• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4GB DDR3-1866 CL10 1.5V - HX318C10FWK2/8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Recently we had a review of Kingston Fury DDR3-1866 on the Overclockers -> http://www.overclockers.com/kingston-hyperx-fury-ddr3-1866-2x4gb-memory-kit-review , but I thought I will make one more thread about this kit anyway ;)

As you may already know ( or not ) HyperX Fury has no XMP profiles. All settings have been programmed in SPD and you don't have to worry to set anything manually as auto settings will give you desired speed, timings and voltage.
Also long list of compatible chipsets makes it one of the most user friendly memory series on the market.

I've also received white Fury modules and here is couple of photos:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Auto settings are working perfectly on my motherboards. For tests I'm using ASRock Z87M OCFormula with latest BIOS and i5 4670K CPU.

HyperX_Fury_1866_auto.jpg

HyperX_Fury_1866_auto_2.jpg

I didn't check what is in my memory kit but in some other tests and reviews I saw Hynix MFR and overclocking results are showing that too. 8GB kit is based on single sided modules while 16GB will be double sided.

Here is link to my full review:
http://www.funkykit.com/reviews/memory/kingston-hyperx-fury-8gb-ddr3-1866-cl10-memory-review

Last edited:
Overclocking results

2133 10-11-10-28 1.65V

2133 is highest clock at nearly default timings. However I had to raise voltage to make it stable.

HyperX_Fury_1866_2133.jpg

HyperX_Fury_1866_2133_2.jpg

2400 11-12-11-28 1.65V

HyperX_Fury_1866_2400.jpg

HyperX_Fury_1866_2400_2.jpg

2800 12-14-14-35 1.70V

To make 2600/2666/2800 I had to use the same timings but voltage for 2800 had to be slightly higher. In this case below are results from highest result which was close to stability ( passed HyperPi32M ).

HyperX_Fury_1866_2800.jpg

HyperX_Fury_1866_2800_2.jpg

As always you are free to leave comment or ask any question.
If you haven't seen Lvcoyote's review on the front page based on the same memory kit then you can check it clicking on this link http://www.overclockers.com/kingston-hyperx-fury-ddr3-1866-2x4gb-memory-kit-review

Last edited:
Pretty nice memory for the price. Easiest memory to configure that I saw so far. I have no idea why other manufacturers didn't decide to make SPD profiles with clocks above 1600. It's pretty simple and as we see works without issues.

Hey Woomack, Good Info! I have the exact same RAM, except 4x8 gb kit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8E910Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I understand more is not better when it comes to benching. Should I only bench with minimal memory, 2x2 or 2x4?

I assume the same as reviewed applies to my sticks. I am just learning the nuances of RAM and it seems maybe I originally made a good buy for my current Rookie needs.

I'll go through the motions here and see how things go.

Thanks for the review...

Salud

2x8GB should perform better than 2x4GB in this case so just try how high it can go. Getting older and good performing 2x4GB or 2x2GB will be hard right now.
I would try something like 2400 10-12-12, 2600 10-12-12, 2666 10-12-12/11-13-13, 2800 12-14-14 1.65-1.75V for benching. Higher voltages may help too but at least my Hynix based 2x8GB kits didn't like anything much higher than ~1.8V.

Not worth to spend your money just because it's high chance to get single sided modules, not to mention that probably it won't pass 2600 memory clock anyway. Check 2 sticks of your HyperX FURY kit at 2400-2800. If you make it work at CL10-11 then it will be good for benching.

So, I have finally got around to going through the motions here after educmating myself a little to memory lingo and meaning...
Since I am using the same memory as this review, I figured it was as good a place as any to post,

HyperX Fury has no XMP profiles. All settings have been programmed in SPD and you don't have to worry to set anything manually as auto settings will give you desired speed, timings and voltage.

I think I understand XMP and SPD profiles, but it gets a little confusing. I am not sure of the difference:confused: SPD is a base profile that holds XMP profiles, or the other way?! And how does this relate to the JDEC#.
And what is NB Frequency? Seems there are conflicting opinions about what it reflects?
And, do I need the AIDA application? I dont see where the changes are taking place. Is this in the Bios?

So, in my Bios, it looks like this. Are the Memory speeds listed the SPD profiles?
I go with Auto and this it what it looks like
MSI_SnapShot.jpg MSI_SnapShot_00.jpg MSI_SnapShot_01.jpg

memAuto.JPG

I then try:
MSI_SnapShot_03.jpg
mem2000.JPG

I don't see the same SPD settings as illustrated in review?!

Woomack, apologize for my dense understanding of RAM timings. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

At first check how you installed memory as it's working in single channel mode.
SPD = standard memory profile which boards are reading when is Auto mode enabled
XMP = "overclocked" memory profile which is usually required to enable in BIOS to run at declared settings, in this case SPD=XMP so it will run the same on both profiles

My settings will be difference because tested by me memory was 2x4GB , not 2x8GB. Different density, different profiles etc.

CPUZ memory profiles table is almost always wrong. JEDEC profile is auto profile compatible with JEDEC standards - not important for your needs.

Rookie mistake

So yeah, durr. One quick check of the fine manual and I was able to rectify this issue...

So does this look better...
mem2200.JPG

This is using the 2200 setting.

Please clarify a few things for me:

-The choices I see in my Bios for DRAM Frequency (as shown in post #10) are the SPD profiles?

-All I have to do is select the desired profile and deal with some voltage adjustments?

Woomack said:
...2133 is highest clock at nearly default timings. However I had to raise voltage to make it stable....
...To make 2600/2666/2800 I had to use the same timings but voltage for 2800 had to be slightly higher...

this infers you are making adjustments to the timing?! If so, do I do this in the Bios??

Thanks for your continued help!!! Much appreciated, eventually I'll get this...

Salud

So yeah, durr. One quick check of the fine manual and I was able to rectify this issue...

So does this look better...
Yes, at least it's running in dual channel :)

Please clarify a few things for me:

-The choices I see in my Bios for DRAM Frequency (as shown in post #10) are the SPD profiles?

-All I have to do is select the desired profile and deal with some voltage adjustments?

Leave profiles alone. Don't even look at SPD/JEDEC profiles.
Set manually 2400 , bclk 100MHz, main timings 11-12-12 1.65V and check if it's working. If yes then set 2600 or 2666 11-13-13 1.65V and check if it's working. If yes then try to run 2400 and 2600/2666 at CL10-12-12 up to 1.75V.

All you set in BIOS in overclocking tab or memory timings tab.

Back