• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my H220 pump dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anhikilator

Hey team,

Processor suddenly marked 100* Celsius in core temp, tried real temp, same thing, went to the bios, 100 again. Does that mean that the pump is dead?

What tests should I try before re-installing the included cooler?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ank.

If you know how to jump the PSU (green wire to any black wire), make sure the only thing attached is the H220's pump and turn the PSU on. If you don't hear it kick on, it's dead.

Anytime :) The only other thing I can think of is to take off the side panel and see if you can hear the pump or feel any vibrations from the motor.

You shouldn't have to tear your system apart completely. If I'm not mistaken your power supply is modular, right? You can unplug the 24-pin cable from the motherboard and pull out the other modular connectors from the PSU. Jump the 24-pin cable, connect a 4-pin Molex cable to the PSU and attach the pump to that.

It's not necessary, but it avoids two things: Noise from other components interfering with being able to tell if the pump's working, and possibly causing thermal damage to your CPU. The second one's probably me being paranoid, but better safe than sorry IMO.

Sorry to hear about your problem, but how old is this pump and is it still in warranty!!

AJ.

While I know that hindsight is 20/20, this is why I'm not a fan of all-in-one coolers. My heatsink isn't 100% worthless if one of the two fans goes out.

Well, the downside is that I gotta replace the unit but props for Swiftech support people. This guy Bryan asked me to try another mobo connector, and after no luck, he asked me to send him some pics to check the fins and the paint of the radiator. That's it! They are shipping me a replacement unit with a return slip so I can ship them back my faulty unit after the replacement is received.

Its lucky in a way that is a Swiftech unit, because they happen to have the best customer support team. And like you said they have already sent you a replacement, good old Swiftech!! Anyone else well you could be waiting along time!!

AJ.

Unfortunately, the H220 is know to have problems, i know people who have done multiple rma's for this unit. Good luck.

Well, processor won't blow up, if you have a temp monitor running like coretemp, you'll detect the malfunction right away. I OC'd my proc to 4.5 and it's been running cool for almost 10 months, I agree, the failure rate of AC is almost none but you get better performance with a working AIO unit.

Mine died too about a fortnight ago, same thing temps spiked and the CPU was throttling hard!
The H220 wasn't reading any RPM from the pump. Mine was covered under warranty form PC Case Gear here in Oz no dramas which was good....

Just deciding now if I want to go down a full custom route or again with an AIO. At the moment I'm running the stock Haswell cooler (with no OC) and it seems to hold up OK actually!

Yeah, I did the same, stock cooler, but I my case has a huge window, that stock cooler looks lameeeeeeeeee. I disabled all OC settings as well.

The power connector on that is only 2-pin for the pump? I figured it'd be 3-pin with rpm signal.

Thats a bummer OP.

I have to say I've been seeing a pattern here with the H220. I know in the beginning the pumps went dead because of debris in the loop as customers took it apart with the ok from Swiftech and found debris in their pumps and liquid. Now I am hearing stories of their pumps dying within a year.

I think it's possible this might be a design flaw. The H220 has a stronger pump (more watts) than most AIO's and causes more heat. Not to mention the heat coming from the base. I think the heat is degrading the pump at a faster rate. Just speculation on my part.

I'm on my 3rd H220 and I haven't even installed it yet. I have the stock HSF on but the 4770k isn't overclocked. Yes Swiftech has great customer support but this crap has gotten annoying. There is obviously some kind of design flaw with the pump for it to die on me twice.

IMO I think there is some sort of cavitation issues going on with the pump at high speeds. I'd like to know what the design is to see how it may be dying.

Just as a add on maybe you could hook up the H220 to a different pump!!! And use that instead just a idea.

AJ.

Back