• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just ordered my first SSD. What do you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It was not a bad purchase but there are better alternatives there. The 840 isn't the famous, fast, Samsung 840 Pro. It is the cheaper but slower sibling. I would have bought a m4 or the Pro, but you'll still get blazing fast boots and loading times.

Your read speeds will be awesome, but the write speeds will just be alright.

That being said, Samsung is supposed to be incredibly reliable.

@ATMINSIDE, that was the main reason I went with this drive. The positive reviews beat out the negative ones at about 100 to 1. I don't really care about write times, as once I have the OS and games I play most on it, I don't forsee me writing to it hardly ever.

@txus.palacios, I was seriously considering the Pro, but my limit was $100, imposed by the woman, who takes care of finances. You see my problem ;). I figured just about anything would beat my Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB, and wasn't really worried about write times, or the slightly slower read times.

It will destroy a platter drive. And games do write to drives, but you will most definitely see a vast improvement.

Actually you won't notice the speeds unless you bench them. Just don't let the people blame you for your purchase. It is an SSD. It is fast. That's all you need :)

BTW: Everything is incredibly reliable until it breaks. Back up everything important.

I should clear that up, you'll see an improvement in load times, but most likely you won't see any change in fps.

Why 120GB not 240? You won't be able to install many games in it. It's like 4 games and win7, and that's it. BTW Samsung has slow write times.
IMO, ocz or corsair would be a better choice.
But ocz has some reliability issues, (value drives)
Corsair has a bit slower times, then ocz (but much faster write, then samsung) compared in the same class, but it's better choice in a long time run, and real world scenarios.
But it's just my poorly educated opinion.

He said 100 dollar limit, so that's why no 240GB.

I've got 11 games on my 120GB, with 28GB free. No OS, but that's enough room for Win7.

Oh ok, missread that.
With all of you guys respect, I'll just say my honest opinion.
I think, that buying SSD just for the games, is just a waste of money. Becouse you get only 10 sec. of game loading time benefit, and lets face it, how often times games are loading? Once a 30 min at average.
IMO all the point of SSD is to load all the programs, OS, and games in it. To reduce work time and PC noise, (whille forcing storage drive to shut down then idling).
Well, then about space, I'v got 240Gb, and has installed only win7, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, Metro 2033 and GTA4, no other soft. And allready I'v used 113GB of space.
Well I will be installing a bunch more of programs in it.
The only 2 points why I got SSD, becouse I do work with large print files, and to write 3GB of tiff file in HDD is pain in the butt. You do get notice a speed bump in loading games, or windows, but it's not like they load in a blink of an eye.
Sorry for trolling :)

Going from ~50 seconds to ~10 seconds is pretty much a "blink of an eye" in my book. And as far as games writing to disk, I'm going to try and put all of my personal folders on my 1TB drive, and link them. That way, I can hopefully avoid writing to the SSD, because of it's size. I want to try and limit any writing to installation. I know that is impossible, but if I try to minimize it, I'll need to wipe it and start fresh less often.

Going from ~50 seconds to ~10 seconds is pretty much a "blink of an eye" in my book. And as far as games writing to disk, I'm going to try and put all of my personal folders on my 1TB drive, and link them. That way, I can hopefully avoid writing to the SSD, because of it's size. I want to try and limit any writing to installation. I know that is impossible, but if I try to minimize it, I'll need to wipe it and start fresh less often.

What I did (when mine was my OS drive) was installed programs that didn't need the SSD speed to a platter, while installing games and CAD stuff to the SSD. Then, I set download locations, and documents/music on the platter and worked all those off there.

Saves space :)

So, should I probably just do a fresh install of Windows, or will the migration software that the drive comes with be sufficient?

Do a fresh install. Win7/8 will detect and properly configure themselves for the SSD. The SSD itself will just scream compared to a platter based drive. While it is NOT the fastest SSD it's the read speed that counts when loading programs. I picked one up 2 months ago and I was stunned at the speed it has. Now you will not see more FPS or anything like that but you will load anything that is on the SSD almost immediately. Boot times will be so very fast. This system boots so quickly I dont even get to hear the startup sound lol. I think you made a smart buy as you didnt spend a huge amount of cash on the SSD and yet you still get pretty speedy(READ) performance. You picked up a solid drive IMHO. Let us know how you like it once you have it up and running. . Enjoy

Z

PS:: a 3 yr warranty isn't bad either.

I have the 840 as well, not the pro version. It was also my first SSD and i can say i am happy with it, the write speeds aren't exponential, but the read speeds are amazing, you'll be pleased.

I would of gone with a higher capacity though.

@txus.palacios, I was seriously considering the Pro, but my limit was $100, imposed by the woman, who takes care of finances. You see my problem ;).

Ah. Now it makes sense. We call that "SWIMBO", meaning "she who must be obeyed".

Just to set you at ease, I went from a 10,000 RPM HDD to an early 128gb Crucial 300 series SSD, very "slow" by today's standards. Boot and loading times were of course VASTLY improved. Feeling the power, I then moved up to a 256gb 840 pro, hoping for another significant performance bump. To my surprise, my boot time was only about 1sec faster, and I couldn't notice the difference in load times. Enjoy the Samsung, you got great bang for the buck.

Back