• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's about time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris_F

... to start on a new rig. It looks like my next rig is going to be an Intel 3.0c. A mighty hot CPU like that is going to need mighty cold cooling. I'm thinking of making an AC water chillier to cool it. What are the chances of hitting 4GHz+? What I want is a 4GHz+ rig so I hope a water chillier will be enough. If not, maybe a water chillier plus TEC?

Well, I doubt you'd get 4ghz out of that, I think you'd need like -30 water temps to have a chance at it.

And that plus a TEC won't help, because TEC's are really inefficiant at low temps. like worse than normal.

Hmmm... Then it looks like I have to bypass water chilling and go right to direct die. This should be fun. :D ;)

well, there isn't a number you can say.

But for 24/7 use, I'd stay at or below 1.7vcore.

I've heard that a lot of the newer stepping 3.2C's reach 4.3GHz with good cooling. Would it be worth it to get a 3.2C over a 3.0C?

I'd actually say wait a little longer until more 2.8Cs with the M0 stepping come out and are tested by people.

So far the 2.4C with the M0 stepping seem to do very well, but the M0 stepping 2.6C and 2.8C haven't shown up yet, although they definitely will become available soon.

Once the results come out from people overclocking the M0 2.8Cs, you can compare that to what people are getting from D1 stepping 3.0Cs, and then you can make a decision. Getting 3.2 seems a bit needless though.

SL6Z5 should be what the 2.8C with M0 stepping is called.

lol I have 2 freinds with 2.6c's on reg cool water 15c runinng 3.9-4ghz.. Its all about the chip stepping.. also tec's running at -30c wont loose effivcantcy if anything they are closer to being more efficant..

The way I see it is something better is always going to come along. So just get the best thing you can at the moment and upgrade later. I can buy a 3.2C now and sell it later and buy a Prescott or something.

why would you upgrade. I'm looking at your sig and you have a kickass computer. Why would you spend more money on new stuff?

there is an equation to determine how long a chip will last at a given voltage, in terms of % expected life. it's called blacks equation. do a search on it, and you might learn something cool.

Back