• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just installed new hsf

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Airbornederekc

I just finished installing my new Swiftech mcx 478-v. it was pretty easy to install. had to do some modifications to get the 120mm delta fan to fit. the bracket i got was the clear acrylic 120 to 92 mm fan adapter. withe some use of my leatherman and my drill i made some bigger holes to fit a screw driver through and all was well.

after about 15 mins of it running my idle temps are at 42c - 44c which i believe is a little high for this new hsf. i used some as3 i had laying around. im hoping that its just because the as3 hasnt settled yet but still any extra thoughts might help thanks

hs is mounted witht he brackets that came with it and it seems well seated. and yes i applied a thin layer of as3 across the chip and mounted the hs right on top of it. my ambient case temp is about 28c

most fan adapters aren't that great - they restrict airflow a lot because they aren't very tall - they constrict very quickly - and airflow hates that. You get lots of back pressure and not much air moving.

the wesson

so ya think i should hollow out an old 120mm and then put the empty one and the good one together and then mount it to the adapter?

Airbornederekc said:
so ya think i should hollow out an old 120mm and then put the empty one and the good one together and then mount it to the adapter?

Dunno if that would make it better. You need a gently sloping cone - that would be ideal. Think of a 5 degree slant, that's what you're shooting for ideally. You feel like making one? Cardboard? Plexiglas?

Maybe try some 92mm or 80mm fan instead?

Might stick the 120 mm in the side of your case w a hole, that way you'll have room to slope the duct more gently to the CPU and you'll also be getting outside air. NB try it with a sheet of cardboard first before cutting holes in your case door, which is hard to reverse.

the wesson

mine idles at 31°c...

mine did run hot when i first put mine on. so i remounted the hs

but im not sure how u applied the thermal paste. but, all u should do is put a pea sized amount on the center of the cpu then put the hs on top

as soon as my dremel tool gets here i prolly remove and re mount heatsink i gotta take everythin out anyways to do my mods. gonna remove fan grills and ****

yeah it might just be the ambient. I'm got a zalman settling on AS5, and it has the same Delta fan blowing right on it and I stay around 30C case load, 50C cpu load, around 40 cpu idle. Temps are much lower when it isn't so hot and humid out and when my case can get down to 25...

By the way I have tried that swiftech and I plan on getting that thermalright sp-94. I'll try to post some results if i find out anything interesting...

while folding my temps are at 56.5 so im assuming thats bad for this hsf. maby i should re mount now. my puter locks up every now and then too. think its overheating

Dont forget, you have an Abit Board while White Haze has an Asus Board...

Thou not necessarily correct for all motherboards "some" Abit Boards report temps higher, as much as 10°C higher actually, a safety margin that Abit allowed and added into the board. After a few enquiries/complaints they said they were going to rectify it with a Bios update. You could try updating to the latest Bios if you havent done so already.
"Some" Asus boards are known to report upto 3°-4°C lower.

ok i checked it out and ya no change. so i bet i mounted it wrong. prolly too much as3. how do u guys put as3 on there. put a drop in middle od chip and spread it out with a razor or what

put a sandwich bag on your finger and spread it like that, and yeah just a little bit of as3 depending on how rough the heatsink and core is.

all u should do is put a pea sized amount on the center of the cpu then put the hs on top(it will spead it out)

Airbornederekc said:
ok i checked it out and ya no change. so i bet i mounted it wrong. prolly too much as3. how do u guys put as3 on there. put a drop in middle od chip and spread it out with a razor or what
Well its a possibility they didnt rectify it with a bios upgrade they just said they were looking in to it i read from a guy who actually emailed Abit about his high temps. So it could still be wrong so if you dont get any improvement no matter what you do put it down to that.
A test was done on another site with an external probe on an Abit board and it confirmed it did report it 10°C higher. Dont quote me on this but i think the actual board they tested was the IC7 same as yours.

You may find this interesting anyway...
http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?threadid=11496

EDIT: Oh and heres the test i was on about, it was an IC7...
http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1845&highlight=abit+ic7

well i took the heatsink off cleaned it lapped it and then i cleaned the cpu. reapplied a smal small amount of as3 just enough to cover all the surface area.
my dremel arrived today so i also removed the fan grills from the front and back of my puter. so i know i have good airflow ambient temp is 26c.
however my cpu temp is still being reported as 42c idle. im not sure what i could have done wrong this time. im hoping its the abit mobo reporting temps wrong. it is interesting that article u posted. damn abit

Back