• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

issues at 4.5ghz with 6600k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

simpson110

well i ffinally built my first rig and started to overclock it. everything was going well until i go to 4.5ghz. so before i go on ill give you guys the specs:

cpu: i5 6600k
mobo: msi z170a krait gaimg
ram: g.skill ripjaws v 3200 8gb
cooling: corsair h100i gtx
gpu: evga gtx 980 sc acx 2.0
psu evga g2 750w

ok now on to the issue i have run into. when i am running the stress test in aida64 i noticed that my multiplier has been fluctuating while testing. it starts at 45 and drops to around 40 then back and continues this trend. through all this my core temps have never gone above 44c. i am using hwmonitor to check temp and the cpuz included in aida 64 for voltage.

it did not do this at 4.4ghz @ 1.260v and now i am at 4.5ghz @ 1.310v and it continues to throttle back. i dont want to keep blindly throwing voltage at it hoping it stops because i really dont have enough experience overclocking to justify that.

i have search this forum and google with some results but nothing that has really helped me, most that i have seen say to raise the TDP voltage but i cant seem to find a similar setting in my bios.

any help for a newb would be awesome and this site has gotten to this point so far so i have high hopes.

I have no idea why but on some MSI boards there is power/current protection which is causing CPUs to throttle even on stock. You have to raise TDP, power, current etc. limits and I mean to the max, not only 10% or something. There is probably also one more option in first tabs ( with general settings but I don't know your board's BIOS ) which is adding overcurrent protection. At least on my board it's causing power delivery issues. MSI also added BIOS updates in couple of boards because of that.

Other thing which you can try is to disable all power saving options ( C states, EIST etc ) but leave turbo enabled. It should keep CPU clock at its max value.

You can also ask MSI if they have any other idea as it's clearly repetable issue on Z170 MSI boards.

Thanks for the help, I'll try that when I get home from work. When I was looking I didn't notice anything that said tdp or current or wattage but it's possible I missed it.

I have the msi click bios 5 but you are probably talking about the version.

Thanks again Woomack, after raising the long and short term wattages and the current limit its running at full speed again

Back