• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keep Phenom II or Move to FX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I even know people with good 4 core phenoms that are already planning to skip even PileDriver and see if AMD changes the road map to much more IPC.

I even know people with good 4 core phenoms that are already planning to skip even PileDriver and see if AMD changes the road map to much more IPC.

That was what i was thinking about doing. skip piledriver and wait for steamroller where they are supposed to bump performance up a ton.

Phenom II x4 965@ 4.1ghz = You have that and it is being voiced about that it takes an FX running at 4.6Ghz to do the same amount of work. Not sure but beyond 4.2/4.3Ghz the FX processor calls for much more cooling than ones thinks is necessary. Piledriver is supposed to run cooler but it needs to run a lot cooler and faster with increased IPC to really shine. AMD did the whole thing to themselves. If users don't want it, then why make it?

That was what i was thinking about doing. skip piledriver and wait for steamroller where they are supposed to bump performance up a ton.

I think I'll do that too.

1) You have a high end mobo, so if the later platforms are compatible with it with better x86, that will be great, save some dough on the mobo.
tho I think its gona take AMD some years to get there.

2) meanwhile if its just to scratch an itch with minimal dough, play with an apu.

Have you got something that will use all 8 cores well(Very well)? Or maybe you are somebody who would benefit from AES-NI acceleration. Or maybe you have a nice water cooling setup and cheap electricity. If not then you can skip the FX-8150. At least one person reading this thread is going "k, now hicks says cinebench", I'm not going to disappoint you. It's generally a good comparison. Just remember that the 8150 is excellent at Truecrypt and Cinebench doesn't note that obviously.

I'm betting in Cinebench your processor is scoring 1.2-1.3 single core and 4.8 to 5.2 multi core(score multiplier of almost exactly 4) You're getting roughly the performance you'd get from an FX-6100 overclocked to 4.5Ghz(and you are 10-20% better off in single core performance). To get a single core score of 1.2 here the 8150 needs to hit about 4.9Ghz...@ 4.9ghz the 8150 is going to require something other than air cooling, most stable air cooling people seem to fall in around 4.5Ghz. Using all of the cores the score multiplier will be around 6.75.

So yes, it's an upgrade from your X4 in optimal situations but waiting for Piledriver or buying a Phenom II X6(like I did) are likely both better choices unless you can get that 8150 at a very nice price.

I'm thinking heavily on the A10 5800K APU for my next system since so far it seems to be impressive, for now I think the Phenom II's can hold up for another year or so until Steamroller comes along.

For the time being, the Bulldozer line has been a flop, I built a couple for people and they're not bad but I held off from getting one myself after hearing all the negative buzz about them.

i myself am gona try out the FX8350 since it is gona have native suport for DDR3 1866, pluss a native speed of 4-4.2ghz clock and acording to the latest test results as of yesterday the fenom II's are still domanating in single thread. but in multithread and average its geting around 15% better scores over the phenoms. also its gona be released in a water cooling setup just like the fx 8150 was. check the links for performance and benches.

http://wccftech.com/amd-fx-8350-retail-chip-performance-exposed/

http://wccftech.com/retail-amd-fx-8350-watercooling-package-pictured/

i like my 1100 t but im thinkin the vishera will be a nice little upgrade till steam roller specialy with the retail water setup!

I'm kind of thinking piledriver will equal phenomII in most applications. I owned a few bulldozers and those only really exelled under linux with apps written to truly use all 8 cores. most winders apps are single threaded any way but i think we will be seeing more multi threaded apps come slowly. I am all phenomII right now but have an 4170 on the way to play with.
I kind of feel that if you have real work to do stay with phenom, skip piledriver and watch what happens with steamroller.
if you just want to play, wait till the price drops on pile driver then jump in but get your heat abatement program ramped up early if your going 8 core.

I very much like bulldozer but, I no longer have work for it to do. it's a darn bunch of fun to overclock with that's why i have a 4170 on the way.

Last edited:
i myself am gona try out the FX8350 since it is gona have native suport for DDR3 1866, pluss a native speed of 4-4.2ghz clock and acording to the latest test results as of yesterday the fenom II's are still domanating in single thread. but in multithread and average its geting around 15% better scores over the phenoms. also its gona be released in a water cooling setup just like the fx 8150 was. check the links for performance and benches.

http://wccftech.com/amd-fx-8350-retail-chip-performance-exposed/

http://wccftech.com/retail-amd-fx-8350-watercooling-package-pictured/

i like my 1100 t but im thinkin the vishera will be a nice little upgrade till steam roller specialy with the retail water setup!

Can we assume the retail amd fx closed loop cooler works the same about antec 620 or a h80 corsair?

And it comes with the cpu price?

I do not agree with all the FX hate. Mine works just fine, and I can tell you for a fact that it performs better in games than Phenoms. That being said, if I was running a 965 would I go for an FX? Maybe. I would not expect big increases ,except in some multi threaded games like BF3, and FXs also have higher memory throughput and better Crossfire performance. All of this garbage about Phenoms being able to do better at pure math benchmarks is completely irrelevant to me. FXs play games faster and smoother than Phenoms. THAT matters to me. If Phenoms Gamed better than FX's you can rest assured I would get one out of the drawer and put it back in the ol' Game Rig.

"swampdonkey's" original question is >> Should I keep my Phenom II x4 965 or Upgrade to FX-8150? << Most of us have responded NO to that question and without hating on FX Bulldozers but making a physical as well as financial decision.

"swampdonkey" did not ask about upgrading to an FX-8350 or even a Bulldozer FX-4170. But he wanted to know about upgrading to the FX-8150 and in general most of us seem to doubt the value of doing that upgrade.

"swampdonkey" does not mention what cooler he is using with his 965BE with but his current cooler certainly will have a tougher time cooling an FX-8150 at 4.5Ghz and is surely a consideration if moving from P2 to FX-8150.

So on the day he asked about moving from P2 965 BE to FX-8150 as a wise move, and most answered no, it seems even today that particular move he asked about is still not the most prudent of moves. That is not hating on FX bulldozer but a look at the what-ifs' and making a suggestion based on what many of us have found to be the current state of affairs.

I do not agree with all the FX hate. Mine works just fine, and I can tell you for a fact that it performs better in games than Phenoms. That being said, if I was running a 965 would I go for an FX? Maybe. I would not expect big increases ,except in some multi threaded games like BF3, and FXs also have higher memory throughput and better Crossfire performance. All of this garbage about Phenoms being able to do better at pure math benchmarks is completely irrelevant to me. FXs play games faster and smoother than Phenoms. THAT matters to me. If Phenoms Gamed better than FX's you can rest assured I would get one out of the drawer and put it back in the ol' Game Rig.

I've never used a Phenom at all so I can't compare to them, I skipped straight from an Athlon 64 x2 6000+ to an FX-4100 for my gaming rig, and I couldn't be happier. :) Even if Phenom is better, I really don't think I'd notice it because all of my games play smoother than I ever expected.

"swampdonkey's" original question is >> Should I keep my Phenom II x4 965 or Upgrade to FX-8150? << Most of us have responded NO to that question and without hating on FX Bulldozers but making a physical as well as financial decision.

"swampdonkey" did not ask about upgrading to an FX-8350 or even a Bulldozer FX-4170. But he wanted to know about upgrading to the FX-8150 and in general most of us seem to doubt the value of doing that upgrade.

fo·rum/ˈfôrəm/Noun: 1.A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
2.An Internet message board.

i was just say that "i myself am gona try out the FX8350 since it is gona have native suport for DDR3 1866, pluss a native speed of 4-4.2ghz clock " giving him my view on his question being i have a phenom II and am also interested in upgrading.

Last edited:
daily use and what it will do for YOU and benchmarks differ greatly.
I don't dislike any of the 8120's i had, quite the reverse is true.
the only other way i could have gotten the job done was to go intel and everything would have cost around twice as much. i now have that run on a mainframe in france and that is why i got rid of my eight cores. if the heat had not been an issue i would have kept one to play with.
I don't think amd over hyped it to a silly degree, the hype i bought into was in forums and places other than amd. so I can say that with bulldozer i got a fairish deal.
I just don't see a 10-15 percent improvment woth what thay are asking for pile driver.

Back