• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kuhler 620 installation issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eflan

Hi there, long time lurker.... first time poster.

EDIT I'm a moron and I figured it out. The backplate goes on the BACK of the motherboard. Go figure!/EDIT

I finally went ahead and bought an aftermarket heatsink for my PC that I had built in January that's using a Gigabyte P7A-B3-U3 ATX board. As the subject says, I chose an Antec Kuhler h2o 620, but I've encountered a problem.

When I removed the stock heatsink I noticed a lot of things surrounding the CPU - I want to call them capacitators, but I could be way off. I didn't think much of it, I just cleaned off the paste, then dug out the mounting bracket that gets affixed to the board. It doesn't fit, and there is no way for me to make it fit.

You can find a picture of the board here.

Now, I'm not looking forward to returning this - and would much rather try to get it to fit. Is that backplate absolutely required, or can it be skipped? I'm wondering if its just there for support in transit, or if it just won't stay put without that backplate.

My desktop isn't operational at the moment since I have no thermal paste to put the original heatsink back on. Any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You mean backplate or mounting bracket?

I think I see. The round part of the bracket rides on the solid capacitors in your pic that are to the top of the CPU socket? Thats the top. But you mention backplate? There is a backplate right? Backplates go on the back of the mobo.

Can you show some pics exactly where you have issues?

Back