• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my amd a rip off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pcmanjon

Registered
Okay, this needs a story...

A couple of years ago (3-4) I built an Intel Pentium 4 -- 1.3ghz
Now, 3-4 years pass, I want to build a system and we decide to go with AMD.

I got an AMD 2600+ Thourghbred -- I haven't found out the mhz/ghz until now.

It's 1.1ghz!!!!!!

It's slower then a CPU made 3 years ago!!! What the hell?

Was I ripped off? Why is it so slow when it wasn't cheap (we paid about 150 or more for it)

Usually old things are cheaper, why is this so slow??

Thanks!

Should be posted in the AMD forum, but the reason it's so slow is that you've got it set up wrong. I'm guessing that you've got a 133MHz FSB chip, which would mean that you've got your motherboard set to a ~66MHz FSB. The likely cause is that you BIOS is calling a 66MHz FSB a 133MHz FSB because the marketers of chips and motherboards like to double or quadruple the numbers :) Setting the FSB to "266MHz" should fix the problem.

One thing...post your motherboard...this will help...and like emboss stated...its either a jumper or you will need to reset the CMOS jumper...the XP2600 is 2.08 Ghz (12.5x166), unless you got a barton XP2600...those are 1.9Ghz (11.5x166)...

Its just your settings that are off as stated above, but I'm willing to bet that even at 1.1Ghz, the amd is still faster than the P4 you had :p

I would bet it's actually 1150mhz. The 2600+/166mhz FSB chip has an 11.5x multiplier, so when you run it at spec'ed 166mhz, the chip runs at 1.9ghz. However, as you've discovered, running the chip at 100mhz FSB results in 1150mhz.

Okay, It's 1.15ghz

and, I'm using a Soyo Dragon Ultra kt333 motherboard

i did what i needed to do to get the FSB to 255mhz (and that was the max it'd do)

and rebooted and it wouldn't POST, I had to short the cmos clear jumper to reset the cmos

Strangely enough after the BIOS was reset, it was at the speed 1.15ghz again. So, the tips of resetting the cmos didn't do the trick.

Any further help would be appriciated, I'm glad you guys are helping me... this is a great community here.

Thanks

does that mobo have a physical jumper that you need to adjust in order to properly change the fsb settings? Not the cmos jumper, but a fsb jumper...

You can't just set the FSB to 255. That won't post at all. Set the FSB to 166. Hopefully your RAM can handle that speed.

OK I just used a program called sandra and looked at my ram info

maximum FSB/Memory speed for chipset 1 is 166mhz

I'll try setting it to that next time i reboot... i'll post back here my findings

My memory is Kingston 662C585C 512MB 16x(32Mx8) DDR-SDRAM PC2700U-2533-700 (CL2.5 up to 167MHz) (CL2 up to 133MHz)

damn, set the FSB to 166mhz, not to the full 255! thats like overclocking a P4 x.xC by 55mhz!

NEWB ALERT!

Your motherboard is not meant for 166 Mhz FSB I think. I thought that the kt333 could use ram at 166, but didn't have a pci divider past 133Mhz.

*EDIT*
we paid about 150 or more for it

Yes, to answer your first question, you were ripped off.

yes, set the fsb to 166 which is equivalent to a (x2) 333 mhz fsb which is the max speed your board supports and is the default speed of your chip.

Here is a list of supported chips for the Soyo Boards.

And besides setting the the FSB to 133 you need to change the multiplier in the BIOS. I have used these boards before and the settings will not auto detect. They have to be manually set in the BOIS (no jumpers). You are probley getting a 100FSB with an 11.5 Multi for your 1.15ghz, so someone help me out the FSB will need to be 133 and the multi is 15? to get the 1.9ghz.

If all else fails Download a copy of the instructions for your board here....

oh my God, he was trying to set FSB @ 255, LOL!!!

I know SOYO's are the worst crap out there, but even they will allow you to set FSB in you BIOS @ 100, 133, 166 (remember AMD is "double pumped" so that means 200, 266, 333mhz)

maybe the ultra has 333(166x2) FSB support, however i had teh kt333 black and i know it only did 266x2. That is max without overclocking the PCI and AGP. Remember, if you don't get close to a divider your stuff will overclock.
100FSB locks your agp and pci, same as 133, if you don't download a bios upgrade you probably try 166 and you will not lock anything and not hit it, and if you do you might cause damage to your video card, hardrives etc...your board supports 333(166x2) memory, however that isn't the same as CPU FSB. You will need to run your actual fsb at 166 to get the full speed of your chip, however if you cant it still is a descent chip.

BTW no way in hell does the kt333 go up to fsb of 255, even the nf7-s 2.0's didn't go past 250 w/o bios upgrade if i remember correctly.

Back