• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just rebuilt my laptop battery!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have bought them from a shop near my place. There is no date markings on the battery :(

hmm, I have no idea what to tell you then. I'd assume the circuit board is ok since it did work before & I doubt you killed it by replacing the cells. I just know that the charge light blinked on my laptop, which is very similar to yours, when the cells were bad. It wouldn't charge at all and displayed a charge level of 0% before I replaced the cells. If any scenario would require a circuit board reset, I would think it would be mine. You're sure everything is wired ok and nothing is shorting? Maybe reinstall the old cells and see if it starts charging again? In that case, you'll know the new cells are bad.

I will say this - over 5 years old and the cells are generally unusable, so if they were sitting around for while, which is a possibilty at a local shop, then they could be bad. The battery I bought on ebay was marked as being manufactured august of 2006 and it works great. My laptop reports its capacity as 3980 mAh compared to its rated 4400 mAh.

Do you reckon that because of "newer technology" . The PCB might not be allowing me to "replace" the battery ?

doubt it, batteries are pretty dumb. You should be able to install very high capacity cells without a problem, but I suppose it might not like your new cells for whatever reason.

I was wondering if you discharged all the cells in your M300 battery before hooking them back to the PCB? Also whats your run time on the 8 cell? I also have a M300 500Mhz model. I personaly brought my battery back to life by just replaceing one bad cell.

MAReames82 said:
I was wondering if you discharged all the cells in your M300 battery before hooking them back to the PCB? Also whats your run time on the 8 cell? I also have a M300 500Mhz model. I personaly brought my battery back to life by just replaceing one bad cell.
well, the old cells in the M300 battery were shot. The best one measured .42 volts, so even if it was just one bad cell causing the problems, all the cells would have permanent damage. My 8 cell's run time is still terrible - about an hour and ten minutes with the screen at full brightness - but you have to remember I used old cells. They actually came from a Micron Trek II that I bought for $25 over a year ago; I'm guessing the cells are probably a good 3 or 4 years old. Personally, I'd just buy one of these if you want an 8 cell battery. If you're wondering why I didn't, it's because I don't have enough money.

Cyrix_2k said:
well, the old cells in the M300 battery were shot. The best one measured .42 volts, so even if it was just one bad cell causing the problems, all the cells would have permanent damage. My 8 cell's run time is still terrible - about an hour and ten minutes with the screen at full brightness - but you have to remember I used old cells. They actually came from a Micron Trek II that I bought for $25 over a year ago; I'm guessing the cells are probably a good 3 or 4 years old. Personally, I'd just buy one of these if you want an 8 cell battery. If you're wondering why I didn't, it's because I don't have enough money.

I actully just bought this http://www.replacementpower.com/store/main.aspx?p=itemdetail&item=W2N400

Did you happen to drain the cell down before putting the pack together. I heard your supose to drain them down to 3volts before building a pack.

No, they were 50% charged according to the battery pack. I think the only reason some people suggest discharging the cells is so that if you were to short one by accident, nothing bad will happen. I was just careful to short anything while assembling the battery pack.

Let me know how that new battery works out. I'm thinking about buying one when I get the money. I did just buy a new battery for my Gateway Solo and it works great!

Cyrix_2k said:
No, they were 50% charged according to the battery pack. I think the only reason some people suggest discharging the cells is so that if you were to short one by accident, nothing bad will happen. I was just careful to short anything while assembling the battery pack.

Let me know how that new battery works out. I'm thinking about buying one when I get the money. I did just buy a new battery for my Gateway Solo and it works great!

I will let you know. It should be here friday. I am also trying to find a bigger battery for my ASUS Z92Km if you happen to see one let me know.

I have been rebuilding our laptop batteries at work for years now, i just pop over to the hobby store and buy 3500mah batteries for RC cars and they always work fine and at $4 a cell you cant beat it :)

You can also special order 4000mah batteries too but they cost alot more but might be worth it i donno.

Hey Cyrix did you calibrate that battery pack you built??? On my new battery I bought I was only getting like 2 hours. and it was showing up as a 2400mAH battery I calibratied it 3 times and now it shows up as a 3200mAH and I get like 5 hours. I should beable to get longer run time maybe I will do another calibration to see if I can get it to register as a 4400mAH. My new battery says to run it through 3-4 charge cycles to achieve maximum capacity. Using the Compaq battery calibtaror works the best for this. Since it will actully bring the battery down to 0%.

Only once. Right now, it's at my school running a hydroponics system until I get another machine up. I'll be sure to try calibrating it again once I get it back!

I have a very old but nice Sony 505 333mhz celeron laptop I put new batteries in. It takes 18650 cells like most notebooks, although it only needs 3x of them. The stock 1550mah cells didnt hold a charge at all. I replaced the old cells with brand new 2600 mah LC 18650s from batteryspace.com I now get over 3 hours life from only 3 cells! The only downside of these cells is the price of $9.99 each. I googled batteryspace coupon code and got like 5% off though.

Cyrix_2k said:
Only once. Right now, it's at my school running a hydroponics system until I get another machine up. I'll be sure to try calibrating it again once I get it back!

No idea what you mean but when you get it back I would calibrate the battery at least 3-4 times.

Bender said:
I have a very old but nice Sony 505 333mhz celeron laptop I put new batteries in. It takes 18650 cells like most notebooks, although it only needs 3x of them. The stock 1550mah cells didnt hold a charge at all. I replaced the old cells with brand new 2600 mah LC 18650s from batteryspace.com I now get over 3 hours life from only 3 cells! The only downside of these cells is the price of $9.99 each. I googled batteryspace coupon code and got like 5% off though.

Hey thanks for this site. I am thinking of making myself a 16 cell battery.

Back