• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just made an order for my First W/C setup need opinions and advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WrexYou

Registered
After frustration with my H100i dying multiple times I have decided to go with a full loop. Not going to W/C the video cards as they are only 660ti's and I plan on upgrading in the next few years.

I have read beginners guides and such but nothing beats experience.

Here's the pic of the build currently disregard the fan cables ran throughout the case I undid the cable management on them trying to diagnose the H100i issues.

14nd2j9.jpg

I will get another 240mm rad for the Video Cards once I upgrade the setup.

Here is the order I placed:
Products
2 x Bitspower G 1/4" Matte Black 45 Degree IG 1/4" Adapter - Black Matte Finish $15.98
1 x Swiftech MCP655™ Series 12 VDC Water Pumps - With Speed Control $76.95
6 x Nozzle Single, *Black* Compression [13mm ID, 19mm OD] $40.44
1 x *** HOT *** Koolance CPU-380I Water Block (Intel Processor)
- Nozzles: No Nozzles $74.95
1 x Phobya Balancer 150 Matte Black $30.95
1 x XSPC FLX Premium Grade PVC Tubing
- 1/2" ID (3/4"OD) - 2 Meter (6.5 Feet) Retail Pack - White $16.49
1 x *** NEW *** XSPC AX360 Triple-Fan Radiator - White
- Fitting Size: No Fittings $99.95
Sub-Total: $355.71
FedEx (Fedex Ground (4 days)): $11.32
Discount Coupons: OCN55 : -$19.56
Total: $347.47

Planning on mounting the Radiator up front, I didn't order any fans because I am not sure I can fit SP120's in push pull on an AIR 540. I may only do Push but I am going to try to find some fairly low profile fans that will fit under the front fan cover. Hoping I can find space in the front chamber (Air540) for the RES, I am planning on putting the pump on the backside of the AIR540 at the bottom of the case.

I may need to get some more angled fittings but I am going to plan out the loop with the equipment I have ordered.

My main concern is that the equipment I have purchased is okay and there are no major flaws. I did as much research as I could but I gotta get this PC up and running ASAP for work. I should still be able to change my order until tomorrow should I of made any fatal mistakes.

Current PC Specs:
Intel Core i7 3770k 4.5Ghz @ 1.23v (Corsair H100i Watercooler)
Asus Z77 Sabertooth Motherboard
8GB Samsung "Magic Ram" overclocked to 2133mhz (10-10-10-27) @1.42v
2 Asus Nvidia GTX 660Ti's Overclocked in SLI
Samsung 256GB Pro SSD + 32GB SSD for Hackintosh Partition.
1TB Seagate 7200RPM ST1000DM003 for Storage
Seasonic 750w PSU
Corsair Air 540
Windows 8 Professional + OSX Mavericks

Last edited:
Welcome to OCFs!

You have more than enough to cool that CPU only loop with the 360 rad. Pump is fine and your selection of CPU block as well. I would change the tubing to Primochill Advanced LRT, white since its your preference and since the front fans are 140mm would also purchase just 3 fans for push for the front radiator. I believe you're able to use 25mm fans with the radiator chosen but I would just do some measurements to just be sure.

What fluids will you be using and biocide? Have you figured out the way you want to route and have a drainage for the loop? Where are you looking to position the reservoir? Just remember to have the reservoir higher than the pump but as I can see you will be taking care of that since the pump will be at the bottom back side of the case, assuming you will have the reservoir higher than that level.

Other than that it looks good to me.

I went ahead and took your advice on switching out the tubing for Primochill Advanced.

I am completely undecided on where I am going to put the RES, I think I am going to have to receive the parts to make decisions on where things are going to go. I am not a planning type, I ordered what I know I can make fit, I'll have to visually eyeball what size everything is in order to make it fit.

I was looking for some advice on Biocide, I am planning on running distilled water to get the longest life out of my components. Should I run a kill coil and biocide or do people tend to do one or the other?

Where should I place the drainage loop, I believe the pump will be the lowest part of my loop as it will be on the back side of the case on the floor.

Thank you for your kind advice. I am very excited to do my first loop. The most frustrating part at this point is decided on what to do with my graphics cards.

EK makes a cooler for 660ti's with the ASUS cooler but it's a pretty penny at $120/ea.
The graphics cards are fine for me currently, I am running BF4 maxed out with no noticeable lag which makes me thing I could sneak a couple extra years out of the 660Ti's which at that point might make since to get the coolers for them, but I am still so on the fence. I should probably just wait until my next upgrade.

I went ahead and took your advice on switching out the tubing for Primochill Advanced.

I am completely undecided on where I am going to put the RES, I think I am going to have to receive the parts to make decisions on where things are going to go. I am not a planning type, I ordered what I know I can make fit, I'll have to visually eyeball what size everything is in order to make it fit.

I was looking for some advice on Biocide, I am planning on running distilled water to get the longest life out of my components. Should I run a kill coil and biocide or do people tend to do one or the other?

Where should I place the drainage loop, I believe the pump will be the lowest part of my loop as it will be on the back side of the case on the floor.

Thank you for your kind advice. I am very excited to do my first loop. The most frustrating part at this point is decided on what to do with my graphics cards.

EK makes a cooler for 660ti's with the ASUS cooler but it's a pretty penny at $120/ea.
The graphics cards are fine for me currently, I am running BF4 maxed out with no noticeable lag which makes me thing I could sneak a couple extra years out of the 660Ti's which at that point might make since to get the coolers for them, but I am still so on the fence. I should probably just wait until my next upgrade.

The tubing you picked is a good choice.

I would look around to see any other projects with this case to see where the reservoirs and pumps were placed as well as the drainage. If anything also look at the MCP-35x since its more compact than the MCP-655 pumps. Depending how much room you have between the rad/fans in the front and the GPU, you might be able to sneak in a Cylinder reservoir between them or just above.

I wouldn't cool your GPUs since the added cost is not worth it for a low line. If they were their premium GPU's than I would. I would just wait and save up for Maxwell and slap a hydro copper in there. ;)

Last edited:
Ordered 6 SP120's, going to try for push pull if it doesn't work I'll use them for the 2nd rad when I upgrade my GFX cards. Your last message is showing blank with just a quote.

Ordered 6 SP120's, going to try for push pull if it doesn't work I'll use them for the 2nd rad when I upgrade my GFX cards. Your last message is showing blank with just a quote.

Yeah, sorry about that. Just finished updating my rig and I.E. 11 again was giving me problems. I luckily somehow copied my message and reposted it on Google chrome.

Ugh IE11... As an IT Consultant I have been having so many problems with people and IE11. I thought 10 was terrible until 11 came out. I don't know how Microsoft could make it any worse. Thanks for all your advice, looking forward to getting it all in so I can test fit stuff.

Nice Subaru :)

Drainage - I am a believer that you don't really need a drain. My method was (I say was because my loop has been down for a while now) to unmount the CPU block (since TIM is cheap) and get it clear of the board and in a bucket, then pop the tubing off one end, let it drain some, then do the other side, and let it drain. Once you've got that you've got a couple of options, you can start taking other stuff out and let the water run out as you do it, or you can blow into the tubing and force a bunch of the water out the other end. I preferred the latter, since it got most of the water out of just about everything.

Also, draining your loop is pretty infrequent, once every 6mos or so, so it was never a huge concern of mine.

Just some food for thought.

Thanks I love the Subaru. It's gonna be mad at me as the modding budget for the car has been shifted to the PC.

Wasted some more money lol. I am going to install the top rad so I do not have to do it later when I upgrade to hydro copper cards also so I can make sure they will fit together. Read a similar build it appears I'll loose the top pull fan in push pull on the 360 but should be able to make it work otherwise. Going to have to get creative. Ordered some PT Nuke as well as well as sleeved extensions in white for all the visible cables.

Order Date: Tuesday 17 December, 2013
Products
1 x *** NEW *** XSPC AX240 Dual-Fan Radiator - White
- Fitting Size: No Fittings $79.95
3 x Bitspower G 1/4" Matte Black Rotary 90 Degree IG 1/4" Adapter $32.85
1 x Danger Den Premium Tube Cutter $9.95
1 x Koolance Drain Valve - Brass $10.99
2 x Bitspower Single Luxury Tube Clamp LTC4 For Tube OD 3/8in. - Black $9.90 (Already e-mailed them as I ordered the wrong size)
4 x *** NEW *** PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing - 1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD - Elegant White $11.00
4 x Nozzle Single, *Black* Compression [13mm ID, 19mm OD] $26.96
Sub-Total: $181.60
FedEx (Fedex Ground (4 days)): $9.87
Discount Coupons: OCN55 : -$9.99
Shipping Insurance declined: $0.00
Total: $181.48

Nice. Hope you make a build log or at least show us some pictures when all is said and done. :salute:

Will look into doing a build log, would be a good idea. I couldn't find anybody whom was trying to do what I am doing with the AX series rads. I only wish I could afford some new video cards atm to really finish it off.

Last edited:
Here is what she looks like currently. I ordered a 780Ti and am currently testing it in the woman's PC until I am happy with it. Than I am installing the EK Waterblock and backplate I got for it than I can complete the loop.
27yy3y8.jpg
2ewegr4.jpg
tat2qs.jpg

Very happy with how it's turned out so far, a little nervous of taking a 700$ graphics card into surgery but it has to happen.

Here is what she looks like currently. I ordered a 780Ti and am currently testing it in the woman's PC until I am happy with it. Than I am installing the EK Waterblock and backplate I got for it than I can complete the loop.
27yy3y8.jpg
2ewegr4.jpg
tat2qs.jpg

Very happy with how it's turned out so far, a little nervous of taking a 700$ graphics card into surgery but it has to happen.
Hi,
Don't sweat it, everyone has a first time. Just take your time and plan it out. It really isn't very hard. Once you do one or three it's a breeze.

Feeling good, got the fan directions fixed, going to buy distilled water today. Trying to decide whether I want to fill it now with PT Nuke - Cu or wait until my order for PT Nuke - PHN arrives. I didn't realize PT Nuke PHN was made for distilled water.

I rinsed out the radiators as best I could but neglected to do the CPU block and some of the tubing. I am thinking of flushing the fluid in a couple weeks to help clear out anything I may of missed from not rinsing.

Hoping for the best of luck with the Bitspower *45 Rotaries I ordered, there seem to be lots of people having issues with them leaking which is a little scary.

:thup:

Glad I could catch it. Sweet looking rig by the way, the white on black is beautiful.

Thank you! Trying to find a bad *** stormtrooper figurine with a decent size base to stick in the business side. Can't seem to locate anything I am particular to though.

Got the GPU block installed, pretty simple actually, ek gives great instructions. Leak testing the loop now than I'll close it all up and take some pics. No leaks so far woohoo!

Back