• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my North bridge getting too hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thomasj

I just installed a JetWay JHA04-LF motherboard in my wifes computer and everytime she plays a game for more than a few minutes the PC just shuts down without warning. I found that the shutdown temp was 60C so i bumped it up to 70 and it stopped the shutdowns but its still getting up very close to 70C. Is 70C anything to worry about? My chipset on my M4A79T Deluxe does not get nearly that hot. I dont want to damage anything.

whole set up is

JetWay JHA04-LF AM2
AMD Athlon II X2 240 2.8 (OCed to 3400mhz) 50c max under gaming, 38-39c idle
Kington Hyper X DDR2 1066
HD4850
OCZ 520W PSU
AeroCool Vx-R case

case airflow?????

CPU cooler????

volts at the clocked frequency?????

maybe a better CPU cooler will help, usually does...

you need to get the heat out better....i am a bit confused, your sig states 50*c max under load, is this a wish or?????

70*c is getting to the point where weird stuff can start happening, i would be worried a bit myself...

laterzzzz..........

I'd be very worried as well - 70°C is waaay too hot for anything inside an AMD case! :eek:

Sounds to me like you've got a serious case airflow problem. Do you have a dual-slot video card? At a guess I'd say you don't and your video card is dumping it's heat back into the case.

Your CPU cooler may also be contributing to the problem or it could be just bad air flow, no way to tell without more information. Try removing the side panel and using a room fan to blow air into the case ...

It has two 120mm fans, one in bottom front, one in top rear. Its a bottom mount power supply. I did notice that I had the front fan blowing out instead of in. I flipped it so it was blowing in and it holds about 55c on the northbrige now. Still a little warm but much better. Card is a Powercolor 4850, it stays about 45c and does NOT have dual slot cooling. I tried a fan into the side of the case it held the northbrige temp about 48-49. I may mount a fan in the side of the case as well blowing on the northbridge heatsink and that should take care of it.

It has two 120mm fans, one in bottom front, one in top rear. Its a bottom mount power supply. I did notice that I had the front fan blowing out instead of in. I flipped it so it was blowing in and it holds about 55c on the northbrige now. Still a little warm but much better. Card is a Powercolor 4850, it stays about 45c and does NOT have dual slot cooling. I tried a fan into the side of the case it held the northbrige temp about 48-49. I may mount a fan in the side of the case as well blowing on the northbridge heatsink and that should take care of it.

Lol, 3 exhausts and 0 intakes... that could cause a few cooling problems there. I've done that exact same thing lol

Hi Thomasj.
What are you using to measure your northbridge temps and how do you know the reading is your northbridge and you're not confusing it with the CPU temp?

Just curious, because I use Speedfan and it's hard to tell what Temp1 Temp2 and Temp3 are reading on the motherboard.

Back