• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there such a thing as USB powered cold cathode lights?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knoober

I am looking to add a blacklight (UV right?) to the case and all the lights I can find are powered from a molex plug. The problem is that unless the supplied cable is long enough to run around almost the entire edge of the case, it will ruin my already tenuous cable management. I recall a rumor about lights that ran on USB, but I cant track it down with a web search.

So what I would like is either A) USB powered cold cathode

B) USB powered LED lights )but they kinda have to be blacklights/UV)

any help is appreciated, thanks :)

Cold cathode is all 12v powered. USB is 5v.

If you've got internal USB 3.1 headers, that includes USB-PD (power delivery). Probably not useful, since you'd need an active cable to select the 12 V setting plus another adapter to convert to whatever input your CCFLs have.

There are 5V CCFL inverters. But CCFL is becoming obsolete very quickly in favor for LEDs. UV LEDs are pretty cheap and only need a resistor to run from 5V.

Wouldn't you just know it? The order that has my cffl in it has some UV flashlights as well and I never thought of that! I'll have to see if I can run one of those flashlights from the fan header and a spare fan extension. Comedy at its best I guess :)

Back