• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

JC's Chilly1 SS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe Camel

Senior Camel Kicker
EDIT:

if some of the pictures in this thread do NOT show up, try hitting refresh (a few times) this seems to get the pics to load.
sorry for any inconvenience.
:(

---

lets just get the pics out of the way first...

pict04256ss.jpg

pict04286os.jpg

pict04290xg.jpg

my very first contact test mount on a (IHS removed) X2 3800...(i know i know, i used TOOOOO much AS5)

pict04329ih.jpg

i put a "blob" of AS5 on the CPU and mounted a clean head...

pict04332mf.jpg

i think that looks like good contact...(do U?)

well, huh...what more is there to say? :p

ill post updates ASAP

Last edited:
Nice setup JC.. See you also have the GFroster-Xe controller.. Is this the "standard" 1/2HP Chilly1 SS with R507a. Good luck on the scores man..

@proth, wish i knew... i PMed him about some specs on the unit and all chilly said was "specs are as all my units -38 to -44 at idle evap temp.."

so i asked more spacific questions...well see what kind of answers i get :shrug:

still in test mode:
(im going to test-mount about 3-4 times B4 im confident im making GOOD contact EVERY time)

pict04341tr.jpg

Last edited:
2nd test mount... YUCK!!!! NOT good!!

pict04353up.jpg

wouldnt have killed the chip (if run as is), but results would NOT have been (too) good :(

EDIT:
the "top" was nice and tight, but the "bottom" looks a little weak.
time for more pot of coffee (not a typo :eek: )

Last edited:
Is this the "standard" 1/2HP Chilly1 SS with R507a. Good luck on the scores man..
I don't think 1/2HP is anywhere near "standard" in his SS. You can ask for one, but I think the default is 1/4-1/3HP, which is what I have. Unless he started using r507 straight, chilly uses gas blends a LOT to increase capacity and cooling.

i PMed him about some specs on the unit and all chilly said was "specs are as all my units -38 to -44 at idle evap temp.."

so i asked more spacific questions...well see what kind of answers i get
Sounds about right. Good luck on getting a straight answer ;) He sometimes has a very uncanny way of answering a question without answering the question, LOL :) Bottom line is, they are great units and you won't find anything better for anywhere near the price.

Do they sell shims for that proc? Might be a good investment...

@greenmaji , yes, i did...

the pics really make it look worse than it is but the thought has DEFIANTLY crossed my mind...

ok you talked me into it, ill lap it :)

im too tiered (already) to finish this tonight anyway...lapping and then a few more test mounts and im off to bed.

for those who dont know...

back story:

my B-Day :bday: was yesterday and i bought myself a present...can you guess what it was?

this unit was up for sale on XS...brand new, unused, full 1x year warranty, and it was located in Philadelphia PA (a MUCH shorter drive from Cleveland (OH) than Las Vegas ;)) thus i could pick it up (to avoid damage in shipping)...

i drove 630+ miles (round trip) to pick it up today...thats about 11 hours... and i started @ 8am .... im tired :eh?:

PS Amps, the guy who sold it to me, drove 4x hours (round) to shorten my trip... a BIG :thup: to you Amps!!

EDIT:

@Ross

ya, ive "spoken" to him a year or so back about Mach mods... so i kinda knew what i was in for ... the GREAT ones are usually a little...diferant...?

sorry "coffee" makes me chatty :eek:

more EDITs

@ Ross, i learned to mount a HSF (way back when) on an AMD Paly core... im not worried about damage to the core... even my FX-57

Last edited:
Hit the sack Joe... Too many mistakes made when tired. Man the bencher has come alive in you, and by the way:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOE CAMEL

Couldn't find any party hat Icons..

@ proth, thanks :eek:

---

impossible to lap...the hose throws off the "feel" WAAAy too much to do anything other than damage to the surface :(

although from the few passes i did make, i can tell you:
its pretty damn flat :)
and
its REAL soft!!
dont know if there are "grades" of copper (like AU) but if there are, this is "SOFT".

Last edited:
Happy Happy Birthday Joe!! :bday:

And man it was tough to talk you into lapping that evap. :beer:

:eek:WOW:eek: Maxi... i never saw that!!

good thing im "practicing" with this AS5 junk... i only have a few apps of Ceramique left :p

EDIT

the sink cut-out from a granite counter top, my TIM's, and what about 4-5 passes on (new) 600 grit paper leave behind :

pict04382bo.jpg

Last edited:
ok, here is a BIG do NOT do...

when using "round" mounting hardware...do NOT mount the head and then rotate the mobo!!!!!!

the mounting hardware will stay in place but the head can "spin" :eek: and the edges of your (IHS removed) CPU will scrape (gouge) the base :eek: causing (yet to be determined) damage to the actual CPU die...

i didnt have it 100% tight which was a bad thing since it *might* not have turned if TIGHT and it was @ an angle so the leading edge "cut" into the base... :rolleyes:

@ proth and Ross: see, you TOLD me so!!!!!!!! :bang head :shrug:

Uh oh. Man you keep beating that proc up ;) I hope it's OK.

Yeah, Ceramique only for -C cooling. I completely missed the fact that you were test fitting with it, good catch Maxi.

Since I seem to be the only one who hasn't said it yet: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

thanks guys !!

well, as the old saying goes: "stupidity is the mother of desperation" ...

no no no, its: "necessity is the mother of invention" :p

i figured out a way to lap the head (and remove the gouge mark)

sorry, this was the last shot B4 the bats went dead in the camera...but i think you get the idea its better than it was B4

pict04394vo.jpg

edit:
ive mounted 3x more times today and still cant get as good a pattern as my very first one... :-/

Last edited:
Maxi, Thanks for that chart...I know the talk is that AS5 needs time to "set up" and work properly, but my findings are that AS5 performance degrades in a few days even working above 0c, especially under load. Paid special attention to temps on my last set of benches and noticed a 2-3c rise in load temps with the exact water block temp, although idle temps were about the same. I'll foregoe the AS5 is phase ever gets here.

Joe, Really hope no damage to the CPU, If you have time, please let me know unconnected evap head temps or evap temps with minimal load....AND...the rating on the compressor, maybe on the nameplate...??

EDIT: Just saw the -50 on the Gfroster display, so that's probably it

Back