• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my hardware caput? If so what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atomic_Sheep

Hi, I started getting BSODs this last week and I don't know what is causing them.

From day 1, my computer has been a bit of a faff, initially had problems with this, that the other, but when I finally got everything sorted, it was solid enough for a while. I didn't get BSODs basically ever. It was overclocked for about 6 months with maybe 1 BSOD.

Then I decided to reinstall the whole computer and decided to update my BIOS as well. That went horribly wrong and I had to RMA the motherboard. With the updated BIOS, I was all of a sudden totally unable to overclock the computer even 1 notch in any direction. As soon as I would do that, it would basically restart until it would reset factory settings. So I tried downgrading then upgrading the BIOS until eventually it stopped even opening the post screen i.e. press the power button and all that would happen was the case fans would spin and some lights would light up on the motherboard but other than that, everything else would remain off.

Anyway, after sending it away to RMA and getting it back, I decided that I would just install the OS and not touch it again. That's what I did... no more overclocking, just using the stock comp. I had it running fine a while, same level of stability as before, no crashes, no BSODs, so pretty solid one would say. However, I one day decided to play some SC2 and crash which I've never experienced before occured.

As I described in a different thread, initially, the sound froze, then the mouse froze and then the screen went all blurry and then I got a BSOD.

After that, I reset the computer and got into SC2 to see whether the same thing would happen again because it felt like a really out of the ordinary BSOD and this time it just immediately BSOD on me and after that I decided to go into my other Partition of windows (I have 4 HDDs and had 2 RAID 0 configs)... anyway I decided to just backup files that I needed on my main installation of windows on the other Parition and lo and behold, a BSOD. I thought, this can't be coincidence. After backing up, I reinstalled the system and I'm STILL getting BSODs.

I never got them before like this as I explained. All of a sudden they have become quite frequent. I've reinstalled the computer a few times so it's certainly not viruses unless its possible for some virus to change "programs" or code on chips of my hardware (not sure if that's possible) but anyway... here's an error report that I got from the last BSOD that I just got:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1a
BCP1: 0000000000041790
BCP2: FFFFFA8007116870
BCP3: 000000000000FFFF
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\062311-35303-01.dmp
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-46722-0.sysdata.xml

I have no idea what might be causing it. Is it my hard drives that are dying? I heard that overclocking a computer can fry components on hard drives? Is it my memory? I'm about to do a mem test and I suspect that the results will be such that the memory is fine, is it my CPU? After getting my computer back from RMA, I reinstalled my CPU but I didn't put on my Megahalems on as well as I think it can go on so my temps were a bit higher than they were before but they are still around or less than what the temps were with the stock cooler and since I was no longer planning to overclock, I decided to not bother with trying to attach it better again + I was running out of the thermal paste and didn't know if I would have enough for another application.

Anyway, maybe it's my video card? I don't know how it could be causing BSODs when it's not being stressed at all and I don't even know if a video card can cause BSODs. Or is it my motherboard? After I got my motherbaord back, as I said, I was no longer able to overclock at all and something obviously got changed when it was in RMA... maybe they just simply somehow blocked off overclocking or maybe the RMA guys damaged something, I don't know but it felt different when I got it back.

What could it be?

EDIT: I just tried running a memtest from windows and it said... "an error is preventing memtest to run". Since I have Linux installed also, I just assumed that maybe the Grub boot loader is what is tripping it up so I restareted and selected memtest86+ from the Grub loader and it popped up with an error: Too small lower memory (0x99100 > 0x95800), press any key to continue. So I then selected memtest 86+, Serial console 115200 (whatever that was) and it popped up with the same error. Reading other posts in this regard, sounds like this is just a bug and a walkaround is to just start memtest from a memory stick so will try that soon but would like other ideas in the mean time.

Thanks!

Last edited:
"1a" translates to "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", that's an unstable CPU. (You can get this BSOD if IBT fails.)
This may be caused by the PSU.
What kind of power supply do you have?

If overclocking, you need to increase the Vcore a little and try again.

Can you list your components, please.
Did you run memtest one stick at a time in the proper slots according to the manual?
Maybe take the mb out of the case with nothing hooked up and run memtest.
Can you monitor your 12 and 5 volt rails from your psu while booting up with a dmm(digitalmultimeter)?

Back