• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issues with my ASRock 990FX Extreme9 MB.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm on my 3rd RMA for the Extreme9. I have not had the same issues that MarkS is refering to. I will say when the board is working, it's very stout. But these just seem to give out way to prematurly. My current RMA died while underclocking for the Summer Overclocktagon. I've never experienced thermal throttling either. I've had my 3 boards up to 1.8v under extreme cooling without issue. I'm hoping they replace this one with a NIB so I can sell it and move on to the CHV-Z.

"overstress", to me anyway, sounds like it would lead to damage. I don't do much overclocking, so maybe that is why I haven't had issues.
'Overstress' was an exaggerated choice of words. You won't damage anything being just a minor overclocker. It'll just be a little harder to get set up good. Don't worry, you have access to more than enough help. :)
Just hope you get a good board back.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm on my 3rd RMA for the Extreme9. I have not had the same issues that MarkS is refering to. I will say when the board is working, it's very stout. But these just seem to give out way to prematurly. My current RMA died while underclocking for the Summer Overclocktagon. I've never experienced thermal throttling either. I've had my 3 boards up to 1.8v under extreme cooling without issue. I'm hoping they replace this one with a NIB so I can sell it and move on to the CHV-Z.
You're much more patient than me. Two boards in and I was done. :p

I sent an email to NewEgg's service department asking if I could exchange it for the Sabertooth. I went down this road before back in 2007 with my first build. I bought an ASUS board at the time with little research, only to find it had major issues (P5N32-SLI Deluxe). The first board had to be RMA'd almost immediately and the replacement had problems as well. ASUS ended up replacing the board with a new model.

I don't want to go down that road again...

Last edited:
You're much more patient than me. Two boards in and I was done. :p

More patient or just more stubborn? Who knows :)

In truth the first replacement board they sent me never had issues. But it didn't have a 990FX chipset either. Some server chipset according to google. She benched fine but wasn't compatable with AOD. In the end it wasn't what I ordered so they agreed to RMA.

I got a hold of NewEgg and they cannot exchange the board for the Sabertooth due to the price, so I had them refund it.

I got a hold of NewEgg and they cannot exchange the board for the Sabertooth due to the price, so I had them refund it.

I have a Gen 1 and an R2. Both are really good boards. There is a large sampling of people on this forum who swear by the Sabertooth and Crosshair 5. Other boards have less of a body of work and more mixed reviews.

I now have, and use the sabertooth 990fx R2.0, many chv-f and the chv-f-z, all great board what ever cpu you care to pitch in them.
I had the first release sabertooth, and now I know why mandrake wanted it when i got my first sabertooth 990fx R2.0...........
I'm thinking about trying to give him his money back........

Just perusing the Newegg reviews I saw this response from ASRock support-

Manufacturer Response:
Dear Valued ASRock Customer

Thank you for your purchase and review.
Please load the BIOS default.
Allow better air circulation inside the chassis including around VRM area to avoid overheating.
If using 125w or 220w CPU, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design or install chassis fan top of VRM area.

If you have any technical Support inquiry, please contact us at http://www.ASRock.com/Support/tsd.asp. We will assist you shortly.

Thank you

ASRock Support
Tech Support Email: http://www.ASRock.com/Support/tsd.asp

Whenever a motherboard manufacturer recommends you use a downdraft cooler to cool the vrm area you are in trouble. MSI does this on their highly combustible AM3+ line up of boards.

Whenever a motherboard manufacturer recommends you use a downdraft cooler to cool the vrm area you are in trouble. MSI does this on their highly combustible AM3+ line up of boards.

They go on to say "or a chassis fan", which we recommend to anyone on an 8-Core FX as well.

So you are comparing what overclockers and tinkerers do to official support from a company? Thats absurd. The board is listed as supporting 125 watt and 220 watt cpu's.

What do you think the 220W CPUs are? They're exactly what we had people put fans on the motherboard for when overclocking any 8 core.

So you are comparing what overclockers and tinkerers do to official support from a company? Thats absurd. The board is listed as supporting 125 watt and 220 watt cpu's.

EDIT: It does support it, but you need to address the heat issue. That's not the manufacturers responsibility, it's ours. END EDIT.

I don't see why that's an issue. What they're telling you is it's better to keep the VRM's cool. Why is that bad? I'm sure they'd recommend a high end cooler also. Would you be upset if they suggested that?

What do you think the 220W CPUs are? They're exactly what we had people put fans on the motherboard for when overclocking any 8 core.

EDIT: It does support it, but you need to address the heat issue. That's not the manufacturers responsibility, it's ours. END EDIT.

I don't see why that's an issue. What they're telling you is it's better to keep the VRM's cool. Why is that bad? I'm sure they'd recommend a high end cooler also. Would you be upset if they suggested that?

It was at stock. There was no overclock involved. If you have to zip tie a spot fan to your vrm heatsink for a "supported" cpu to run at spec then there is a problem. Overclocking and crazy volts are one thing. Having to jerry-rig a spot fan or use a downdraft cooler to cool a chipset on a supported cpu running at stock is unacceptable on a supposed top-tier board.

Let's get to the "meat" of the story. The Quote that you posted from a "Newegg" Review doesn't mention what board ASRock is refering to. To my knowledge only the 990FX Extreme9 supports the 220W CPU's so let's safely assume that's the board we're refering to.

A stock 125W CPU will NOT require a spot fan on the VRM's to keep them cool. Adequate case ventilation along with the stock VRM heatsink will do just fine. However, spot fans will HELP keep this area cool and I would always recommend them on any board running AMD FX line. They ALL get warm.

A stock 220W CPU, we all know we are referring to the FX9xxx series here. Well, The FX9xxx is just a factory overclocked FX8xxx. Yes they have higher P-States but it is essentially just an overclocked FX8. Will it require a spot fan on the VRM? Maybe not, but in my opinion it absolutely should have one. Will it overheat without one. Probably not under normal load conditions but with CnQ and all the other power savers turned off and putting under extreme loads like benching or stability testing then it very likely could. I've read several posts from some very trusted members that will tell you that even at stock the FX9 will throttle its self under heavy load, at stock mind you.

Now, if you've read through all that and are still with me I'd like to say I do agree in part with you. I believe the board should come with a factory fan pre-installed on the VRM's so you don't have to add you're own. I've seen other much older boards with this. The issue with those were that they were loud and annoying and most people just pulled them off anyhow.

The fact is we're talking about the largest heater this industry has seen (to my knowledge). The best option of course is to water cool it. Now that's even more money and will drive the price out of most peoples price range.

Let's get to the "meat" of the story. The Quote that you posted from a "Newegg" Review doesn't mention what board ASRock is refering to. To my knowledge only the 990FX Extreme9 supports the 220W CPU's so let's safely assume that's the board we're refering to.

So, what you're telling me is that if I plan on upgrading my processor to the FX-9590, as I am planning to do, I am limited to the Extreme9? The Sabertooth doesn't support it?

[EDIT] It looks like the ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z supports 220 watt CPUs. I guess that it what I'll be getting...

Last edited:
No, sorry that's not what I'm saying at all. The EXT9 is the only board ASRock lists of theirs that supports it. The Saberkitty and CHV-F-Z both support it. The CHV-F-Z is your better option for that CPU (and that's the one I'll probably get when my RMA comes in).

EDIT: You'll still want active cooling on your VRMs with ASUS.

Everyone, thanks for the time and effort answering my questions, but this isn't happening for the time being.

At first, all I wanted to do was upgrade the processor to the FX-9590. I did a little digging and found it wouldn't work with my 970 Extreme3. :-/ OK, so I bought a new motherboard. That lead to this mess. Turns out, even though the 9590 requires a 990FX chipset, and there are nearly a dozen 990FX motherboards, there are only two 990FX boards that will support a 220 watt chip. Clearly, the 990FX Extreme9 isn't the way to go, so I'm left with the Crosshair V. Oh, but wait! My dinky 600 watt PSU will not be enough and AMD recommends a 1000 watt. OK, fine. I'll budget for that. Then I find that the only motherboard that can run this processor without constant RMA's basically requires the northbridge to be water cooled. :eh?: The only water cooling I was planning on was the supplied unit that comes with the 9590. Doing some more research turned up an example of someone with a Crosshair V with a water cooled northbridge using a 9590 that had his motherboard catch on fire.:shock:

So, what was going to be a simple processor upgrade for less than $300 has turned into this nightmare build well over $1000, with the possibility of burning down my house in the process!

Tell me why I shouldn't go with Intel?

Unfortunately, when trying to run one of these Fx 8xxx/9xxx processors in the high 4 Ghz range on all 8 "cores" they require a stout motherboard and top end cooling. A 1000w Cpu is total overkill unless you're running a AMD Gpu and overclocking the pee out of both the Cpu and Gpu. I've run my Fx 8350 @ 5.1 with my GTX 580 Oced for benching on a 650 W Seasonic Gold Psu without issue, but once I went up to 5.2+ I started having issues.

I do not care for the Fx 9590 chips at all, due mainly to the lack of knowledge most users have when purchasing one. Most people do not realize what a beast of a chip it is to run and top end supporting components are needed along side it. If you are really looking for an AMD Fx chip go get an Fx 8370 they seem to be pretty well binned chips. I have seen a few come through this forum that will do 4.7 - 4.8 on much lesser voltage then the Fx 9590. You should be able to OC one to around 4.7 Ghz on good cooling, such as an AIO Water heatsink. You will still need a good motherboard to run it such as the 990 Fx Sabertooth as mentioned. If one is only looking for a mild Oc, around 4.5 Ghz, an Asus M5A99X Evo or 990Fx Pro will handle it in most cases.

I have a couple of things to say.

First: Those Sabertooth boards, of both revisions, work with that CPU.

Proof of rev 1:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37763-ASUS-Sabertooth-990FX-Rev-1-and-AMD-FX9590

Proof of rev 2:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...rtooth-990FX-R2-0-Amd-FX-9590-Freeze-Unstable

Second: The VRMs are stout enough. They just need a fan pointed at them. I have a low rpm yate loon fan pointed at mine, and it keeps it cool. Granted, I have a different, lower clocked chip than you, but when I was trying to hit 5GHz, I had to lay on some crazy voltages. It worked out fine. Make sure to install the AI Suite software, and check the vrm temps. Keep it under 90c! Do this while stress-testing, obviously :p

Third: I don't know what you have right now Mark, but you will probably need a good cooler for this chip. It will run very hot. If you don't already have a robust cooler, just undervolt it some, and maybe drop a couple hundred megahertz. It's (probably) a better bin than the 8350, so it should work out okay speed-wise.

Fourth: Skylake overclocks really well, from what I've seen from reviews so far, and can be de-lidded for much better thermals (someone on overclock.net has already done this). If you get one, you will probably be happy with it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the RAM. I've never heard of a board being slower with the ram maxed out. I have two 8GB sticks in mine, and it's happy with the bigger dimms. Plus, the ECC works! Asus' website says it only goes up to 32GB. Maybe so. I've never had a 16GB dimm to throw at it to find out.

Back