• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this fan setup ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Whiteshadow

Registered
Hello All.
This is my first post on OverClockers and i have some questions about my new fan setup. I recently built my first rig in a CM 690 ii Advanced case and put some fans in that my friend gave me.

There is a fan controller that controls the cpu fan ,blue top exhaust and the 2 140mm intake fans.
The other fans are controlled by the mobo

All the fans are shown in the pictures except a 80x80x20 exhaust fan on mounted behind the cpu.

My Rig
picture.php

Exhaust
picture.php

Intake
picture.php

picture.php

Edit
The idle temps of my graphics card is around 35C and the cpu is around 30C
Load temps for gpu is 72C While overclocked and cpu gets to around 60C.

With all fans at max speed there is a negative pressure(mainly from high cfm blue exhaust fan). I can tell this by putting a tissue on the side vents(I put 2 layers of flywire for filtering) because it sticks to the side. I did also have a side filtered intake fan but all it seemed to do was blow dust into my graphics card so I removed it.

My questions:
Is this a good setup?
Is the negative pressure ok?
are these temperatures ok?

Also is it better to have the psu how i have it or the other way around so that it sucks air from inside the case rather than the outside air?

This was my first attemt at making my own computer and im only 16 so please no harsh comments.
Thanks in advance.:thup:

Last edited:
You could get a larger fan, if you look air isn't being directed to ALL the heatsink fins.

When you get around to it, if temps are poor get another.

Still, looks okay, it's only a 4 heatpice CPU cooler though.

All depends on you running Prime 95 and Furmark at the same time, recording before idle temps, room temps, and after temps after the PC has been running at max for 10 minutes or so.

From the top pic, the cpu cooler looks like it can handle temps just fine (unsure what brand tho). Add another fan to it for push/pull config (bottom fan is pushing air, top fan will pull the air) :)

Another question.

Does anyone think that replacing this cpu cooler with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO will make a difference or if it will even fit. Also would it be better to have it blow air out the rear or out the top?
Please reply. Thanks

Rear or top shouldn ot make a huge difference, and unless you run into heat PROBLEMS i would not change it, right now you dont REALLY know what you have besides pictures and desktop flow benching haha

So run a stress test and see what temps look like.... try Prime95 on small FFT for an hour or until temps have risen and stabilized for a good 10 min. Monitor temps with HWmonitor just make sure HWmonitor is up and running PRIOR to running P95 so that you can get a good data set on your ambient/idle temps.

Also, put details ofr your build in your sig so we can all see them when talking....

From the top pic, the cpu cooler looks like it can handle temps just fine (unsure what brand tho). Add another fan to it for push/pull config (bottom fan is pushing air, top fan will pull the air) :)

The cooler is a DeepCool IceEdge 200T. This was the cheapest tower cooler i could find and could handle the intel burn test at 75C-80C. Ive now started to overclock at 4.0ghz then 4.5ghz but the cooler couldnt handle this.
Would it be best to add a push/pull setup like you said or buy a new cooler.

Rear or top shouldn ot make a huge difference, and unless you run into heat PROBLEMS i would not change it, right now you dont REALLY know what you have besides pictures and desktop flow benching haha

Ok thanks ill probably leave it as is.

Thanks for the reply:thup:

OFC for the ~30 entry price it would be hard to argue that the 212evo was money poorly spent, but before you throw money @ a problem just make sure it IS a problem....

OFC for the ~30 entry price it would be hard to argue that the 212evo was money poorly spent, but before you throw money @ a problem just make sure it IS a problem....

Thanks for the advice.
I have been thinking about getting a new cooler for a while now because my current cooler doesnt support pwm and my mobo doesnt support voltage control so its always at max rpm which gets annoying:( My friend gave me $30 for installing a gfx card and psu for him so i got some money for it but just wondering if the 212evo is a good cooler or should get something a bit more expensive like the cooler master X6 or even a cheap watercooler.

I think a CPU cooler is very important, if it is only $30 for an upgrade I would do it. if not perhaps the push pull like stated before is a good way to go.

a question, how'd you put that many fans if your PSU has only 3 peripherals/molex cables? i have the same PSU btw...

I have a cheap fan controller for 3 of the fans which runs of a single molex. I also have 4 120mm fans running off a single mobo fan connection by 'splitting' the connection which seems to be going good with no problems:clap:

Thanks for the reply.

that seems suspect dude.... just saying.... splitting 1 into 4 is kinda out there make sure it is not warm or drawing a over current....

that seems suspect dude.... just saying.... splitting 1 into 4 is kinda out there make sure it is not warm or drawing a over current....

It looks as if its running fine. 1 of the fans is differend though. I have 2 120mm 0.30A led fans and 1 120mm 0.16A fan (its only 3 fans, i miscounted:shock:). Will the different fans have an effect on the mobo?

It looks as if its running fine. 1 of the fans is differend though. I have 2 120mm 0.30A led fans and 1 120mm 0.16A fan (its only 3 fans, i miscounted:shock:). Will the different fans have an effect on the mobo?

not much but it might cause some issue in the current if you do not know what you're doing, but i think it's working fine on your side. btw, can you take a pic of your fan controller...

Back