• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issues with my first IVY Overclock.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SisterFister

Registered
Recently built a new desktop on 1/1/2013. Got an i5-3570k. I have overclocked in the past, both with Core 2 Duo's, one in my old desktop a few years ago and more recently my P7350 in my G51VX.

I have an Asus P87ZZ-V LX mobo with the latest bios. I have been able to successfully, after much trial and error, push this baby to a stable 4.5 Ghz. -- BUT, my core voltage needs to be INSANELY high to due so. I am currently at 1.408 volts...:-/

I have great cooling, at stock 3.8 ghz with turbo mode and 12 hours of prime my max temp was 62c. At my current voltage, idle temps vary from 36-38c on all cores, and after 12 hours of prime, my temps hit 81c. I have a Cooler Master N 520 heatsink with the two stock fans in Push-pull. Also used AS5 as my TIM.

I really don't think these voltages will necessarily hurt long term as my temps are not the bad during daily use, an hour of ArmA 3 Alpha and my hottest core temp was 66c. But perhaps I am overlooking something in the BIOS?

I have multiplier at 45, LLC to 75% (Very High in asus bios i believe), cpu power to 120%, Phase mode to extreme, and PLL overvoltage turned on. I have left all C states on as those effect stability, and turning them off I was not able to drop my voltage any further. Note i have voltage set to 1.4 exactly in the bios.

Here is my CPU-Z validation, in case anyone wants to see it for reference.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2742685

This is my first hardcore overclock, but I did have my 2.0Ghz core 2 duo in my lappy oc'ed to 2.5 (25% oc) after modding it. I ran 2 plus years without having to increase or decrease the voltages on it.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, please do. Either I got a really bad chip (mine is a costa rican one), or I am messing something up big time in my bios settings.

Have you tried youtube for a video of settings on your motherboard? 1.4 to get 4.5, I know they can do better. Of course every chip is different. I have a different board, but I didn't have to do much for mine to get 4.8.

After doing some research, it appears my board is lacking for some overclocking features. I will be upgrading to a better board in the future anyways.

I have watched some videos, but still haven't been able to get it quite right.

Interesting its considered a low end board. Mine isn't exactly high end either, neither is the Asrock I exchanged it for. Both were able to give me a good overclock with minimal voltage increases. Both boards were also under $100 on sale with bundle deals also.

Interesting its considered a low end board. Mine isn't exactly high end either, neither is the Asrock I exchanged it for. Both were able to give me a good overclock with minimal voltage increases. Both boards were also under $100 on sale with bundle deals also.

I have had some issues with this board though. I had originally set a 4.2 Ghz overclock before stepping up to 4.5, but the CPU would not overclock. I ended up having to flash the CMOS, then the board would overclock. If I change to many settings, it seems to "lock up". I can change settings how I please, but no matter the clock stays fixed. CMOS clear is the only way to fix the problem.

For now, I have gave up on 4.5. The volts are just to high to feel comfortable. I have a 4.2 Ghz OC now, and temps are even better, barely hitting 56c. I can probably continue to drop the voltage a bit more, I am 1.256 right now, but thats rock solid and should drop quite a bit more.

I have had some issues with this board though. I had originally set a 4.2 Ghz overclock before stepping up to 4.5, but the CPU would not overclock. I ended up having to flash the CMOS, then the board would overclock. If I change to many settings, it seems to "lock up". I can change settings how I please, but no matter the clock stays fixed. CMOS clear is the only way to fix the problem.

For now, I have gave up on 4.5. The volts are just to high to feel comfortable. I have a 4.2 Ghz OC now, and temps are even better, barely hitting 56c. I can probably continue to drop the voltage a bit more, I am 1.256 right now, but thats rock solid and should drop quite a bit more.

A 3570k at 4.2 is more than enough power. Do I need 4.8? Nope, but I get to brag lol. I haven't tried, but my chip might have a 5.0 in it. I have never had a CPU overclock this easy. :rock::rock:

A 3570k at 4.2 is more than enough power. Do I need 4.8? Nope, but I get to brag lol. I haven't tried, but my chip might have a 5.0 in it. I have never had a CPU overclock this easy. :rock::rock:

Very nice. I see you won the lottery on your CPU.

Hopefully I can pull more out of this thing on a new mobo. At stock, mine runs 1.016v idle, and at 3.8Ghz uses 1.224v using the default motherboard settings.

Either this mobo doesn't overclock well (I hope) or I got a really poor chip.

Voltage on auto? Most can do 4ghz at sock voltage. Try setting it manually to 1.1v and see if you can't hit 4gh

Very nice. I see you won the lottery on your CPU.

Hopefully I can pull more out of this thing on a new mobo. At stock, mine runs 1.016v idle, and at 3.8Ghz uses 1.224v using the default motherboard settings.

Either this mobo doesn't overclock well (I hope) or I got a really poor chip.

I didn't even overclock mine in small steps. After I had everything running, I just typed in 4.4 and booted right up. Ran Prime for a while, then did 4.6, same results. I am like okay, will it do 4.8, yup, never had a single error in prime. I get 86c max running Prime, I know that's more than anything else is going to create temp wise, so I am done.

Voltage on auto? Most can do 4ghz at sock voltage. Try setting it manually to 1.1v and see if you can't hit 4gh

Yeah, voltage set in offset auto. I should have noted it only hit the 1.2 range under full load with prime though. Otherwise stays around 1v. I will try to up the voltage to 1.1 and see if i can hit 4 ghz in a bit.

I didn't even overclock mine in small steps. After I had everything running, I just typed in 4.4 and booted right up. Ran Prime for a while, then did 4.6, same results. I am like okay, will it do 4.8, yup, never had a single error in prime. I get 86c max running Prime, I know that's more than anything else is going to create temp wise, so I am done.

Damn. Quite a good chip you got there. Are you at 4.8Ghz right now on air? If so, impressive.

Yeah, voltage set in offset auto. I should have noted it only hit the 1.2 range under full load with prime though. Otherwise stays around 1v. I will try to up the voltage to 1.1 and see if i can hit 4 ghz in a bit.

Damn. Quite a good chip you got there. Are you at 4.8Ghz right now on air? If so, impressive.

Yep, rig is in my signature. Here is a short run of Prime, I ran it longer later on. Also bumped the voltage up. Too bad you dont have Microcenter in FL, my board is on sale for $87.99 with rebate and $40 off for a bundle deal with a 3570k etc.

Okay, did that. Booted right up. 1.1 in bios, 1.104 in cpuz. Temps are lower than they were on auto at 3.8ghz as well! Max temps hitting only 53c now.

Yep, rig is in my signature. Here is a short run of Prime, I ran it longer later on. Also bumped the voltage up. Too bad you dont have Microcenter in FL, my board is on sale for $87.99 with rebate and $40 off for a bundle deal with a 3570k etc.

Very nice. I dream of a chip that can overclock that well. Hopefully I can figure something out with mine, even if it takes getting a better mobo in the future.

Heres a pic of the 1.1v. I am slowly going to increase the clock without touching voltages and see at what point I fail to boot or be stable is at. I am suprised that I can run 4.0ghz at 1.1v faster, cooler, and with less voltage than stock.

Attachments

• 4ghz.jpg
    4ghz.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 136
Heres a pic of the 1.1v. I am slowly going to increase the clock without touching voltages and see at what point I fail to boot or be stable is at. I am suprised that I can run 4.0ghz at 1.1v faster, cooler, and with less voltage than stock.

If you do get a new mobo, hit up youtube and type in 3570k overclock. You will see a guy from NCIX use my mobo and chip, cant get much easier. With the Click Bios II, you can even overclock from your desktop.

Well I guess my clock is average then, i'm at 4.3g with 1.26v in the bios

I was upset when 1.28 didn't give me 4.4g so I decided to do a search here cause i'm not familiar with voltage ranges on this machine.

I'm thinking my cooling isn't so hot though cause i'm at 70c full load with the above settings and my room temp is 18.5c/65f

maybe I should just leave it alone because it's uber fast and I don't know how much I need a few more hz

I would use max CPU load line calibration and then do a quick run of Intel Burn Test.

And check the event log for WHEA-related errors! If zero correctable-errors found, you're good. ;)

Hey all, I know, kind of a zombie post.

First, I want to thank everyone for their help. Even though it has taken me a month to bother really trying to push my i5 to 4.5 with good volts/temps, I have only gotten this far because of ideas I have been given (and that nobody told me I was an idiot so far).

I had given up on overclocking for a few weeks, and recently moved into my new case and upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro.

I now have a Corsair Carbide 400R. The combination of the new case for increased airflow and the new clean OS install have really made a difference.

I am now at 4.5 GHz at 1.33 Volts set in the bios.

scZbL92sreG4dVs2gw658UG_z3yrYbiTkc-_tFOxk2M

CPU-Z Validation: http://valid.canardpc.com/2773442

I also have my heatsink pointing UPWARDS. Doing this, as well as having 2x 120MM intake fans on my side panel have really made a difference in normal gaming temps. My GPU and CPU never go about 65C after a few hours of BF3 on max settings in 1080p! My idle temps dropped about 2c.

Here are some pictures of my finished build.

da3XiBgXr86uyZ4klflUgqV4y4FT4JwaR-quN2XA3_Q

BJiCzm2NB20DweTZUwJ2jpo2PES7SkW_AUbbik_dVzg

C8bJR9vQqlGW1WTnYXe-5azXDlP_cBYS7byVmNXXDlM

Back