• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is My 2600k Dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Yesterday me and my friend where trying to install my H80 cooler into my case and at the time as I was putting the fans onto the radiator I didnt realise my friend had taken the CPU/FAN off the motherboard. When I finally caught him he was in the process of applying some new thermal paste to the CPU so I just left him to it he's done them plenty of time and has years of exp.

So we put it all back together and started the system up but alas I now have a serious issue the fans spin up and then the system shuts down, so I thought maybe a loose cable nope fine everything's connected. After 30mins of wondering the only solution was to pull everything out and have a look and low and behold one of the socket pins was bent and the idiot got thermal paste under the CPU as he placed it into the socket.

The place it was has a small tiny blackish colour in it am I safe to say that a month old motheboard and CPU are dead and I've just lost £300 in a matter of seconds. I hope I can RMA the board but I have a feeling the CPU is a gonna and if so thats me £210 out of pocket and I never even got to use the dam thing either.

You can RMA the CPU if you want... Clean everything well, and you should be OK for a replacement one.

EDIT: for the board, it's a different story: bent pins are not covered by warranty. But you can try to "unbend" it with a magnifier glass and a needle.

EDIT 2: before starting any RMA process, clean everything with alcohol (CPU, socket). That might work.

Bent pins you can try to bend back.

Not sure I would return a CPU that I killed... but thats just me.

Well how do I know its dead I am just making assumptions it is, I just used to paste cleaner and it had cleaned all the burnt mark away well it must be excess paste and it now looks spotless. As for the bent pins I don't think I could do it haven't got steady hands for a job like that I could buy a new board but I'd still be out of pocket and would it be wise to risk the CPU in the new board??

Well, you need to fix those pins. Contact Giga and see if you can pay for a socket replacement (a lot cheaper than a new build). But before you test your CPU, those pins need fixed.

Yeah I've already got in touch with them via there tech support address I didnt think you could swap a socket out like that, I will try maybe and give them a fix and see if I can do it

I'll get a small magnifing glass and only think I have is a tiny flat screw driver

And the lesson from all this? Friends don't let other friends play with their sockets with thermal paste. :D Wait, was that dirty? :)

its pretty much the lesson tho azuza .. do your own work and then you don't have to point fingers at your friend and blame him for breaking your stuff lol.

glad you got it working I've bent pins back for co-workers "computer shop" in the past its a delicate matter go to far and they can break off esp the new style.

yea no one touches my system but me, not that i dont trust some friends i just prefer to not to have anyone to blame for something should it go wrong.
they want to play with a pc they can do it to there own=)~

I can't figure out why he'd remove the CPU to put TIM on it. I always put TIM on after the CPU is seated in it's socket. :shrug:

I leave the socket protector in until I'm ready to put the CPU in.

I can't figure out why he'd remove the CPU to put TIM on it. I always put TIM on after the CPU is seated in it's socket. :shrug:

I leave the socket protector in until I'm ready to put the CPU in.

lol i was thinking the same thing.:confused:

Back