• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

JC's Chilly1 SS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
EDIT:

if some of the pictures in this thread do NOT show up, try hitting refresh (a few times) this seems to get the pics to load.
sorry for any inconvenience.
:(

-----------

tried changing com# in program... #1 said "no froster detected" and all others (2-9) just gave error message....

Joe Camel said:
PS the thing was WAY too quiet for my taste so it needed a louder fan anyways :)
I know man. I can barely hear your computer over here in Indiana. Better slap a few more Deltas on there just to be safe. :rolleyes:

Hey Camelman...... when do we get to witness some of that Chilly goodness? Can't you throw at least one benchmark at us just so people like me can sleep in peace? :p

not till i break a record ive already set :p

since i have this X2 in, all i can really do is '06 ... and 7500+ doesn't come easy ;)

plus i seem to be running into an "OVER-cooling" problem....after re doing all the wiring, and making a better duct for the Delta last night, i turned it all on and it went into "thermal overload"...temps kept going up up up...turned off the Delta and temps started dropping :eek:

needless to say...im a bit confused...im thinking that chilly's blended coolant need to be run @ more "normal" temps and the combination of outside air (30F or less) and the Delta are "over-cooling" the condenser and screwing the balance up... :shrug:

anyone got any ideas?

I dunno what the exact temps are, but it sounds to me like the temps are being reduced enough that you are losing pressure and slowing down the refrigerant flow. How cold is the compressor when this happens?

the compressor is ... "warm" to the touch with "full cooling" (Delta and outside air duct)
when run "normal", the compressor is "hot" to the touch.

as for the condenser; "warm" = normal and "cool" when "full cooling" is applied.

i can run P95 for 5 min ("normal" cooling) and it levels off @ about -5C (MBM CPU temp) and then when i turn on the Delta, i can watch the temps start to go up. ive let it go to +10C or so, but i dont really want to "burn" it up, so i stop the test...

the (evap) temps start to go up within seconds of turning on the Delta.

------------

EDIT:
i just PMed chilly1 over on XS with the situation....

EDIT:
yep, he says it IS possible to over cool the condenser.

guess its going to be a matter of finding the right combination of airflow and room temp to MAX this things potential...

(huh... this is the first time i have *ever* had a situation of too MUCH air flow... but leave it to ME to find it :p)

Last edited:
JC bascially what you ran into is if you get the coolant to cold it tends to slush up and not stay between a liquid and gas like it should. This system sounds like Chilly built it do be fairly quiet and work well at normal room temp so it is a higher pressure system that was probably tuned to be right on the edge of his coolant blends capacity.

Joe when you start cranking sub-ambient cooled air onto the condensor your screwing up the highside pressure by dropping it too much, and this is simulating the system as being undercharged.

You cant treat phase cooling like other methods of cooling in terms of ambient temps (unless the system is tuned to that level).

live and learn :)

its just odd (to me) that my MachII never had a hint of problems with this, but i really dont know much @ all about the physics behind phase-change.

Last edited:
nah... the 4x Nidec's sing to me enough to drown out the ringing in my ears (head)

no, im serious, when its dead silent, i hear ringing in my ears. (that drives me INSANE!) and its been that way as long as i can remember. (early childhood)

no, im serious, when its dead silent, i hear ringing in my ears. (that drives me INSANE!) and its been that way as long as i can remember. (early childhood)[/QUOTE]
I know what you mean... I have to have a fan or something on in the room to help me sleep. I usually sleep better in the summer when I have a fan sound in the background, like in my window. I sleep like a baby that way.

It's not so much RINGING, but it's discomfort for me to sleep in dead silence. I can SOMEWHAT relate, pal. :)

greenmaji said:
Joe.. how about trying to run it without the cold air duct (just the delta)
as much as i like sound, ill take the duct over the Delta ;) (IF i get the same temps)

i think i burnt myself out on this project a little...and the fact that im not seeing any (major) improvements in scores/OC's isnt exactly inspiring me.

ill probably swap in the FX this weekend and see how things work out with that.

the fact that i need to tear the entire setup down to swap chips is holding me back a little :(

actually, im more interested in modding the Mach to my x1900 (should see a decent increase in OC there) so i might work on that this weekend instead. :shrug:

----------

BTW for those who dont frequent the FOLDing section... i need to keep some of my ducting going to keep my FOLDing farm nice and cool...

Pic of old "MachII" rig x1900 on AIR with FOLDing farm...

pict03685op.jpg

2x (OCed) 630's and 1x 840 @ 100% 24/7 crank out a lot of heat.

Last edited:
What do you do in the summer.? A/C units can't keep it as cool as mother nature.?
Did you ever think of moving to Antartica, for the sake of science of course.

It sucks, getting new equipment and getting psyched, then finding out the results aren't as expected. Not to worry there Rich, you have one helluva setup, and results to prove it!!

central air AND an AC unit in that basement window.

(spring and fall are a real PITA though since its not uncommon to have too cold night temps and the AC unit freezes-up...nothing like coming downstairs to find 80F room temps and 3 PC's locked up due to overheating)

although i have NOT gone through a summer with this exact setup yet...i might need to kill off 1 or more FOLDing rig... :(

normally, my benching gets cut to a minimum during the summer for just the reason you point out.

hummmm, guess its time to get into DI cooling :rolleyes:

PS NE Ohio is about as far North as i want to go...infact the wife wants to move to Florida :bang head (aint gona happen)

EDIT:
ok i take that back, Amsterdam is a little further North than Cleveland ;)

Last edited:
Back