• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Friburg

Registered
As mentioned in a previous thread I started this morning, I have a Corsair H55 cooler.

Since I installed my new processor with this cooler I've been getting temperatures in the single digits. When I first booted into windows my temperature was under 5C, now that I have my everything set up my temperatures sit around 5-10C on idle.

Here is a screenshot of HWMonitor and as you can see in the red ring I've put on the image, it is idle at 8C.

Screenshot 2014-03-20 13.18.39.png

So I ask you, is this normal? Or am I just reading it wrong?

P.S. As you can see, CoreTemp is reading all four cores at the same temps.

-Fri

Its impossible to be lower than your ambient temperature, that I do know. Being an AMD chip, not sure if you should be primarily looking at the package or the other temperature there.

Under 40°C the FX temperature thermocouple isn't accurate. Test load temps with Prime95 for 15min and post that screenshot again.

Its impossible to be lower than your ambient temperature, that I do know. Being an AMD chip, not sure if you should be primarily looking at the package or the other temperature there.

Liquid Nitrogen :p

But unless you are using that, I'd say the readings are in-correct.

Like ATMINSIDE said, run a p95 test.

Not AMD chips... they can run full pot LN2 baths...so can some intel's but AMD is notorious for no clod bugs.

But clearly we are talking AMBIENT temps, not other mediums.

I ran the P95 tests and the temps went up to 33C max. I left HWMonitor open to check the temps while I was testing.

Here's the screenshot.

Screenshot 2014-03-20 13.56.12.png

I hope it makes sense to you guys haha.

-Fri

Well if FX chips can't read correctly under 40C, then it might still be reading it wrong....??

Temps seem pretty normal for a stock 4350.

Going to have to OC some to get into the accurate portion of the temp range (I'm assuming OCing is why you care anyway)

Perhaps. Well seeing as the temperatures don't read correct under 40C then I see no point in having programs like CoreTemp running in the background taking up unneeded RAM.

Unless I am best to keep it on?

-Fri

Temps seem pretty normal for a stock 4350.

Going to have to OC some to get into the accurate portion of the temp range (I'm assuming OCing is why you care anyway)

Not in particularly. Not until I have everything set up, ex. new case, new PSU and new GPU. Then I will dive into the world of OCing ;)

-Fri

Perhaps. Well seeing as the temperatures don't read correct under 40C then I see no point in having programs like CoreTemp running in the background taking up unneeded RAM.

Unless I am best to keep it on?

-Fri

At stock there's no real reason to monitor unless you're just curious.

At stock there's no real reason to monitor unless you're just curious.

Merely just curiosity. I checked the temps before and after installation of my cooler, then when I got my new mobo and CPU just to see the difference.

So yeah, merely just curiosity.

Thanks for all the info, it was certainly an insight into my system and what not. Much appreciated.

-Fri

Merely just curiosity. I checked the temps before and after installation of my cooler, then when I got my new mobo and CPU just to see the difference.

So yeah, merely just curiosity.

Thanks for all the info, it was certainly an insight into my system and what not. Much appreciated.

-Fri

Glad I could help :)

Back