• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is P4A worth my effort OCing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KK_Disco

Registered
i have an old CPU which is running on my mom's computer right now. i used to use that one and now im into OCing, im thinking OC that old friend. is it worth the trouble and money to get a new MB and OC this one? i mean, its running fine right now. just for the heck of it. is it worth my effort to do it?

You have a Max3 pop the old CPU in there and see what you get.
If it's good, then get a new motherboard for that CPU.

the thing is that the old CPU is at home and im at school. i mean, i cant just take it out caz mom using it. i think i will talk to my mom about that then.

Well you can swap it. I think your 3.0C will work on that motherboard as well.
And when you are done just swap it back. Swapping CPU does not require reinstallation.

well...the old mobo doesnt support up to 800. is there a good OC cheap board for P4A? i mean, it doesnt need to be top of the line board you know.

KK_Disco said:
well...the old mobo doesnt support up to 800. is there a good OC cheap board for P4A? i mean, it doesnt need to be top of the line board you know.

Don't worry it will still run, just not at it's full speed. And since you will only do it temp, it doesn't matter.

My sig:

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe P4 3.0 @3.85 1.55 vcore
Hynix PC4200 2x512MB 2.75 vdimm
ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
WD 120GB SATA

If it's truly a P-4A, then it'll be a socket 478 Northwood. If the old mobo does not have O/C features and if Mom uses the computer, then I see no reason to spend extra cash on it just to overclock a little.

If you want to check that thing out, find an IT7, I have gotten a few P4A CPUs up to a 166 FSB, on my IT7s.

steve

well...i used CPU-Z to check it and its a northwood. well...i do use that computer when i go home...i was just thinking about it. do you guys know how far you can push it?

P4-A's should run fine at 533Mhz QDR (133Mhz) but, as always, the stepping can make a difference. If you can, find out if it is a B0 or a C1, the C1's are a little better. I think the C1's run at 1.55v core and the B0's run at 1.5v core. Most -A chips are B0 though..

What clockspeed is it btw?

Don't forget to cool it ;)

Back