• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is there any such thing as a fast flash drive??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kunaak

I've had 3 flash drives in the last 2 weeks and returned them all.

they all cost alot more then my old 512 meg one, but are all just as slow, even though they all supposedly had new features in it, like USB2.0...

but its always slow as hell writing anything to them.
now I know my USB2.0 is working fine, cause my USB Hard Drives is still doing just fine...

but with how slow these Jump Drives are, makes me wonder if theres really been any improvement in that area, since I got my little 512 2 years ago.

at the moment, I have a 480 meg file, and it's taking almost an hour so far to finish...

(modded XP Pro with Nlite, to create a unattended bootable disc, so I can install XP from it, without needing to do all the punching in the keys and all, just boot it, come back 10 minutes later... theres XP... works great, just takes sooooo damn long everytime I mess with a new configuration from Nlite when writing the new mod, back to the flash drive)

What models have you tried? Advertised speed? I've been content with my old Sandisk Cruzer. Writes at a modest 6.7MB/s according to HDtune, although it seems more like 10MB/s when copying files.

I've also heard good things about Corsair flash memory, and I recently recommended this to a friend and he has been more than happy with the drive/speed/storage/price:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820203003

I have an ATP ToughDrive and it's pretty fast:
intelusb4bq.jpg

And waterproof :):
tdh206kt.jpg

Try running ATTO on your jumpdrive and see what kind of numbers you get.

An hour is a big problem. Are you sure your ports are in 2.0 mode? Stupid question but I gotta ask.

I have a decent (I wouldn't call it "fast") Sandisk Mini, and can move 130MB to it at a rate of about 3MB/sec write. takes about 30-40 seconds to write that fiel.

That was my first thought too (USB ports). But he says his USB harddrive works fine.

Well there's got to be something wrong, taking an hour to move 480mb is .13mb/sec, which is slower than even USB 1.1. Have you tried it on a few different computers? front/back ports? Tried moving same file with usb hd on same port?

Are you trying to transfer one file at 480MB, because if you're moving a 480MB folder with thousands of files inside that could be the problem for the slow speed.

Back