• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Switched to WC and Love IT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evangs

Over the last 2 weeks I've read over 50 forum threads and researched as much as I could in preparation for my first WC build.

I have an i7 950 OC'd to 4.0GHz
2 GTX 570's
12 GB Ram
80 GB SSD
1 TB Raid 7200 rpm HDD

I bought a danger den cpx pro pump
got 2 danger den GTX 580/570 blocks for $140
danger den cpu block
swiftech 120.3 rad
1/2 inch ID tubing
6 120 fans on the rad

The system works really well and temps on GPU's have dropped 20C!!
CPU is running about 10 C cooler until I start up BF3, then the rad is overloaded. Going to install another swiftech 120.3 today.

idle temps:
-GPU'S 35 C
-CPU 40 C

load temps:
-GPU's 55-57 C
-CPU 70 C

rad is definitely overloading.

What I learned:
-graphics cards are really really thin, just a PCB with a giant heatsink
-T line or Res should be right before pump intake the rest of the order doesn't matter for the most part. My T line is before the rad which is before the intake. will move it when I install my second rad.
-WC'ing isn't as hard as I expected
-Pressing the power button for the first time with water inside my comp is ****ing scary!
-you never have enough rad!

SprintPhoto_bnjh4l.jpg

Last edited:
Umm it also could be that DD CPU block is about 3 years past it's prime. I don't think it can even keep up with your CPU. It kinda could be a poor flow rate from the weaker pump, but don't think it's that.

Do the temps jump to xx and slowly climb to 70C over 10 minutes or so, or jump to 70C right away?

And yea, you do need more rad. Have you read our stickies here? We don't even mention the DD blocks anymore in our guides I think........ We also have ways to figure out your heatload and places to find you flow rates etc.

BTW, there are such thigs as SLI fittings so you don't have that funny looped hose.

And possibly, on your pump, is the outlet on the top go to the center of the CPU block? The inlet? It matters. Kinda hard to see in that fuzzy, dark image.

ok finished installing a second rad.

load temps:
cpu - 63 C
gpu's - 40 C

this is after playing bf3 for several minutes, running 3D Mark 11 and Heaven Benchmark.

I do know about the SLI fittings, but I didn't have any and didn't want to wait to order some.... I know I know. but yeah, system is working really well now. the danger den blocks seem to be holding up alright.

Back