• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Janus + X58-UD3R + Hypers + 920 + 580 = Globals! LIVE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yep I officially need a nice SB setup to even come close to competing in 3d. I may be able to get 5 globals at the end of 3dmark tests (if I can get them to finish -- that's a completely different issue).

So not a hugely successful day, especially not for benching for about 11 hours (yep, that's how far ~17lbs will go with a small break in the middle...)

I've determined I need a better 775 board, my P5K-Deluxe (first time using it to go cold instead of my UD3R) maxed out around 566FSB, there really weren't too many voltages/etc to play around with so with everything maxed that is what I ended up being left with with on the E8400. Hopefully I will be able to borrow a 600fsb board come this weekend and set some personal bests, that or maybe someone can find how how to get my UD3R over the 550FSB block I seem to be hitting.

3D was pretty much a kick in the :censored:. Even with the 580 and my CPU OCed to around 4.8-5 I couldn't get a score higher (or at least not much higher) than I had with my 920 on air (~4.4 when benching on air) and the 6950(70). That said, I had never used the card before, so it was definitely a wrong way to do a test run with a stock BIOS, etc.

-- On that note, I had one HELL of a time getting my CPU to OC. Using the same settings [spreadsheeted] that I used to get my CPU to 5.286ghz in a previous session I could hardly budge the CPU/Mobo (assuming RAM isn't the issue as I loosened the timings a lot) past [setfsb] 235bclk (previous max 248) after putting in up to 1.65V. After guessing that my mount wasn't good I checked it after the session and it looked fine, a nice even spread on the CPU/etc. So who knows what could have been going on there, maybe just not my day.

My 01 scores were half of what would be point-worthy (hit 70k once, didn't even submit it, no reason). I'm guessing that is truly the limitation of anything but SB when it comes to 3D. Only 1 of my 3dMark scores were worth anything at all, my 06 got me a whopping 2.0 globals (and .1 hardware, whoopie!) and my Heaven score beat out my 6950(70) by about 30 points at the end of the night giving me about 1-2 more globals for that.

So my final tally:
E8400
Wprime32 14.593sec for 16.0 boints - I seem to always do pretty well when I bench with Wprime for whatever reason.
WPrime1024m 479.922sec for 10.7 boints
CPUZ 5097.28 for 9.7 boints
SuperPi1M 9.266sec for 9.9 boints
SuperPi32m 10m 26.890 for 2.8 boints - worthless not in my top 20. I didn't super tweak for it though as I was getting pretty fed up at this point.

GTX580:

3dMark03 111300 for 2.2 Globals
Heaven 1783.1 for 11.2 Globals - (Up from 9.8) so = 1.4Globals gained

Total results: 36.4HW Points gained (minus those in my top 20) netted me about 20HW Points. And 3.6 Globals for a total of 40 Points moving me from 508 in XOL to 430, and from 20 on the team to 18.

I can understand the reasoning for the top20 HW score limitation in Rev4, but boy is it a kick in the :censored: when your lowest score is now ~10boints.

Last edited:
So not a hugely successful day, especially not for benching for about 11 hours (yep, that's how far ~17lbs will go with a small break in the middle...)

I've determined I need a better 775 board, my P5K-Deluxe (first time using it to go cold instead of my UD3R) maxed out around 566FSB, there really weren't too many voltages/etc to play around with so with everything maxed that is what I ended up being left with with on the E8400. Hopefully I will be able to borrow a 600fsb board come this weekend and set some personal bests, that or maybe someone can find how how to get my UD3R over the 550FSB block I seem to be hitting.

3D was pretty much a kick in the :censored:. Even with the 580 and my CPU OCed to around 4.8-5 I couldn't get a score higher (or at least not much higher) than I had with my 920 on air (~4.4 when benching on air) and the 6950(70). That said, I had never used the card before, so it was definitely a wrong way to do a test run with a stock BIOS, etc.

-- On that note, I had one HELL of a time getting my CPU to OC. Using the same settings [spreadsheeted] that I used to get my CPU to 5.286ghz in a previous session I could hardly budge the CPU/Mobo (assuming RAM isn't the issue as I loosened the timings a lot) past [setfsb] 235bclk (previous max 248) after putting in up to 1.65V. After guessing that my mount wasn't good I checked it after the session and it looked fine, a nice even spread on the CPU/etc. So who knows what could have been going on there, maybe just not my day.

My 01 scores were half of what would be point-worthy (hit 70k once, didn't even submit it, no reason). I'm guessing that is truly the limitation of anything but SB when it comes to 3D. Only 1 of my 3dMark scores were worth anything at all, my 06 got me a whopping 2.0 globals (and .1 hardware, whoopie!) and my Heaven score beat out my 6950(70) by about 30 points at the end of the night giving me about 1-2 more globals for that.

So my final tally:
E8400
Wprime32 14.593sec for 16.0 boints - I seem to always do pretty well when I bench with Wprime for whatever reason.
WPrime1024m 479.922sec for 10.7 boints
CPUZ 5097.28 for 9.7 boints
SuperPi1M 9.266sec for 9.9 boints
SuperPi32m 10m 26.890 for 2.8 boints - worthless not in my top 20. I didn't super tweak for it though as I was getting pretty fed up at this point.

GTX580:

3dMark03 111300 for 2.2 Globals
Heaven 1783.1 for 11.2 Globals - (Up from 9.8) so = 1.4Globals gained

Total results: 36.4HW Points gained (minus those in my top 20) netted me about 20HW Points. And 3.6 Globals for a total of 40 Points moving me from 508 in XOL to 430, and from 20 on the team to 18.

I can understand the reasoning for the top20 HW score limitation in Rev4, but boy is it a kick in the :censored: when your lowest score is now ~10boints.

I'm willing to bet that your previous results were so high (235+) because you were in slowmode before. The QPI becomes a real issues when you're pushing the bclk and not in slowmode. That's the real downfall to benching 3d with 1366. You can't be in slowmode, but every single 1366 board clocks the highest in slowmode. :rolleyes:

Looks like you need to sell that SB stuffz and get a 980. ;)

I don't have any SB stuff?

But yeah that is a definite possibility. I tried QPI/VTT up to 1.55v and it wouldn't play along so I basically gave up on it.

I think I will be selling my X58 setup right after the party as well as a bunch of other parts to fund it. Will probably be looking for a pre-binned chip so I don't have to play the guessing game.

I just bought kow's rampage formula which he was told can hit 600. Once I verify that I'll be selling both my other 775 boards.

^^

My P5K Deluxe will do 530fsb with a conroe, but not a wolfedale, and my old Rampage Formula (ddr2) was able to run at 550fsb 24/7, and hit 600fsb, but the gskills I was running werent up for 600mhz.

Back