended... no harm done, I hope :D

I am going to give examples of why Linux is not ready for prime time. It should be obvious why it is not, not just Linux by itself.

If Adobe Photoshop runs on Mac, Why not Linux? Sure GiMp will work, but it needs more robust features for it. It does do what it can very well. For the average paint user, it blows it out of the water. :D

Easy card support. Why is ATi such a jerk.. installing a ATi card is true maze and a game unto itself. Some parts just lack a base of good manufacture support.

Myself I do not game on my machine anymore. I have a platform dedicated to gaming. I do have many many duckets invested so this machine could game if I wanted to. So saying game support for Linux is have to have is not entirely the base of why it is not ready for prime time. Since there is plenty of options other then gaming.

If commercial hardware/software makers actually gave a h00t about making it simpler on Linux, then it would garner even more of a user base.

Linux is more then ready, is the hardware to run it ready?

Enablingwolf said:
If commercial hardware/software makers actually gave a h00t about making it simpler on Linux, then it would garner even more of a user base.

Linux is more then ready, is the hardware to run it ready?

Very interesting perspective and quite possibly the questions we should be asking :D

I've just spawned an idea guys. How about we as a community set up an internal linux help place, just for ourselves.

We have that already, the "Alternative Operating" section of the forums. You'll find some of the most experienced members here willing to do what they can to help other members.

Easy card support. Why is ATi such a jerk.. installing a ATi card is true maze and a game unto itself.

For a while. Texstar (the developer) had a ATI driver release of PCLinuxOS, ver .92 ATI 8500 up. Now the Big Daddy release has the generic video drivers, and upgrading to the latest ATI or Nvidia drivers is ann extremely easy task using Synaptic. All you have to do is start Synaptic, reload the database (one click), and search for ATI- then select the version of the driver you want to install, select apply and then Synaptic will download the driver from a dedicated server and install. Then log out and log back in- your driver is installed. I'm currently running the latest Nvidia driver for my Ti4600.

I do agree that the Gimp is lacking Photoshop, though I beleive that Photoshop will run through Wine. I have not tried this, as I am a Ulead PhotoImpact user and am trying to spearhead it's use with Wine, without much success yet.

I do use digiKam for digital photos, but do miss the features of PhotoImpact.

While some manufactures are friendly towards Linux drivers. Hunting down solutions is the key. You have to hunt. Then jump through hoops.

If there was easier ATi support for most of the distros, it would not be much of an issue. I don't mean one click wonders. Finding that information is a drag, when all you want is it to run. The Linux community is more then willing to help when they can. Finding the correct infromation can be .. lets say not as easy. Though ATi is known for making it harder then the other guy who makes cards.

Then there is other hardware that is not as easy to setup. You have to understand certain things or read complex setups. WiFi which is common, can be a chore. Linux is robust enough to handle even undetected hardware if effort is placed in that direction. Something Windows does lack.. Though it has a support base that does exceed Linux from hardware makers. So it evens out.

There is many other hardware and software examples that could be given, but I want to be on the generalized side. With all the work-arounds that Linux offers, it is more then ready for prime time. The hardware/software makers need to get with it and make sure it is not a major chore to use thier products under any modern OS.

Wanted to ad a few points regarding my previous posts, now that I've thought through them and read some of the new posts.

The USB Wireless Adapter example is still valid if you ask me. Yes it's not a linux issue, its a driver issue. But if linux was ready for prime time, shouldn't you expect Belkin, one of the largest suppliers of wireless hardware, to have driver support for it?

Same with software developers, they need to start developing more multiplatform software suitable for linux.

Linux is ready if it weren't for those things.
Ubuntu is easier to install than Windows. And Gnome is more intuitive to use than XP and OSx put together (my opinion). It's drivers and software that needs to get ready.

I agree with you on the USB Wireless issue- I use a Hawking Directional USB Antenna, and it works great within Windows with the WIndows drivers. They don't have linux drivers available, though I'd like to see them created for linux.

Last edited:
Back