• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my OCed 2500+ (200x11) running too hot for an SLK-900a?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yamiyanazz

I didn't think I'd have to ask a question like this, but I now have myself wondering a few things.

Okay, Here is the deal. I've done some work on my computer and I was wondering if any of it did any good. I know it works, because I'm on it now. Nothing has fried and it doesn't freeze. Here is the thing..I think it's hotter than it should be. What do you guys think? Here is what I'm currently using:

SLK-900a lapped with 2000 grit wet/dry paper
2500+ stepping AQZEA running at 200x11 (with a MBM recorded vcore of 1.72)
92mm Delta fan (the one big one from sidewinder computers)
Arctic Silver 5 that has been set for weeks
Asus A7N8X Rev.2

Now that I've listed the important comporents, here are teh temperatures I'm recieving. All of them are as reported by MBM since I do not have a good thermal probe. The only one that is calibrated is my room temperature. I use a Radio Shack digital thermometer for that. All temperatures are celsius and idle.

31c Motherboard
41c CPU
48c CPU Diode
29c Room Temperature

My airflow in the case is plently good and my wires are properly managed. I'm thinking my main problem is that my voltage is set rather high. In the bios settings, it is set to 1.65 (which used to run at 1.63 untill a day or so after installing my new motherboard [had A7V8X-X before...if that's important. Both read 1.63 for a while]). What do you guys think?

Turn on the A/C...Ambient room temp, 29°C = 84°F - 85°F
system running 2°C over room temp, 31°C
C/W 17°C @ idle...Diode

Load it up and give us your temps..:)

A/C? HAH! I wish I had some of that stuff in my room. All I have is a heater...I don't use it sicne I have my computer.

As for temps...I'll get right back to you on that one... Do you want it with fans on low and high?

Well, I took both readings. I prime tested on "Blend Stress"

First test run with fans on low (temps after 15 minutes):

33c Motherboard
47c CPU
54c CPU Diode

Second test run directly after with fans on high(temps after 15 minutes):

30c Motherboard
39/40c CPU
45c CPU Diode

I'd also like to to know that I got no errors with either test. Test ran for 32 mintues with no errors or warnings!

I'd also like to add that I stopped priming and after about 10 minutes, with my fans still on high I get the following readings:

30c Motherboard
37c CPU
44c CPU Diode

The earlier idle readings were with my fans on low (save the ears)

Thermalright SLK900: Has a C/W of, 0.22

Your low fan setting produced a C/W of 0.21 cpu diode

Your high speed fan setting produced a C/W of 0.15 cpu diode

Try running the fans at medium speed to compromise..:) With your ambient room temp that high you might want to do a mobo wall hole mod/ with a 92mm fan. But those temps look good to me..;)

Would you mind if I asked what "C/W" stands for and the formula you used to derive those numbers?

So you are saying that the tempersatures are good....alright.

*gives that face and thumbs up that vash makes in trigun*
VashThumb.jpg

To calculate what to expect for other CPUs, for every watt the CPU radiates, the heatsink will cool the core by the (C/W x watts) plus ambient temp. For example, at a fan inlet temp of 25 C, a C/W of 0.25 with a CPU radiating 50 watts means that the CPU temp will be 50 x 0.25 = 12.5 C over ambient temp, or 37.5 C.

Basicly just subtract the system(case/mobo) temp from the cpu temp..to get the C/W..;)

SOURCE LINK

archilochus said:
Basicly just subtract the system(case/mobo) temp from the cpu temp..to get the C/W..;)

Right, but after I do that, I still wind up with a number that is ~15°c. I don't think that would be my CW rating, would it?

I believe if I am reading this correctly, I would have to divide the difference in temperatures by my CPU wattage, right? Well, I've used the program called "CPU Power 0.21" and it has given me a wattage number that it finds should be my Processor wattage. It came up with the number of 88 watts for my processor.

So I take my 15°c difference and devide it by 88.. 15/88 =~ 0.17

It doens't match your 0.15, but it would if my processor was running 100 watts, correct? I think I'm begining to understand this stuff. (I love math for this reason!)

If my math has an error in it, please let me know. I'm still learning too.

Last edited:
My 2°C error is prob. because I used your system temp instead of your ambient..2°C diff. I believe..:)
I'm a rule of thumb guy..Close enough for goverment work..;)

Back