• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

**it happens

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monstergamin

Registered
I spent the last 2 scanning the forums and picking minds while planning to upgrade to X58 i7 platform. I was working with a budget of about $700.
well as we all know in real life things happen, especially things like bills and wife aggro. well to keep the peace I either had to scratch the upgrade for 6-8 months or work with a budget of under $500. So I did what anyone with itch to upgrade ,but cant really afford it does, Thank God for AMD! I wanted to make surre I did in this upgrade was
1.3.0 USB & 6.0 SATA
2. find a MOBO that is going to last sevral yrs and able to upgrade
3. find a AMD board that takes SLI (gonna get everything I can out of my XFX 8800gt's
so here is what I came up with

Phenom2 955 Black edition
MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 AMD 890FX
Gskill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24-2N
500-750 GB hdd SATA 3.9GB

I honestly havent found another MOBO that comes close to the 890FXA that has what I want and is SLI
I am open for any other options or suggestions
as far as memory goes is the DDR3 1600 going to out preform 1333 ?
the ripjaw has the best Lactency for the money I can find.

I am upgrading from a Athlon fx x2 5600 & EVGA 590I I am guessing I will notice a decent preformance upgrade. I guess I am looking for a second opinion on wether or not this a solid build or not?
*I just using my old case and drives for now.

Thx guys

The 890FX is a great mobo,but its gonna be tricky to find one that supports SLI,As for ram i reccomend Team Xtreem DDR3-1866LV CL8,WGA certified and cheaper than OCZ or Corsair.(www.teamgroup.com.tw)As for the mobo,U should check out Asus/MSI/Gigabyte websites.

I think you want THIS BOARD for SLI and AM3. But it doesnt have sata6 or usb3...the board you list up there will not work with SLI I dont believe.

BIG SAVE!! thx I dont know what I was thinking I been reading so many reviews and specs I am starting to see what I want yeah it is a crossfire not SLI. really the only board I been able to find is ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI
and it doesnt have 3.0 usb & 6.0sata
I am back to square one but it seems like ASUS is my only choice
I dont like the idea of having OB video on a gaming board, maybe it is fine but it just gives me that oil & water feeling if anyone has any other possible boards please let me know

A double thx on that save I was real close to ordering, I owe ya one

Thereis no reason to be concerned with OB video. Just disable it in teh bios, all is well.

You may be better off selling those 8800gt's and getting a single card and a cheaper board anyway..

ok I think i see where your going with this, do you recommend going with a AMD chipset and just for now go with a single radeon card, get a board with Xfire capabilities would allow me to grab another in a few weeks.
is there a chipset you recommend?
I appreciate the help thx

Absolutely...

I dont know much about AMD chipsets. I *think* The 890 is the latest one though. You can pick the board you had already in the first post, sell your 8800gt's for maybe $70 each (not sure about how much they will sell for), and get yourself a 5770, or if you can afford it, a 5850.

Absolutely...

I dont know much about AMD chipsets. I *think* The 890 is the latest one though. You can pick the board you had already in the first post, sell your 8800gt's for maybe $70 each (not sure about how much they will sell for), and get yourself a 5770, or if you can afford it, a 5850.

You are correct, 890 is the newest and greatest AMD chipset.

890FX>890GX>890X>880>870> all older models and lesser models of the 800 series. Honestly, Amd chipsets overclock better, they run much cooler and use less power than Nvidia's and you get x-fire.

ok I been doing a little home work, ( I researching soooo much the last 2 weeks my eyes are bleeding)
ok if I go with the gigabyte 890 gx or fx and stick with the 955, I can get another cheap card for a few weeks, ( they have a gigabyte 1gb 4850 for $99) it will leave enough for a hard drive & ram, and I stay on budget

So if you dont mind would youanswer a few questions for me? I would greatly appreciate it.

1. Xcross is mix-n-match unlike SLI I dont need 2 identical cards?? so a 5850 and 4850 will work fine in cross fire?

2. I had read somewhere about Xfire being able to use ati and 1 nvidia and crossfire would work, is that so or was that some type of hybrid I readabout?

3 Ram, Am I going to notice a diffrence going with 4g of 1600 over 4g 1333 ?
and will those run like should without have to OC ?

O.C is somethign I would do later on down the road when i have sufficient cooling.
but this upgrade would really set me up for later.
I will have the 3.0/6.0 upgrades, and have a X6 motherboard for the X6 drops in price
not to mention have 2 8800gts to passdown to the wifes and Grandkids pc's.

That was a awesome suggestion I thank you very much, if I can get those questions anwsered I but this to bed and order it.

Thank you Very Much

There are driver hacks that can get you SLI on non SLI boards but nothing is guaranteed. I would look around and see what can be done with that if you are up to it. If not, a crossfire board does not mean a single nvidia card cannot work in it. Personally dude i would keep one 8800GT in your rig and save the cash to upgrade to a better gpu later on. The 4850 isnt much of an upgrade over a single 8800GT and definitely doesnt beat SLIed 8800GT's.

Back