• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this normal? RAID > AHCI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmdixon85

I'm sure this shouldn't make a difference, in fact I'm sure it hasn't made a difference on other board.

But anyway,

Updated the BIOS on my AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 and (stupidly) it always forgets your settings.

So I reset everything back to what (I thought) was the same settings as before. Windows wont boot. BSOD....

Mmmm.... I downgrade BIOS, same thing.

Turns out that the SATA mode was in AHCI instead of RAID...But I'm sure I have change this on other boards before and it didn't course a BSOD. Isn't AHCI just the same as RAID without the RAID BIOS enabled anyway??

Your thoughts?? Do I just remember wrong?. :bang head

And yes I'm well aware the IDE > SATA mode breaks windows (requiring altering the registry).

Pretty sure IDE to AHCI, ACHI to IDE, Raid to ACHI, and ACHI to Raid all cause failure to boot.

I believe the only way you MIGHT be able to go is IDE to Raid or Raid to IDE and that is only if you have the Raid drivers installed or they are the windows default drivers package.

Back