• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is My Wishlist Missing Anything?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyerker

Here is the watercooling wishlist I have put together:

watercooling.JPG

Do I have everything necessary? I am thinking of externally mounting the pump/reservoirs, the 1x120 is for the CPU, and the 2x120 is for the 780 Lightning I would be buying. Thinking of spending the extra money to spring for the quick-disconnect fittings, so I can more readily work on individual components without completely disassembling everything.

Additionally, the 200mm fan is for top exhaust on my case.

So, am I missing any fittings, clamps, etc, in this wish list?

I wish I had purchased one of those silver g1/4 fittings for my radiator so I could run straight distilled water. Are you running silver or putting an additive in? I don't see either on your list.

Hadn't really put much thought into the liquid, yet, to be perfectly honest. Probably a colorful additive, that performs well. Maybe one color for the CPU and one for the GPU. Guess I also need TIM. I wasn't really thinking of any silver. Would a proper additive prevent growth as well as a kill coil? I suppose I could get a coil for each pump / reservoir combo, right?

Last edited:
These quick disconnects (from what I can tell) appear to already be threaded to install directly to the components.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=39877

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=39876

So do these connect directly to the components' threads, or is some adapter necessary?

I don't doubt that they will as they have g1/4 threads, but are you sure there is room to put those side by side on your blocks?

That, I am not certain of. Didn't think it was a consideration, honestly. Maybe get a couple of swivel connectors too.

That, I am not certain of. Didn't think it was a consideration, honestly. Maybe get a couple of swivel connectors too.

It's your build but if I was going that route maybe compression fittings on the blocks and quick disconnects to remove say the internal loop, pump and reservoir then the radiator. That, to me, would look cleaner and still allow you to take all your components out leak free. Remember when you disconnect tbose several drops of fluid will still escape.

That makes sense, Clovett. So the connections to the GPU block and CPU block would be standard compression fittings, and then all other connections would be quick-disconnects?

The biggest one to have quick disconnects would be the Reservoir / Pump combos, as I am intending to mount those externally to the side panels of the case. The rest, I suppose, could be more permanent connections, if necessary.

That makes sense, Clovett. So the connections to the GPU block and CPU block would be standard compression fittings, and then all other connections would be quick-disconnects?

The biggest one to have quick disconnects would be the Reservoir / Pump combos, as I am intending to mount those externally to the side panels of the case. The rest, I suppose, could be more permanent connections, if necessary.

I am not saying not to do it, just make sure you have the room for them between components. For example that would work fine on the main fittings of my CPU block but they would not fit on my particular GPU block. Plus consider you need a small amount of room to actually perform the quick disconnect. Lastly go over where you want to place these and see if you need any 90 degree bends. I think they can be ordered that way.

It is ultimately your build and you should be happy with it when finished!

Are all for the existing components in your signature being placed in that micro case? I would honestly look for a different case if you're going to spend that much on QDCs. I see no barbs/compression fittings or liquids. Please explain why you need so many quick disconnects? QDCs aren't really needed unless you will be benchmarking and changing components most of the time. They also add restrictions to the loop and being a micro case, most do a single loop instead of 2 loops since the space is so limited especially when adding so many QDC, pumps, reserviors etc. I read a review of someone asking a question if it can handle a full size GPU and this was answered, "Unless you have a radiator, you can fit a card up to the length of 334mm". So it looks like you won't have room to put a radiator in there since you're using a 780. Do some measurements before purchasing anything.

From the looks of the radiators you're going for a loud build. When you get a chance, please take a read at our water cooling section. It covers everything and your questions on liquids for a better understanding.

Hope to hear from you soon.

As one wise old man said to me once "Slow down, its just a hobby." - Con :rofl:

Ya, I hadn't really considered the thickness of a push-pull radiator in the front, but it most likely wouldn't fit with a full-length card like a 290 or 780. I was hoping to avoid a different case if going water cooling, and hoping to go all-internal, or close to it, but it seems like that may not be an options. This case, in general, appears to be better suited for air cooling, anyway.

Maybe I'll just look at a better CPU-only loop first off, since the FX-8320 is more heat limited than the GPU, and my GPU overclocking doesn't really warrant watercooling at this point. The Phobya UC-1 is one of the best CPU coolers, right?

Here's a great site that has done all the work for us. You will find most top of the line water cooling components tested, benched etc.

To cut it short, one of the best bargin CPU blocks is the XSPC Raystorm. Other top contenders are from Koolance, Swiftech, Heatkiller and Aqua to name a few. Never heard or seen that waterblock you posted.

If you go air, the Coolmaster Hyper 212 is a top of the line air cooler for the CPU.

If you really want to stick with custom watercooling, I would honestly look for another case based on what is needed to cool your existing setup and possibly anything added in the future to the loop.

I'd ditch all the QDC's (300$ for fittings is absurd) and spend the money on a larger case that can accommodate more radiator. I fell like the setup now would pretty much be at it's limit with only a total of 360mm of radiator (can anyone confirm this?). You'd have far better numbers with 2 240mm rads or better yet, a 240 and 360.

A Primo case would fit the bill
Drop the qdc and that would buy the case
And the rad space is plenty

^:thup:

Or if that case is too big for you go for the Corsair Air 540 case. Its wider than most cases but in a cube size.

I'd ditch all the QDC's (300$ for fittings is absurd) and spend the money on a larger case that can accommodate more radiator. I fell like the setup now would pretty much be at it's limit with only a total of 360mm of radiator (can anyone confirm this?). You'd have far better numbers with 2 240mm rads or better yet, a 240 and 360.
QFT...

$300 for WDC's? Yikes.

You are under radded IMO. I would go with 4x120 worth of radiator personally. 3x120 just seems not worth it. Temps will be better than air, but not as good as they could be.

I would solve the case issue (size) before I tried to stuff all this in your current case.

EDIT: Damnit.. didn't read to the end again... :p

QFT...

$300 for WDC's? Yikes.

You are under radded IMO. I would go with 4x120 worth of radiator personally. 3x120 just seems not worth it. Temps will be better than air, but not as good as they could be.

I would solve the case issue (size) before I tried to stuff all this in your current case.

EDIT: Damnit.. didn't read to the end again... :p

AHA! You have been felled by my follow-up post good sir!

Back