• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

JC's Chilly1 SS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
email the manual. I'll PM you the address.

Joe Camel said:
comes with "10 pin female connector to connect to the serial port header on your motherboard"

You may bo SOL, Your board doesn't have any 10 pin headers for the serial port. It looks like the only thing available is the DB9 connector on the back under the purple parallel port.

Last edited:
proth said:
You may bo SOL, Your board doesn't have any 10 pin headers for the serial port. It looks like the only thing available is the DB9 connector on the back under the purple parallel port.
well,...
the guy who mailed me the manual and program said:
thats perfect, the froster was made to work with the dfi.
so it must plug in somewhere ;)

Joe Camel said:
well,...
the guy who mailed me the manual and program said:

so it must plug in somewhere ;)

Joe, The manual says it works with the DFI Lanparty NF4 which probably has the "conventional" 10 pin mobo headers for the com ports. It looks like the NF3 Ultra board only has the back DB9 comm port and NO 10 pin headers. It's no biggie really, you just need an adapter cable to go from the froster com header to a DB9 connector. You'll never notice another cable amongst the other wires..LOL.. :D.. All you need is TX/RX/GND and maybe CTS/DTR if you need hardware handshaking. Maybe talk to Silencer, he should know what to give you, if not I can whip you up one at work and FEDEX it out tomorrow.

The header by the PCI slot is for AUDIO and there are a few other ones for USB...That's all

EDIT: The one by the AGP slot is the IEEE1394 (Firewire) header

Much better. Yes, thats the header. The corner pin of the header (pin 10) is cut off for polarization and hopefully the froster receptacle has a plug in the corner connector to avoid misplugging it in. Can't tell from the froster manual. I know you can plug them in backwards without damaging anything.

Then see if the program connects, if not you need to find out from sSilencer which com port and com settings the program uses.

EDIT: If he knows how to write good code, he will autodect the baudrate automatically in the firmware of the froster. Cut my teeth on that little 80C51 (Microchip) microprocessor

Last edited:
They make a little USB to serial adapter if the mobo header turns out to be too much a pain in the rear Joe.

Joe, Read all 12 pages of SSilencer's thread and found no mention of setting the serial port so I would assume it's automatic, otherwise questions would have showed up. From what I see you just need to plug the froster into the mobo header with the right polarity, setup the BIOS for AUTO on the com port and then set the froster config menu for COM1. You might want to PM silencer asking him about com settings and setup.

Good luck man...

If you are still having problems, check the port in Device Manager and make sure Windows isn't overriding whatever you are setting in BIOS and/or set whatever parameters you need in Device Manager instead.

proth is right though, if there had been any issues, I am sure they would've been brought up in the thread...maybe it's just a bad cable and not related to the mobo at all?

well, after a chat with both guys who designed/built the controller, we've come to the conclusion that i probably did some damage to it by plugging it into all those wrong ports... :cry: but it should still work, just cant adjust settings :(

ya well like i said B4 "stupidity is the mother of desperation" :bang head
-and-
there are two ways to skin a cat...;)

hows about we shove 220CFM worth of Delta (counter rotating) POWAH down its throat? :attn:

pict04445pl.jpg

she's now idling @ -53C (evap) (X2 @ 300x10 1.6v)
(B4 doing win updates, the "ricky-tweak" heat doesnt happen, so im leaving it un updated (CD has SP4 already)

edit:
O-ya... -30 Die temp :attn:

3015idle1nb.jpg

edit:
please remember that im ducting OUTSIDE (pronounced: COLD) air to this unit (21C on the MOSFETS should give you an idea of my "case"/room temps ;))

Last edited:
Joe Camel said:
ok, here is a BIG do NOT do...

when using "round" mounting hardware...do NOT mount the head and then rotate the mobo!!!!!!

the mounting hardware will stay in place but the head can "spin" :eek: and the edges of your (IHS removed) CPU will scrape (gouge) the base :eek: causing (yet to be determined) damage to the actual CPU die...

i didnt have it 100% tight which was a bad thing since it *might* not have turned if TIGHT and it was @ an angle so the leading edge "cut" into the base... :rolleyes:

@ proth and Ross: see, you TOLD me so!!!!!!!! :bang head :shrug:
OMG... phew?

I was wondering what happened, but just figured it out.

hi joe dont no how i missed this thread looks like fun hehe

whats the temp/volt prog ya using

bazx,
thats MBM5 (motherboard monitor) with the data (settings) from DFI street so its "fairly" accurate for the NF4

LINK to thread on Street

z0n3 ,
although i may be rough on them, ive only killed a few sticks of RAM and 1x 9800pro (and this controller unit :cry: )
(i have VISA bills you have NIGHTMARES about :p)

HR,
its the thrill of turning it all on and seeing if it works. and the fact that if you did it wrong things WILL be ruined... sorta like rock climbing without ropes but putting $ on the line rather than your LIFE.

Last edited:
Joe Camel said:
hows about we shove 220CFM worth of Delta (counter rotating) POWAH down its throat? :attn:

AHHH Helz Yea!!! :attn:

You sure do have the right idea's Joe!! :cool: :D

Joe, I really doubt that the froster board is killed. Most RS232 line drivers have current limiting and can take direct short circuits. Trust me, our customer's abuse the hell out of our boards without taking out the hardware.

You can test the comm for the froster "manually" by using Hyperterminal and opening a direct link to COM1. If you like I'll check with Golden Eagle on port settings and what to expect from the froster protocol when the unit boots. np..be glad to help a fellow ghetto modder.

well, it sounds like you know MUCH more about this than me, so that would be fine.
i can tell you that we tested my mobo by setting a few jumpers on the serial header and opening hyper terminal and i typed and saw letters (this was the test...to see what i typed) after that, they (G.E. and SSilen.) pretty-much agreed that things wernt right on the Froster's side and my header was still working.

im open to any help you want to offer, but no matter what speed the "stock" fan is running it isnt going to come close to the CFMs im already pushing through it with this Delta MONSTER :D

PS the thing was WAY too quiet for my taste so it needed a louder fan anyways :)

Last edited:
Joe, why don't you just pick up a USB->Serial adapter and try a different port/protocol altogether? You should just need to change the COM port # in the software...

Back