• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is there much of a difference between 4 and 8 gigs performance wise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marketpantry

Also is DDR2 PC2-8500 all that muchbetter than 6400? i currently have 4 1 gig sticks of pc6400.

I have windows 7 home premium 64 bit if that matters.

Last edited:
Open up task manager, hit the performance tab, and watch your RAM usage over a period of time. If you never go above 4GB, you won't see any difference. The only thing that's maxed out 4GB for me was Photoshop and a really badly coded indie game open at the same time.

Windows 7 usually gives a low memory popuop when memory usage hits 75%.

And RAM speeds don't matter much other then benching, but if you mix and match, they'll all default to the speed of your slowest stick.

Open up task manager, hit the performance tab, and watch your RAM usage over a period of time. If you never go above 4GB, you won't see any difference. The only thing that's maxed out 4GB for me was Photoshop and a really badly coded indie game open at the same time.

Windows 7 usually gives a low memory popuop when memory usage hits 75%.

And RAM speeds don't matter much other then benching, but if you mix and match, they'll all default to the speed of your slowest stick.

Well, i will be gaming with crysis, gta 4, ect. i am waiting on my mobo so i cant exactly test it now, but i am wondering if anyone else who have played these games have had issues with just 4 gigs.

Save some money by going with 4GB, and you can always upgrade if you find you need it, win/win.

i have 2 1 gig sticks so i would be able to use the first 4 if i do upgrade to 4...anyway ill definitely keep people posted on my final decision. i plan on bench marking the system the moment i get everything crammed in.

Back