• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issues with my ASRock 990FX Extreme9 MB.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You should, get Skylake.

I'm just not into this integrated GPU nonsense. Use that space on the die for more cores or fewer, more powerful cores. I'll supply the GPU. But then, I've been at this for too long and am set in my ways and cranky...

go intel, it's better, just less knobs to twist and buttons that need to be pushed.
if you just can't stand the thought of an igpu, get a haswell 4690k and just about any mid line board will do the trick and an aio cooler will do you fine.

I'm just not into this integrated GPU nonsense. Use that space on the die for more cores or fewer, more powerful cores. I'll supply the GPU. But then, I've been at this for too long and am set in my ways and cranky...

If you don't like the iGPU, just don't use it.
I'll say this though, if you ever have a GPU die on you that iGPU is suddenly your best friend.

If you don't like the iGPU, just don't use it.
I'll say this though, if you ever have a GPU die on you that iGPU is suddenly your best friend.

I understand that, but my point is what are we missing by having a GPU on the CPU die? How much more powerful of a CPU could it have been? How many more cores could have been added? If I was building a console gaming system, it would make sense. It is just wasted silicon to me. Anyway, beyond the point of this discussion.

I understand that, but my point is what are we missing by having a GPU on the CPU die? How much more powerful of a CPU could it have been? How many more cores could have been added? If I was building a console gaming system, it would make sense. It is just wasted silicon to me. Anyway, beyond the point of this discussion.

Nothing. Because if you want more cores you go buy into the -E lineup.

and if you just surf the interwebs, watch tv and other mundane things an igpu is plenty good and adds no heat to the case and with that comes less fan noise.

Nothing. Because if you want more cores you go buy into the -E lineup.
You miss the point. If the GPU wasn't there, the silicone could be used for something crazy, like more CPU or something. To me, the combination is bizarre and unnecessary. What are they trying to accomplish?

and if you just surf the interwebs, watch tv and other mundane things an igpu is plenty good and adds no heat to the case and with that comes less fan noise.
I am not saying that the integrated GPU is bad or of poor quality, but that it is superfluous.

You miss the point. If the GPU wasn't there, the silicone could be used for something crazy, like more CPU or something. To me, the combination is bizarre and unnecessary. What are they trying to accomplish?

It's plenty powerful for anyone that isn't rendering on the GPU (read: gaming, intensive 3D modeling, etc).
This is the reason it's called the "Mainstream" lineup from Intel. The "Enthusiast" lineup doesn't have the iGPU and has more cores/cache/PCIe lanes.

What they're trying to accomplish is lower power, more affordable, and one size fits all.
They've done this very nicely.

Mark I feel you're putting way too much thought into this, the bottom line is the the Intel product that has been suggested to buy has an IGpu on it. Regardless of whether it is unnecessary, unneeded or non essential, however you want to put it. The Igpu is on the die and that is how Intel makes it. The I7 6700k in most cases will run circles around any AMD Fx chip, while using a lot less power, therefore generating a lot less heat. If one is really stuck on the IGpu part Intel has the Haswell-E line as stated above, with more cores/Hyper threading.

This isn't to say the Fx chips are bad chips, I actually use my Fx 8350 as my daily rig over my I7 4770k and really like it. Though, as I said in post #39, they require top notch components to run well, especially if one is looking to Oc them. Therefore, the cost savings over going with an Intel setup is a lot less.

Mark, I also wish that the iGPU was replaced with a huge cache, or with extra cores. Intel has left that to the -e series. And the -e series is usually around 1 architecture behind the most recent. It's annoying. And, horrifically enough, the 4 cores, even with all that die space wasted by the gpu, are still faster than AMD's best. And draw staggeringly less power. It's super annoying.

I feel I should defend the iGPU now. It is very handy as a backup when troubleshooting dedicated gpus. Also, Intel is putting so much effort into the gpu architecture, and into the drivers, that I have hope that with HBM, it will soon replace dedicated cards in the low-mid range market segment. And one more thing: I hear from one of Intel's employee's that simply deleting the gpu, and adding cores requires some very significant re-architecting. Partly because of thermal density, partly because of internal latency (from the wire length), partly because the cache has to be re-arranged big time. I think that might be why the -e series usually takes a while to release.

Let's get to the "meat" of the story. The Quote that you posted from a "Newegg" Review doesn't mention what board ASRock is refering to. To my knowledge only the 990FX Extreme9 supports the 220W CPU's so let's safely assume that's the board we're refering to.

A stock 125W CPU will NOT require a spot fan on the VRM's to keep them cool. Adequate case ventilation along with the stock VRM heatsink will do just fine. However, spot fans will HELP keep this area cool and I would always recommend them on any board running AMD FX line. They ALL get warm.

A stock 220W CPU, we all know we are referring to the FX9xxx series here. Well, The FX9xxx is just a factory overclocked FX8xxx. Yes they have higher P-States but it is essentially just an overclocked FX8. Will it require a spot fan on the VRM? Maybe not, but in my opinion it absolutely should have one. Will it overheat without one. Probably not under normal load conditions but with CnQ and all the other power savers turned off and putting under extreme loads like benching or stability testing then it very likely could. I've read several posts from some very trusted members that will tell you that even at stock the FX9 will throttle its self under heavy load, at stock mind you.

Now, if you've read through all that and are still with me I'd like to say I do agree in part with you. I believe the board should come with a factory fan pre-installed on the VRM's so you don't have to add you're own. I've seen other much older boards with this. The issue with those were that they were loud and annoying and most people just pulled them off anyhow.

The fact is we're talking about the largest heater this industry has seen (to my knowledge). The best option of course is to water cool it. Now that's even more money and will drive the price out of most peoples price range.

The review was for an Extreme9. The ASRock rep said to use a spot fan and a downdraft cooler. The owner of the board stated everything was running at stock speed and voltages and he should not have to do that. I agree with him, why do you need workarounds to run a "supported" cpu at stock speeds no less on a board that touts "220 watt cpu support".

I agree the EXT9 should not NEED additional fans for the VRMs at stock. Again, I would still always recommend it. I run a fan on my VRMs with just my FX4130.

The board should not need the fan. If they rated it as compatibly, it should be compatible.

But does actually need one? Probably. My board needed the fan, the temps were getting dangerous (caps are usually rated somewhere between 85c and 105c) and it's supposedly got a very nice power delivery section on it. I'll go out on a limb, and say that probably even a Crosshair V would need active cooling on the VRMs for that chip.

Back