• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Iv'e seen the numbers but will I feel the difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Tweaks?

Man the easiest and quickest tweaks....
Disable Swap
Disable Superfetch (turn off via services)
Disable Hibernation
Disable Defrag
Disable Indexing

Done :)

I think there's more to consider than that based on the reading I've done and it means more time sifting through the BS and testing. And God forbid if you still want to run XP, which many still do. Anyway, the purpose of my post is to share my experience with the OP and I have some buyers remorse based on my experience, like it or not.

Tweaks?

Man the easiest and quickest tweaks....
Disable Swap
Disable Superfetch (turn off via services)
Disable Hibernation
Disable Defrag
Disable Indexing

Done :)

Actually, the only one that I would say is absolutely necessary from that list is disabling defrag. I leave indexing on, superfetch on, don't touch the page file. I do disable hibernation and system restore but that's because I want to increase disk space, not because it'll increase performance. If you have XP you do have to align the drive prior to installing the OS, but that's it.

Remember that most "SSD tweaks" came about in the age of JMicron drive when everyone was running around trying to make up for the controller's faults, a behavior sanctioned by OCZ's refusal to admit that the JMicron drives were bad drives and their steadfast claim that all issues were because of the OS. With a good drive like the Intel (and presumably the Vertex), almost none of that is necessary.

Only reason why I disabled swap file was to reduce the potential amount of writes it would do to the drive. Not sure exactly how it writes and deletes information in that file and don't need that to be done constantly at least on the SSD itself especially if its a large file, could dump it to a secondary hdd, but currently I plan not to have one running. Hence why I disabled Superfetch to free up memory by default, even though I know its suppose to do it on its own, with SSD's and the access time its negligible.

Indexing as well, don't need it to be writing to some database on the drive when it can search the drive in no time flat really.

Giving the drives more life in them is what im considering, even though they have a really long life as is. Once I sell them off in the future though I'd like the person that gets it to have a reliable drive for years as well to come.

Admittedly, with the higher performance of an SSD the improvement from Superfetch is small, but freeing memory for its own sake is pointless. Unused memory is wasted memory. If you have both hard drives and SSDs with apps on them, then disabling Superfetch for the SSD and only using it for the hard drive makes sense.

The majority of pagefile access is random reads, which is exactly what you want on an SSD.

deathman, Anand calculated his usage (writes on disk) per day at 7gb per day. In order to fill the rest of his drive, and do it 10,000 times it would take 986 years. There's simply no reason for anyone to change any behavior of the OS due to writes/erases.

In the future with proper TRIM availability I'm guessing some of these functions will be turned off automatically in Win7 regardless.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=6

Back