• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issues after Bios flash (help!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xander89

Hey all

So I am having some very annoying issues with my mobo after a BIOS flash. ( P8Z68-V/GEN3 )

So i got a 3570k to replace my 2700k ( there are reasons so lets skip over that)

After flashing my BIOS i checked the 3570k was working and it booted up fine the first time. I then got to work on delidding which went off without a hitch.

Reseated the 3570k and started up the machine and It wouldn't turn on, it seemed the memory error light was stuck on red. It seems in the process i managed to kill one of my ram sticks, god knows how, but it happened.

So i took out 8GB (which in included the stick i found was bad) and it started up and so got to work on OCing it but i couldnt. Any time i make changes in the BIOS is just wont boot after i restart.

Once i switch the overclocking settings to manual and set the ram to say 1866mhz or any other value apart from 1066mhz it just wont boot and the memory LED stays red, hell it even wont boot if I just change the OC settings from auto to manual but dont touch anything else. Also if i try and change the CPU multiplier to anything above the stock freq / cpu ratio it just wont change, it just reverts to the default ratio. I will put in say 40, but it goes straight back to the original value (even if i have changed it to manual overclocking)

Now i know its not the processor as i have put the 2700k in there and the exact same thing happens and i have tried it with 1 stick of ram as well, it always happens.

Once i have changed something in the BIOS and it refuses to boot the only way to get it to boot again is to clr the CMOS. I am currently in the OS and i have stress tested for a few hours as well and it seems rock solid. Its just the BIOS is acting really really weird. I thought i could be a borked bios flash but i have tried 3 different versions and its the same result each time and considering its said they have all been successful that cant be it. Like a fool i forgot to keep my old bios. But i need a newer up to date bios to run the IB CPU anyways.

Oh also i used ez flash 2 to update the bios and i have also used

Does anyone know what might be causing the issues? Is there any way to install the BIOS other than EZ flash? Would that help?

Any suggestions would be amazing, because at the moment i am totally at a loss as to what to do. :shrug:

Cheers

It seems there are issues with the updated bios and the only way to solve it is to roll back to the old version, which is useless for me considering i need it to support IB. Thanks for the borked bios asus. :(

seems like i am going to have to buy a new mobo. Seems like the only way around it

Last edited:
I have that exact board with a 2600k on it. Im using the last BIOS released and I have no issues. I will ask the obvious are you sure you ARE using the correct BIOS. I know there are several variation to this board and you really need to be very careful to make sure you are using the right one. You should be using the 3603 BIOS found here:
http://support.asus.com/download.as.../GEN3&p=1&s=39&os=8&hashedid=lUiebGYgCR9OAc31

Please note that there are 2 versions of the BIOS. Use the one that correlates to your OS.

As you can see you can also download and revert to any previous BIOS in the list. Using EZ-Flash is the best way to update your BIOS. I have seen issues with some USB sticks as well as using a different USB ports. So try a different USB stick and/or different port. I do not suggest using the front panel ports. Of course be sure you have everything set to defaults when updating your BIOS. Don't do it when overclocked.

After the BIOS is updated go to the BIOS and force a reset to defaults and reboot it normally. Assuming it gets to the OS you may then reboot and start your OC.
I'm sure you already know this but just in case lets cover the basics first. I have updated my BIOS on that very same board and have never ever had an issue.
My only other concern is you de-lidded your chip. is it possible you damaged the board some how? i.e bent a pin. . . some thermal compound in the socket . . . the heat spreader grounded somewhere. . . Im jsut guessing here from what you have posted. Let us know how it goes and I hope I was able to help.

Z

I have that exact board with a 2600k on it. Im using the last BIOS released and I have no issues. I will ask the obvious are you sure you ARE using the correct BIOS. I know there are several variation to this board and you really need to be very careful to make sure you are using the right one. You should be using the 3603 BIOS found here:
http://support.asus.com/download.as.../GEN3&p=1&s=39&os=8&hashedid=lUiebGYgCR9OAc31

Please note that there are 2 versions of the BIOS. Use the one that correlates to your OS.

As you can see you can also download and revert to any previous BIOS in the list. Using EZ-Flash is the best way to update your BIOS. I have seen issues with some USB sticks as well as using a different USB ports. So try a different USB stick and/or different port. I do not suggest using the front panel ports. Of course be sure you have everything set to defaults when updating your BIOS. Don't do it when overclocked.

After the BIOS is updated go to the BIOS and force a reset to defaults and reboot it normally. Assuming it gets to the OS you may then reboot and start your OC.
I'm sure you already know this but just in case lets cover the basics first. I have updated my BIOS on that very same board and have never ever had an issue.
My only other concern is you de-lidded your chip. is it possible you damaged the board some how? i.e bent a pin. . . some thermal compound in the socket . . . the heat spreader grounded somewhere. . . Im jsut guessing here from what you have posted. Let us know how it goes and I hope I was able to help.

Z

As i mentioned i used the 2700k and the exactly same issues occurs. The delidding was on a vice and nowhere near the mobo. And yes i used the right bios. Asus ezflash wont let you use the wrong bios to flash. it wont recognize the rom. Double checked my model and downloaded the BIOS for windows 8.1 (yes 3603). I rolled it back to 3402 then 3201 no change. Every time it said it was successful when flashed. You cant roll it back to the original bios though (0301) neither the ez flash of flash utility from DOS will work.

If there is any obstruction to the socket ie a bent pin/thermal paste etc the comp wont boot before (had a tiny bit of tissue get struck in there once) and I always make sure before I seat a processor. Considering it occurs on both processors in exactly the same manner it leads me to believe it has nothing to do with the processor.

I ordered a new mobo and am going to try and buy a new bios chip to see if that works. Once the new chip is here I am just going to flog the z68 for £45-50

cheers for the help though :(

Back