• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just about time to upgrade.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Timsierramist

Registered
I have a pretty decent PC, for my 1,200 budget when I built it 2 years ago. But I find it may be time for a few light upgrades, and by light upgrades I mean replace half of the system with new stuff in a shiny new case.

My first computer build had my scratching my head a bit, but I figured it out and I learned a lot. I am confident I can build a system with few issues this time around as well.

One thing that has always confused me is the CPU with all that GHZ and other stats associated with it.

Oh, my question, sorry, I kinda ramble on a bit when it comes to these geek things. What is the latest and greatest AMD CPU that I should replace my 955 with? I have it overclocked to almost 4.0 GHZ, and i'd be happy to even push that barrier with another CPU, but either way, I just want to see if I can get a CPU that's a bit faster. I realize this is a pretty broad comment, maybe even naive to be a true geek, but my understanding of CPU's isn't as high as I'd like it yet.

I currently have an AMD 955 Black edition CPU. I plan on replacing the motherboard and the CPU, and want to know what is AMD's latest and greatest CPU that I can overclock to the max?

Basically, I don't want to shell out the dough for a new CPU if I can't get any more juice out of it compared to my current CPU.

There has been more than a few times I have felt my CPU was holding me back a bit.

My next project includes adding/replacing:
-New extra large PC Case
-Motherboard
-CPU
-Adding a third Radeon 6970 to save money from buying a whole new set
-A new Hard Drive to keep my growing movie/music collection
-Water Cooling for the CPU
-A cheap, but still geeky mini A/C for inside my PC from Amazon for like $50 (the low price scares me too, but i'm adventerous).
-Probably some other stuff i'm forgetting...
(remember, i'm not building a brand new PC, i'm combining some parts to save cash).

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Atm, idt anything AMD has would be considered better than what your rocking now. However, their new piledriver based cpus are supposed to be released at the end of this month (around the 23rd if you believe the different sites) i would wait and see how those turn out before purchasing. Since you are looking to replace both cpu and mb, once some solid reviews and benches hit, you can decide if you want to stay amd or give Intel a try.

Agreed. You are rocking AMDs top of the line right now, as sad as that is to say. Its either what and see what piledriver does or switch to Intels 1155 Sandy/Ivy Bridge series.

No way, AMD for life, holmes......or not.

Maybe I will try Intel. It's just so expensive, but maybe it will be well worth the price.

One of the reviews on Amazon on the latest AMD X8 cores stated he could get his CPU clocked to 5.0 GHZ? That's pretty intense.

If I do go Intel, what type of speed performance would I be looking at. I don't want to spend $1,000 on a CPU, not like I have much choice anyways. I would want the best CPU under $300.00 I'd say.

If you went intel, an unlocked i5 would run about $220 for the 2500k and for $10 more you could go with the ivy bridge 3570k. The non K versions run a bit cheaper, but dont overclock as well if barely at all iirc.

The new AMD cpus are slated to start around $250 i think for the flagship 8350, but I have a feeling those will come down a few weeks after release.

I would not intend to be an early adopter. You can only get the flagship processor by design. AMD makes the most that they can by not shipping the 6 and 4 core processors at first. This makes you get an 8 core whether you need it or not. Then the online sellers get another 10% gouge fee for the privilege of being one of the first in line to buy.

I would not intend to be an early adopter. You can only get the flagship processor by design. AMD makes the most that they can by not shipping the 6 and 4 core processors at first. This makes you get an 8 core whether you need it or not. Then the online sellers get another 10% gouge fee for the privilege of being one of the first in line to buy.

Agreed, I'd wait a few weeks and see how everything pans out and then make a decision once all the options are out.

+1 Rgone.
the 955 is one of the best amd cpu's.
I would keep it even if you "upgrade" because it might prove to be a down grade.

No way, AMD for life, holmes......or not.

Maybe I will try Intel. It's just so expensive, but maybe it will be well worth the price.

One of the reviews on Amazon on the latest AMD X8 cores stated he could get his CPU clocked to 5.0 GHZ? That's pretty intense.

If I do go Intel, what type of speed performance would I be looking at. I don't want to spend $1,000 on a CPU, not like I have much choice anyways. I would want the best CPU under $300.00 I'd say.

You sound like I did, I had a Phenom II 965BE, I had a nice PC but had this feeling I was missing out or wanted something more.

If you do the research you will find that you current CPU is gonna keep pace with any new AMD CPU's. You would be darn near making a lateral move (to get an FX chip) at this point when you look at the benchies etc and see what AMD has vs what you got right now. So I was left with either going Intel or keeping what I got.

I did both, I kept my AMD setup pretty much intact and got the Intel I5-3570 a new motherboard and a fistful of memory. The Intel I5-3570 is like 229. dollars and it blows my 965 away. I absolutely love it. Im so glad I did it.

With zero effort this thing clocked from 3.4 to 4.5 and the temps are just fine. I find myself clock watching at work so I can get home and mess with my computer again.

Don't be afraid of the light :D

And I still will support AMD to, What I find myself wanting right now is one of the new FM2 APU chips, I want put one of those together with a discreet graphics card to do the hybrid X-fire and make a little budget game machine. Im liking these all in one chips and I want to see what they can do for myself. I like them.

Last edited:
Back