• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

JC's Chilly1 SS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
that -50 (first post) was the lowest it would go with NO load... actually, it sits more @ -49 but i took the pic when it hit 50 ;)

as soon as chilly "answers" my question, ill be sure to post some stats...(you will have PM soon)

Before ya go anymore crazy on that evap joe, Take a look at the chip itself. I have came across a couple that had crowns on them that made mounting a bear. I had the same types of TIM paterns as your posting, so it wouldnt hurt to check the core with a flat razor blade to see if that is whats causing the mounting issue.

Eventualy i ended up lapping the core on it, but dont recomend doing so. As those little caps can pop off swiftly. Luckily i didnt kill my chip, but was close.

counted down and turned off... :(

doing a little re-wiring....

ok that worked... its "cooling down"...

in BIOS...so the chip still works...

funk....this X2 (on win2k) has a heat problem... it runs like its got the Ricky-tweak...ie FULL LOAD temps even when idle (im still working on that problem)
but
after leaving BIOS (-12C) and loading into windows, the chip was @ +30 by the time MBM loaded and the evap was @ -5...(-40 in BIOS)

... shutdown

huh....

Last edited:
Mine only ran -46C open air out of the box. -5C on the evap after boot???

I know the XE controller is programmable, but I don't know what the minimum wait time is on it after shutdown for equalization. It really does take close to 4-5 min. for the pressures to equalize after shut down on mine though. 4-5 min. wait at every reboot can be very annoying when OCing or benching (lots of reboots), so here's the trick: if you have a spare PSU, jumper the ATX (green/black wires) so it runs without being plugged in the mobo and plug that molex from the SS into that PSU and leave the PSU on. That molex on the SS is so the controller can monitor the 5V rail and that's how it knows when to turn off. If you don't have a spare PSU, 3xAA batteries (4.5V) will work for the trick as well :)

ahhhh thats a little better (took a 3+ hour nap)

ya Ross, thats exactly what i did when i said "re-wire" in above post/edit; "rig it" with a 2nd PSU...

im going to try to run @ closer to stock volts (was running 1.6 Vcore) to see if things will work with a lower load...

needless to say im a little disappointed right now (but not sure in what yet... me or the unit...:()

I don't know how many watts that proc is spitting out at your OC/Vc, but something isn't adding up. The only time the evap would show -5C is if it wasn't holding temps *at all*...and then it would fly right by, not stay there.

The gas/oil could have been moved around if the box was flipped around during shipping to Ampz and it might take some running to clear it up? I don't know, off load temps look right on the $$, so I am not sure.

Keep us posted...

ok worked my way from 1.5V back up to my 1.6v and things look MUCH better...

have NO idea W.T.H. went on B4 but....thing seem OK now

@ settings that the MachII would have the CPU @ +5 to +8 is now sitting @ -5

anyone know how to access the fan controller on this?
i plug t into my USB port, but i cant access anything (nothing installs)

EDIT NM i got it installing...

2nd edit: ok it seems installed but what where do i access it?

Last edited:
Isn't it just a Windows executable? Maybe in ControlPanel? :) Take look in the folder it installed to and see what's there. I have a Value, so I've never used it :( If you can't figure it out, search on XS or PM Golden_Eagle over there.

X2's run very hot...if that's a 1/4-1/3hp, -5 is no surprise at all for core temps. ;)

I've used nothing but Ceramique since I built my first computer, because even then, I knew eventually I'd go subzero sooner or later. :p

Congrats on the new unit, can't wait to see how you do 100% phase change cooled. :D

EDIT:

if some of the pictures in this thread do NOT show up, try hitting refresh (a few times) this seems to get the pics to load.
sorry for any inconvenience.
:(

----------

ya this X2 is a freaking MONSTER when it comes to "BTUs"...
but i knew that from the MachII temps already.

its a real good sign that im getting 5-10C lower temps than the MachII :)

and thats with the fan on low...ive got a PM on XS to get more info on the controller...

for the time being, ive propped a 92mm Nado in front of the condenser :p

pict04412te.jpg

pict04424yn.jpg

a face only a mother could love ;)
(but its running 06 @ 333x10 with stock card...damn locked on last test...)

Last edited:
sorry joe.. I knew the foster was serial only (I have read the Foster thread quite a few times) If I new you needed to know I would have filled you in.. :(

I'll check out the DFI manual and maybe see something.

Is the port enabled in the BIOS.?
Maybe the com settings, Baud, parity, etc... need to match the software.?

Just pullin; straws here

Serial port is right under the parallel port. It's the turquoise colered one.

How about the serial cable, did it come with the unit... Maybe a DTE-DCE mismatch?

EDIT: If you know the COM port the software uses, you can go into the BIOS/Onboard Devices and set for 3F8/IRQ4 for COM1, or 2F8/IRQ3 for COM2....Setting to AUTO should assign it to COM1.

Plug the cable in, set the port speed, baud, etc, to match the froster, if needed, and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Back