• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Just a quick question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David54

Registered
I currently have a Failing Z77 Oc Formula motherboard. ASRock
3770 k CPU
Samsung 830 SSD
Corsair AX 850 PSU.

The Board is going to be RMA to ASRock this week.
I have purchased a MSI Z77A GD65.
I would like to put this board in place while waiting for the ASRock
to be returned. Could I swap the boards, install new drivers for the new board
without installing windows 7 again.
it would only be temporary.
then when my new board arrives
put it back in then repeat the process?
just dont want to wipe the ssd that many times if I dont Have to.

I don't think you can do that. Most likely it would cause some problems. What you can do, is save an image of your SSD. Then reinstall for you MSI board and when you get your Asrock back you should be able to reuse the image / clone. So you'd save at least one reinstall.

I swap out boards all the time, reload drivers but windows 7 will not be genuine it will ask you re-register windows. You have 30 days, but if you get your other board back before the 30 days just wait until then and re-register. I just did it you might have to call the 1-800 number to do so.

I think he was concerned about reinstalling windows due to driver incompabilities, which are likely to occur I think. Not about reactivating. But as you stated it is very simple, I had to call the hotline once, too. They're pretty fast and don't bother you too much, even when you request a new key :)

Installed my new board today.I didn't get the original board that I wanted.
I ended up with a MSI Z77 MPower instead.
The swap went pretty good. More time with the hardware side than the software side.
I uninstalled all the motherboard drivers that I could before removal then installed the new drivers.Activation nag but hopefully for only a couple of weeks.
Thank again to all for the input.

Back