• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good sample of GTX 970?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cezar

I got this card from newegg for $204 and -$30 rebate. When I received it I realized that this one lacks 500mb. Did anyone had an opportunity to compare this particular 970 to other 970s? Compared to others 970 how does it perform?

Last edited:
Isn't 500Mb used as a cache or something? That whole "OMG Nvidia screwed us for .5Gb wtf!!!1!" thing?

there is 500Mb that are not used on the 970's, if you run into the issue you'll be in the 1%.
what res is your monitor? if it's 1080 you'll never ever see it.

Last edited:
Is your card over clocked? If so what clocks is it runnimg. And really at the same clocks they are all going to perform the same, the only real difference will be the temps depending on the cooler.

And I use 2 970s at 1440p and have never had issues with the vram

cezar, those cards and cpus are clocked to the max, they use software, NVidia inspector and such to strip heaven of all the eye candy and increase the scores.
don't use those to compare, go read the review benchmark results, those are moon shots.

^C_D is right: don't rely on overclockers benchmarks results.

Download 3dmark11, or firestrike, and compare your score to the ones in the various 970 reviews.

Isn't 500Mb used as a cache or something? That whole "OMG Nvidia screwed us for .5Gb wtf!!!1!" thing?

there is 500Mb that are not used on the 970's, if you run into the issue you'll be in the 1%.
what res is your monitor? if it's 1080 you'll never ever see it.
The extra 512MB is SLOWER guys. It's not cache, it is used when the other 3.5MB is filled.

The extra 512MB is SLOWER guys. It's not cache, it is used when the other 3.5MB is filled.
Ohhhh. So it's basically overflow Vram?
Weird. I thought it'd just be easier to just have 4Gb of fast Vram vs 3.5 and .5.

correct!!! earthdog, but as many as have passed through my hands....... I still can't say I've seen it, my frame rate drops and stutters and stammers have all been cured by minor graphics adjustments.

I have not overclocked yet neither card, nor CPU. So did they fix this problem with 970s that came after revelation about these slow 500mb, or all 970s work have this issue?

all 970's are like that, but don't worry about it.
chuck that card in a slot, install the drivers, tweak the graphics in your game, grab your happy juice of choice and tell us how you love your new card!!!!!!

correct!!! earthdog, but as many as have passed through my hands....... I still can't say I've seen it, my frame rate drops and stutters and stammers have all been cured by minor graphics adjustments.

Nobody has seen it. Many sites re-tested their samples after the news broke and could not produce a single issue. And in fact, it was not the first time that Nvidia and AMD have used that method of structuring Vram. It's actually a pretty cool trick because it doesn't actually lead to any performance degradation even when that .5 is used. It's engineering. The narrative surrounding it sucked, and apparently still does.

970 remains a great card for most people looking at the 1070 but who do not have the uber CPU to not bottleneck it. You need something in the 4.5ghz range or above to not 100% your CPU in CPU intensive games, or parts of games. My 4670k at 4.2ghz cannot keep up in 75% of games I play right now. The 1060 would have been a better choice for me. Or even just keeping my 970.

It is rare, yes. It was not a big deal by any stretch, correct. But the issue is real. That is how people found out about it was with the performance degradation/hitching. After further investigation they uncovered when it happened. But this really only gets ugly at higher resolution and settings where you are eclipsing the 3.5GB mark and more frequently swapping the data in/out of that portion. :)

Back