• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kayls Single stage vapour chill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
matttheniceguy said:
Huh? typo? different cooler? cpu reporting crazy temps? or does your cascade drop from below -100 to -50 when loaded?

What refrigerant do you have in the second stage?

i changed the thread a little. I started the thread as a single stage. Found the sweep stop (ie tunned the capillary line for best temps on a single stage) then moved the evap to the cascade. i tried to change the thread title but had no luck. i didnt want to start a new thread just that tunning it on a single stage then changing to cascade was part of the build. i have been working on this cascde over a few months.

At load the cascade goes from about -105c to around -102 to -103c at full load/ max overclock. the mother board reads the dies temps as -48c. but you cant really trust the die temps as this can change from mother board to mother board and cpu, i mainly use mother board reported die temps to help me know that i have mounted the block correctly. ie if im getting crap die temps compared to before, then i know i have bad cpu contact.
The cascade uses propane for first stage refrigerant and straight ethylene (99.95% pure / CP grade) as the second stage refrigerant.
ethylene boils at -103c 0psig. for my last cascade i posted here, i used the same compressors but c02 as the second stage refrigerant. co2 boils at -78c though and has issues of subliming (turning into dry ice after -55c) :burn:
i started the co2 cascade febuary this year, so you can see how long it has taken me to get to here. :bday:

well i have installed windows on the new dfi mobo and check the bios temp now

Attachments

• -63c bios.jpg
    -63c bios.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 298
and this is the final enclosure and hold down plate all finished

Attachments

• evap.jpg
    evap.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 293
I like your enclosure and hold down plate combe there. What plate is that exactly and where would I get one?

thanxs labrat. i had these made. I still waiting on the rest of them.
They have been laser cut and just need to be buffed after.
The inner hole is 50mm ID so i can slide it over suction line insulation if not too thick on single stage system i get away with 19mm thick insulation.

Hi Kayl.. great cascade! Ive been reading XS and TP for the past few days and this stuff is exellent! (basicly learking.. LOL)
Kinda currious about how the experimental HX's turned out.. the ones with the tight radius, I should probibly register and post over there as well..
I ended up stumbling across this fourm searching for volt mods .. LOL
Now Im fasinated with these forums.. oh yea.. and Hi all.. :)

greenmaji, ya mean the pipe hxs, i havnt had that much time to test them completly. (ie with smaller compressors like did with the coil hx on 2 x 1/4Hp compressors.)
I used a shovel handle to bend the pipe around to fit inside a 50mm pipe.

I have the pipe Hx to perform better than the first HX i made back in Janunary. one made in jan was a Tradition hx, 1/4" pipe INSIDE 1/2" pipe 12' long though.
i found it quiet hard to flood the hx at load, ie keep the hole hx at -40c.

Next hx ill make will be a coil hx again with 2 3/16" tubes in side 1/2" tube.
And alot longer, maybe 18' this time with a another 8' hx before the hx using a suction line hx off the second stage.
basically a suction line hx uses the second stage to pre cool the secondstage gas before it goes into the normal HX.

Labrat23 i used a 2" pipe thats 25cm long.

I picked up the latest batch of blocks today.
All of them are basically the same as the blocks before.

Attachments

• copper blocks 640.jpg
    copper blocks 640.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 172
Sorry cant say personal business there, but these took about 18hrs to make a on manual lathe though so that arnt cheap considering i have to pay someone by the hour to make them as well.
Since i got a few i struck a deal with the guy, I had a lot of other stuff done at the same time as well.

That's ok I guess... I guess it was pretty expensive. I have no idea what a lathe is, but I'm guessing if you went to a place with better equipment, then it would not take as long...

Geez Kayl, you're everywhere. Top work as always :clap:

Oh yeah and I found some where else in australia that sells those condensors I showed you, their retail price is a little cheaper too. I've contacted them, will let you know the result.

this is a lathe

sm_wb01.jpg

sm_wb04.jpg

Hey I use that exact same lathe. I had to look at your location just to make sure it wasn't the very one I am using. Changing speeds is a pain, but it is a very nice little lathe to have in a small shop.

Aussie_guy00000 said:
Geez Kayl, you're everywhere. Top work as always :clap:

Oh yeah and I found some where else in australia that sells those condensors I showed you, their retail price is a little cheaper too. I've contacted them, will let you know the result.

heheh Aussie_guy00000 this is where all my overclocking all started :)
so i pop back in every now and again still see if same old guys here.
I been busy at home doing od end jobs, but im back to work next week :bang head
so that means ill have time to answer the emails again :cool:

the evaps have been machined and now to test the new evap see if any better
evap now sucts last 2 layers at same time allowing the refrigerant to expand more before leaving. this is something that was done in the baker blocks which work very well.

Attachments

• evap both views.jpg
    evap both views.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 89
and side angle
will braze up and test next week.

Attachments

• evap sidecpu3.jpg
    evap sidecpu3.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 95
Back