• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LAN Rig project in Silverstone SG05

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamesman32

Here's what I've been working on this spring. I don't have a name for it yet xD

Specs on the rig are:
Zotac H55 ITX (Shipped)
Intel i5 750 (Have)
4GB G. Skill DDR3 (Have)
Gigabyte 5770 (Shipped)
OCZ Vertex 30gb (Win 7) (Have)
WD 320gb 2.5" (Files) (Have)
Corsair H50 push/pull (Have)
Ultra X4 400w modular (Have)
Silverstone SG05b (Have)

These first pics are just with the PSU and H50

001.jpg

Here you can see the sponge painting I did. Black case with white paint, applied with a household sponge

003-1.jpg

I mounted the front fan outside the case, to allow for the H50 and another fan inside. The fan fit right into the place where the mesh used to be on the stock front panel. I used some caulk to hold the fan on (prevents vibration) and used some spackle to fill in the gaps between the fan and the panel.

004.jpg

Cut a hole in the top mesh for the PSU's fan using some tin snips

005.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Hope you guys like it so far, more to come when the rest of the hardware arrives! :thup:

Also, for those not familiar with the case....this is what it originally looked like

SG05-Inside.jpg

17.jpg

Last edited:
I love the paint job, nice work. Was there no modular SSF PSU available?

I love the paint job, nice work. Was there no modular SSF PSU available?

The one that's in the pics actually is modular. It's kinda hard to tell, but it's 100% modular, so even the 24 pin is removable. As far as I know, it's the only modular SFF PSU on the market. The problem is, it's a bit bigger than the standard SG05 PSU, whose form factor is "PS3". The Ultra's is "MATX". They use the same mounting bracket, but MATX PSUs are usually a bit longer than PS3s.

man that looks awesome, gj! I'm a sucker for these compact builds.

Thanks man!

That looks amazing. I am liking the smaller case builds a lot more these days. Thinking about making a Frankenstein PC to use as a HTPC from parts I have around here. Just need to get a hard drive for it and a PS. Might just use the 300gig IDE Seagate I have in my rig now when my SSD and SATA drives get here.

i think if it was me i would put the sapphire 5850 in there..
the thermals make it a prime canidate, especially for a small lan box..
i bios modded mine and im geting 920 / 1200 speeds with amazing thermals...40c max..just to let you know..

That looks amazing. I am liking the smaller case builds a lot more these days.

Thanks man!

i think if it was me i would put the sapphire 5850 in there..
the thermals make it a prime canidate, especially for a small lan box..
i bios modded mine and im geting 920 / 1200 speeds with amazing thermals...40c max..just to let you know..

Good to know, thanks for the info. I had originally picked the HIS because I liked the price and heatsink color scheme, but I'll check out the Sapphire.

Very nice looking build like the paint job well done!!

Thanks! :thup:

That looks really good! I built one of those a year or two back, tossed in a tuner card so when it wasn't running to LAN parties it was in my bedroom acting as a little media center. I miss that little bugger. :thup:

love it!
it looks beasty as. :santa:

i'm thinking about getting something like this for a LAN rig as well...after i finish school of course. :thup:

it looks pretty good, i like the psu fan hole the best.. ever thought of getting some window molding round the edge of the hole? to you know make it look professional, its only like a dollar for 1 foot..

That looks really good! I built one of those a year or two back, tossed in a tuner card so when it wasn't running to LAN parties it was in my bedroom acting as a little media center. I miss that little bugger. :thup:

Thanks! It'll be used for LAN parties mostly this summer, as well as powering a few displays in my pit area at events that my robotics team goes to.

love it!
it looks beasty as. :santa:

i'm thinking about getting something like this for a LAN rig as well...after i finish school of course. :thup:

It's definitely worth it, with the availability of parts today. Everything in this rig can be ordered from Newegg :thup:

it looks pretty good, i like the psu fan hole the best.. ever thought of getting some window molding round the edge of the hole? to you know make it look professional, its only like a dollar for 1 foot..

I had considered using some U Channel molding, but I thought it would make the hole look sloppy, as the edges are perfectly straight as it is. Plus, the U Channel would kind of become an eye sore in contrast with the paint scheme, I think. Thanks though!

Small update for you guys today.

Ended up not buying the 5850, and went with the Gigabyte Super OC 5770. The 5850 was at the top of my budget and not quite necessary.

Also, my motherboard is on the way back from RMA, so as soon as it arrives, I'll get the rig together and take some final pics. :thup:

Back