• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a way to force software to display System folders?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Some software developers, in their wisdom, turn off display of folders with System Attributes.

Do you think this is hard-coded or would there be a registry entry controlling this so that if you change it, then *all* folders would be displayed?

Details: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/18330.page#94377

EDIT: This problem can be resolved if instead of "System Attribute", the folder is assigned a "Read-only" attribute.

Last edited:
that is probably thier own requester.
it is likley to be in the code in the program itslef, and not in the registry or ini config file thing for the program.

mabey your going about the ICON the wrong way?
i have custom icons on like 60 folders, and i dont have to have system attributes?
was this done to be able to automate the adding and changing of these icons?

It was done so that custom folder icons would show up on every computer they are accessed from.

In other words, say you have an external drive. The folder view would have to be set on each and every individual computer accessing it - if custom icons were not done using system attributes, correct? (I think that's the case.)

otherwise it is just stored in the registry only on the one computer?
i cant believe that i dont really know where it stores that?

does thier media type program pick up on any other thumbs ? or show folder thumbs?
because then mabey a simple jpeg in the folder ?

the length that some programs go through to show "album art" for a simple MP3, it just seems like a given.

Last edited:
No, they set it to ignore folders with system attributes as if they don't exists regardless of what is in them.

I just got it so that this will at least be considered for the next version of PowerDVD.

Ever since the dawn of the computer age, I never understood why 'brilliant' ideas developers come with for new versions of their programs rarely include options (just options) to switch these 'improvements' off, just in case they remove the ability for users to use the basic functions of these programs, as this one did. :shrug:

This problem can be resolved if instead of "System Attribute", the folder is assigned a "Read-only" attribute.

It then shows the custom picture of the folder on every computer displaying the folder.

I think I know what your aiming at, but that's pretty easy to accomplish.

1. Open Windows Explorer (doesnt matter which directory).
2. Go to Organize -> Folder and Search options.
3. Click "View" tab.
4. Then under "Advanced Settings", you mark "Show hidden files, folders and drives".
5. Then finally you click above on "Apply to Folders".

With this every program you open should be able to open system files and folders.
Also if you want to open certain files inside the "Windows" directory you need to open that program as Administrator, i.e. you want to open the hosts file you need to run notepad as administrator before your able to open the hosts file inside notpad.

PowerDVD has internal code that prevents it from displaying any folder with a system attribute. Their developers acknowledged this, and decided to, for their own reasons, keep preventing PowerDVD from displaying any folder with a system attribute *regardless* of those Windows settings.

Of course, I was initially wrong about thinking that folders need to have a system attribute to display a custom folder picture on any computer.

This was incorrect, instead of system attribute, they can have a read-only attribute and then every custom folder on an external drive will display a custom folder picture when connected to *any* computer regardless of that computer's settings. PowereDVD still cannot display system folders but I no longer care because this is now the correct way to display custom folder pictures:

• This is how custom folder images are set:

1. Create new folder, and name it (for example) Smile.

2. Place Smile.ico inside it and use Notepad to create Desktop.ini file inside it with the following content:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=Smile.ico
IconIndex=0

3. First set folder as a Read-only folder then
set Desktop.ini and Smile.ico as both system and hidden files.

You can set these attributes manually or use this http://www.petges.lu/download/ Attribute Changer to do it easily with a right click.

You may need to close folder / refresh / rebuild icons to see changes.

Last edited:
Back